Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6322 6323 [6324] 6325 6326 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14445664 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #94845 on: January 30, 2016, 07:44:38 pm »

OW: Oh, yes, that just leaves mine acting dead* until I press the reset button, so I changed it. :V

* it looks off but the power button does NOTHING

Aklyon: Once the bios finishes its work the bios buttons won't do anything anyways (unless uefi is magically different), so...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94846 on: January 30, 2016, 07:58:32 pm »

Yeah, my Win10 machine goes from "off" to "at the login screen" in about 2 seconds. Even if it was possible and I knew ahead of time which button to press, it'd take a while to time it right.

Presumably it still auto-boots into the usual safe start menu if there's a serious problem, I'd think.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94847 on: January 30, 2016, 08:08:13 pm »

Haha, no, it tries to run an automated fixing-attempt instead. And when that fails it generally (in my experience) just moans at you. I was very glad I made a bootable w10 install USB key, since that has all the troubleshooting stuff on it, although it's not as nice as a Linux rescue disc, what with the lack of browsers and stuff.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94848 on: January 30, 2016, 08:12:07 pm »

Oh wow, that's dreadful.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94849 on: January 30, 2016, 09:06:03 pm »

So I found two traditionally low tier enemies that are suddenly super powerful enemies in other games

There is Ghosts who are unstoppable killing machines in Quest for Glory

Then there are Skeletons, yes skeletons, who are insanely tough elite mooks in Die by the Sword.

It is just weird to see traditionally chump enemies suddenly get boosted to deadly status.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94850 on: January 30, 2016, 09:11:58 pm »

This is the most confusing hangover ever.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94851 on: January 30, 2016, 09:12:59 pm »

For some reason, my screen resolution did Weird Shit, and then my desktop got all messed up
I had to re-drag all my icons and whatnot where I wanted them.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #94852 on: January 30, 2016, 09:16:59 pm »

So I found two traditionally low tier enemies that are suddenly super powerful enemies in other games

There is Ghosts who are unstoppable killing machines in Quest for Glory

Then there are Skeletons, yes skeletons, who are insanely tough elite mooks in Die by the Sword.

It is just weird to see traditionally chump enemies suddenly get boosted to deadly status.
In games, ghosts are either low-level chumps or unkillable entities in traditionally the scariest part of the game, e.g. the hotel from Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Which has a real problem with colon cancer, by the by.

Really, ghosts should be intimidating in all games. Why? They're ethereal. How can you kill something that your sword passes right through? For this reason, it always bothered me in Elder Scrolls that you could bludgeon a ghost to death. At that point, you're removing all the cool bits of a ghost and leaving a generic enemy, just glowing and spooky.

Napstablook in Undertale is the exception because it makes sense in context that you can hit him, he's sufficiently ghostish in other ways, he's got a kickass theme song, and is just all-around cool.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94853 on: January 30, 2016, 09:19:50 pm »

In Oblivion, at least, you can't harm ghosts with normal weapons - as I recall you need silver or daedric to harm them. Or magic.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94854 on: January 30, 2016, 09:20:24 pm »

But you aren't actually hitting Napstablook. He's just lowering his healthbar out of courtesy so you won't feel bad.

Ghosts should be scary as fuck. They are supposed to be immune to physical damage, unless the source of that damage is magical in nature.

Skeletons can go either way though. Depends on the setting.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #94855 on: January 30, 2016, 09:23:34 pm »

I think if they're able to keep moving after being broken apart, they're scary. If not, they're mooks.
Also, didn't realize that about Napstablook. Yet another reason he's one of my favorite characters.

In Oblivion, at least, you can't harm ghosts with normal weapons - as I recall you need silver or daedric to harm them. Or magic.
I wasn't sure about Elder Scrolls... To be honest, they all blur together for me. :S

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #94856 on: January 30, 2016, 09:25:06 pm »

thank mr skeltal, doot

Speaking of which, what do you guys think about zombie mooks? I think my biggest issue with portrayal of zombies as rank-and-file enemies is when there's canonically an infectious plague but getting bitten just knocks a couple points off your health bar.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94857 on: January 30, 2016, 09:29:14 pm »

One thing that also bothers me is when games have places defined as "cursed" or "haunted" and full of undead etc, but what is the cause of the curse? Did lots of people die in this place for some reason? Its almost never mentioned anywhere. Also, curses and other stuff that affect everything and everyone except the main character, even if he's having direct contact with it and reasons to be involved in it.

Even Legend of Zelda does this. Its been said multiple times that whoever enters the lost woods and isn't a kokiri becomes a stalfos, IE a undead skeleton thing. Link is later explained to not be a kokiri, so he should have become a stalfos, except this never happens and is never mentioned in the series, at least in regards to link, since this is a thing that happens to some less important side characters.
/spoiler]
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94858 on: January 30, 2016, 09:29:44 pm »

I think Left For Dead 1 and 2 explain it by having the players be carriers (i.e. symptomless but capable of spreading it), right?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94859 on: January 30, 2016, 09:32:08 pm »

Yeah.  They seem to be immune, but eventually it becomes clear that they're carriers.
That guy you got the cola for?  Yeah, he turned later.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 6322 6323 [6324] 6325 6326 ... 11040