Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6596 6597 [6598] 6599 6600 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461578 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98955 on: March 22, 2016, 05:51:01 pm »

The skills and equipment needed for illicit gun manufacturing are greater than those needed for brewing beer or growing pot, but aren't nearly as great as what you need to run a meth lab or even a proper still. Ammunition is a bit harder to make, unless you're willing to use black powder instead of smokeless, but there isn't that great a skill gap.

There are gunsmiths making working AK-47s in the middle east out of scrap metal with less equipment than I could get fedexed to me for under five hundred dollars.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #98956 on: March 22, 2016, 05:59:34 pm »

The skills and equipment needed for illicit gun manufacturing are greater than those needed for brewing beer or growing pot, but aren't nearly as great as what you need to run a meth lab or even a proper still. Ammunition is a bit harder to make, unless you're willing to use black powder instead of smokeless, but there isn't that great a skill gap.

There are gunsmiths making working AK-47s in the middle east out of scrap metal with less equipment than I could get fedexed to me for under five hundred dollars.
The thing is that drugs are far more dangerous to the user than to the people around them. It's pretty hard to use a drug as a murder without it becoming pretty much the act of poisoning someone (and there are better options for that). Drugs are made to have psychological effects and addict. Guns are made exclusively to kill. When you buy a gun, it's probably because you'll want to shoot something (that may or may not be alive).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #98957 on: March 22, 2016, 06:03:49 pm »

Having been thrice attacked by people who were high on something or other, one of which was nearly able to rip my (deadbolted) back door open before the cops got there, and having had no less than ten close acquaintances beaten and robbed for drug money, I strenuously disagree.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98958 on: March 22, 2016, 06:07:28 pm »

All that proves is that both guns and (some) drugs are a problem that isn't going to be fixed by making more.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #98959 on: March 22, 2016, 06:08:13 pm »

the most harmful drug available takes very little effort to make anyway (let some juice sit out for a while)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #98960 on: March 22, 2016, 06:12:43 pm »

All that proves is that both guns and (some) drugs are a problem that isn't going to be fixed by making more.

All that proves is that, if I didn't have a gun, and the police were five minutes slower, I would be dead.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #98961 on: March 22, 2016, 06:15:50 pm »

the most harmful drug available takes very little effort to make anyway (let some juice sit out for a while)
Alcohol is weirdly accepted for how harmful it can be.  BUT I would point out that alcohol and cars are somewhat intertwined.  Cars are potentially very dangerous and widely available/present; drunkenness just exacerbates a danger that's already there.

(not saying that alcohol wouldn't result in harm to others without cars, just that it over-represents the dangers of drunkenness)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98962 on: March 22, 2016, 06:19:42 pm »

All that proves is that, if I didn't have a gun, and the police were five minutes slower, I would be dead.
Let's be honest, a drug-addled madman ripping at your door is kinda uncommon. And it'd be even more uncommon with sensible drug policies and competent policing. Shooting the bastard is the last resort of last resorts.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

CURRENTYEAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Because it's 2016!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98963 on: March 22, 2016, 06:19:53 pm »

The problem is, a huge cultural shift happened. It used to be that in the US, you could get an anti-tank rifle out of a mail-order catalog, let alone an SMG or a pistol. There are pictures of kids taking guns to school because that was gonna be the afternoon's PE activity, target shooting.

Now, banning things like .50 BMG rifles is clearly done for the government's safety, rather than the populace's. When was the last time you saw somebody do a drive-by shooting with a rifle that was longer than the car?

A combination of a cultural shift (as well as a growing demographic which shall not be named which commits a lot of crime) and increasing government paranoia led to this, I think.
NOT BRAZILIAN

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #98964 on: March 22, 2016, 06:21:34 pm »

Alcohol is weirdly accepted for how harmful it can be.  BUT I would point out that alcohol and cars are somewhat intertwined.  Cars are potentially very dangerous and widely available/present; drunkenness just exacerbates a danger that's already there.

(not saying that alcohol wouldn't result in harm to others without cars, just that it over-represents the dangers of drunkenness)

"alcohol isn't as harmful as the statistics suggest, it just happens to ruin the user's judgement so much they think that operating a machine of over a ton at high speeds is a good idea while their reaction times are slow"

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98965 on: March 22, 2016, 06:22:39 pm »

Eh, alcohol leads to lots of stupid decisions that aren't car related as well. Not to mention alcohol poisoning and long term health effects, like liver damage and weight gain. It's not like alcohol would be suddenly at the bottom of the list if we didn't have cars.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #98966 on: March 22, 2016, 06:26:00 pm »

Let's be honest, a drug-addled madman ripping at your door is kinda uncommon.

It is not. Not here, anyway.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #98967 on: March 22, 2016, 06:26:29 pm »

So, as we careen down the path where we sacrifice self-defense, we completely ignore the other, non-direct, non-immediate effects of narcotics.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98968 on: March 22, 2016, 06:28:29 pm »

So what we've learned here today is that America sucks.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98969 on: March 22, 2016, 06:29:59 pm »

So what we've learned here today is that America sucks.
Honestly I kinda concur...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 6596 6597 [6598] 6599 6600 ... 11040