Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6242 6243 [6244] 6245 6246 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14456143 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #93645 on: January 10, 2016, 02:55:48 pm »

Drive your quad bike into a bush at 20km/h? Dead. Drive off an embankment at 60km/h, front-flip, bounce twice on the way down? Barely scratched.

Arma is silly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93646 on: January 10, 2016, 03:14:07 pm »

Itlian police on Sunday were investigating the death of an American woman whose naked body was discovered in her home in Florence.

Ashley Olsen, 35, from Summer Haven, Fla., who moved to Florence from the United States three years ago, was found strangled on Saturday in her one-bedroom apartment in the arty Santo Spirito district of the Tuscan city, authorities said.

I don't know where the famous Ashley Olsen is from, but I know she's younger than that. And yet there's the link on the name. ???
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #93647 on: January 10, 2016, 03:38:09 pm »

Itlian police on Sunday were investigating the death of an American woman whose naked body was discovered in her home in Florence.
Ashley Olsen, 35, from Summer Haven, Fla., who moved to Florence from the United States three years ago, was found strangled on Saturday in her one-bedroom apartment in the arty Santo Spirito district of the Tuscan city, authorities said.
I don't know where the famous Ashley Olsen is from, but I know she's younger than that. And yet there's the link on the name. ???
Different Ashley Olsen's. The murdered one was Ashley Ann Olsen (age 35, an artist), while the famous one is Ashley Fuller Olsen (age 29 an actress/fashion designer/misc).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93648 on: January 10, 2016, 04:28:19 pm »

Browsing an old forum discussion when through some coincidence all parties involved decided it was a good time to change their avatar.

I completely lost track of the conversation.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #93649 on: January 10, 2016, 04:34:05 pm »

Is this a good time to change our avatars?
I mean, mine changes all the damn time.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #93650 on: January 10, 2016, 07:12:10 pm »

So I'm trying to do some work with neural networks for the creative component of my degree. I decided to give Torch a try as the library I'd use for implementing the damn things, because it's apparently great and I figure that if my choices are wracking my brain trying to learn something like it or Theano, I might as well go for top tier performance.

So, I installed it on my Ubuntu installation that I have on my desktop. Attempting to use CUDA (which does a hell of a job at improving performance by doing lots of calculations on the GPU), however, generates an extremely cryptic error message. The only thing I can find on the internet that looks relevant is a Google Groups post from a couple of weeks ago with no replies.

On a desperate whim, I decided to try installing it on my shiny new laptop. It works. So it appears that I'm going to do development on a computation-intensive project on a laptop, running an unsupported Linux distro, because my desktop, running a supported Linux distro, is useless by comparison. I'm gonna have to buy some cold packs or something to keep the thing from overheating, I swear.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93651 on: January 10, 2016, 09:08:45 pm »

Fenspace. It's just... ugh. The premise in abstract is amusing if overly self-indulgent, and the initial divergence could be taken down interesting paths, but the thing itself is just the epitome of sperglord circlejerking about fandom and superiority over normies with an added dose of blatant strawmanning and illogical behavior to allow things to develop in the way they did.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #93652 on: January 10, 2016, 09:19:02 pm »

... y'know, I remember seeing that name in passing a few times. What is it?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93653 on: January 10, 2016, 10:10:27 pm »

Okay, um. There are a couple of ways to skin this, I'll tackle several of them:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the tl;dr: some people on the internet have a moderately interesting idea, ruin it by being weird

Like, the actual concept of a divergence in which anyone can turn a car or shipping container into a working spaceship? That's fucking cool. I'd steal it for a book but I'm too lazy and also I don't want crazy people to stalk me. :^)

3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93654 on: January 10, 2016, 10:18:18 pm »

The only real requirement is that there has to be some creative or imaginative component to the treatment process; one notable example was the conversion of scrapped F14s into functional VF-1 Valkyries by treating them for hours in a garage while marathoning Macross series near them.
My sides

Sounds like a fun exercise in escapism.  I don't blame people for resenting "normies", personally, though it's important to stay functional in society.  *Because* of that, in fact.

Calling them "danes" is super cringeworthy though
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93655 on: January 10, 2016, 10:27:59 pm »

Yeah, it's like... why do you have to be so fucking extreme about it that you completely wreck the setting in your efforts to shit on people who don't "get" your interests? o.0

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93656 on: January 10, 2016, 10:46:02 pm »

So cool, and yet I want to slap the people responsible for most of the plot in the face.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #93657 on: January 10, 2016, 10:48:24 pm »

It is a pretty neat idea, though I personally prefer different sorts of setting for my own projects. Too bad it got ruined by internet stupidity osmosis.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #93658 on: January 10, 2016, 10:55:54 pm »

So cool, and yet I want to slap the people responsible for most of the plot in the face.
+1
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #93659 on: January 10, 2016, 11:25:22 pm »

Oh my god It's literally called handwavium I thought FD was being sarcastic there.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 6242 6243 [6244] 6245 6246 ... 11040