Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6368 6369 [6370] 6371 6372 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14453245 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #95535 on: February 06, 2016, 11:00:41 pm »

The question is the context in which those statements come up.

Though the last one, well, I don't agree with the translator.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95536 on: February 06, 2016, 11:06:39 pm »

The question is the context in which those statements come up.

The pictures show the context if you take a look at the backgrounds.
For example the first one is at the bar.
Probably 2 friends drinking beer and one decided to open up and tell his pall about being born with a different gender.

The "You look just liker a real woman" seems to take place at school or university. Same scenario.
Trans friend opens up. CIS friend says "Wow i would have never guessed!"
I's only poor choice of words and nothing more.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:09:03 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95537 on: February 06, 2016, 11:08:53 pm »

That's different words, though.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95538 on: February 06, 2016, 11:08:58 pm »

i think the issue is less context and more "why do you need to say these things"
because they're unnecessary and pretty rude
Black lives matter.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95539 on: February 06, 2016, 11:14:20 pm »

1. Yeah that one is a dick thing to say.

2. That one is, to me, looking to be offended. It could just as easily be translated as "Nobody has come out as trans to me before," and be just as valid.

3. Dude is basically looking to get a gold star for being a decent human being, so yeah.

4. Same as number one, that's a dick thing to say.

5. Poor wording on the cisgender persons part, could easily have been worded as "I'm glad you trust me enough to tell me," and be just as valid.

6. Creepy as hell.

7. While I agree it can take a bit of getting used to, the answer to that is suck it up and practice until you think of your friend as their gender, not to whine to them about "oh it's so haaaard," for the simple fact that it's 1000x as hard to be trans so it'd be like complaining about a paper cut to someone with their legs crushed beneath heavy machinery. [note i'm not saying you should never complain about something because others have it worse, but... think about who you're complaining to about what, okay? you wouldn't complain to a starving orphan about "oh man I haven't eaten all day!" would you? especially if that's hyperbole and you ate breakfast or something]

8. That one is just literally assuming the person means the opposite of what they say, so yeah let's not.

5/8 I can agree with the article writer, so that's three there that I feel are wrong. And this is after the writer has probably chosen from among a multitude of scenarios and re-worked them to put the cisgender person in a bad light, so it doesn't speak well to how they view people in their day to day life. I probably would not enjoy being around this person.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:16:23 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95540 on: February 06, 2016, 11:16:06 pm »

@Descan:Agreed.
Sigtext

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #95541 on: February 06, 2016, 11:17:47 pm »

That whole article makes it sound like the author desperately wants to be marginalised when he really isn't

i think the issue is less context and more "why do you need to say these things"
because they're unnecessary and pretty rude
To be fair, saying nothing when someone tells you they're trans is probably worse than saying, "oh really I never would have realised" or whatever

I mean all the examples in the article (barring possibly "I love trans people" which sounds kinda weird) sound basically like people trying to say they're okay with it in roundabout ways. Reading further into it than that is getting towards trying to be offended.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95542 on: February 06, 2016, 11:19:19 pm »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95543 on: February 06, 2016, 11:20:48 pm »

snip
Note that 1 and 4 were people trying to give a compliment.
Those were dick things they said but not on purpose.

6 was... yeah.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95544 on: February 06, 2016, 11:22:31 pm »

People saying "You're so smart for a black man!" and/or "You're black? But you're so smart!" are also "trying to give a compliment."

Doesn't make it not racist.

Same principle here.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95545 on: February 06, 2016, 11:23:31 pm »

i don't really get what 2 means myself, so. eh.

5 makes sense. it's not "honesty" so much as a confession. because, you know, people can be ridiculed and persecuted for being trans. someone can easily switch dispositions when they find out and when you say it like the person did it sounds a little like they think the trans person did something wrong (in the sense of "thanks for being honest with me about breaking my window" or something)

for 8, it happens horribly often that, when someone feels the need to assure someone else that they don't have a problem with them being gay/trans/etc. it's because they do and they don't want to seem like an asshole (which they are)
Black lives matter.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95546 on: February 06, 2016, 11:28:00 pm »

For two, the cis person is saying "I've never known any trans people," and the translator is saying he "assumes he can tell when someone is trans," because if he couldn't tell that someone is trans, then he wouldn't say he "never met one," because he would know he could have but not known it. Meaning that he'd be saying that no trans person can pass as their gender.

As I said for this one, I'd chalk it up to poor wording at worst, so it's a bit hard to translate something that I don't agree with. Have to get into their head, yeah? :U

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #95547 on: February 06, 2016, 11:28:58 pm »

People saying "You're so smart for a black man!" and/or "You're black? But you're so smart!" are also "trying to give a compliment."

Doesn't make it not racist.

Same principle here.
The point is more that offence is not intended, so the proper response would be to point out that it was poorly phrased, not get all upset and cry about it on the internet. The former helps reconcile differences, the latter makes you look like an insufferable whiner.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95548 on: February 06, 2016, 11:29:45 pm »

the proper response would be to point out that it was poorly phrased
That's what they're doing.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95549 on: February 06, 2016, 11:31:39 pm »

For two, the cis person is saying "I've never known any trans people," and the translator is saying he "assumes he can tell when someone is trans," because if he couldn't tell that someone is trans, then he wouldn't say he "never met one," because he would know he could have but not known it. Meaning that he'd be saying that no trans person can pass as their gender.

As I said for this one, I'd chalk it up to poor wording at worst, so it's a bit hard to translate something that I don't agree with. Have to get into their head, yeah? :U
But according to you he didn't say he's "never met one", he said he's "never known one". Which exactly means that he could have met a trans person but not known it, like you said.

Like, hell, I've probably met a few trans or gay people back in the day. Doesn't mean I knew it at the time.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6368 6369 [6370] 6371 6372 ... 11040