Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5975 5976 [5977] 5978 5979 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14453401 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89640 on: November 09, 2015, 10:59:11 pm »

I'm saying that's the crux of the argument on the forum.

Me, I don't know. I'm not a hippy :V I don't really *care* about animals, and I don't know the details to know if it was a humane killing or not. Never seen the show.

But I don't like it when people just roll past the point and pick on with a strawman like that. What'd the strawman ever do to you?! Nothing! He's made of wheat stalks! He can't do anything!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89641 on: November 09, 2015, 11:07:59 pm »

Eh. I don't see the difference between them going to an island and killing animals to eat them and staying at home and eating dead animals. Sure, you could argue that the animals they killed at the island would have survived if they didn't go. But in the end they would still be killing and eating animals whoever they went. Now, if one was like, a vegetarian, but gave that up when they were on the island, then sure. But otherwise... It's not any different from doing it at home, and I don't value the lives of random island animals over the lives of chickens and such. So, eh?

Edit: Of course, if they did actual harm to the environment, then that'd be bad.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:09:45 pm by Criptfeind »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89642 on: November 09, 2015, 11:09:47 pm »

Of course there's a difference, there's millions of cows and chickens but any island ecosystem probably has maybe a couple hundred at best of any large animal. Especially if it was an endemic species. Not all animals are the same.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89643 on: November 09, 2015, 11:11:32 pm »

So, you're saying they did do actual harm to the environment? If you can prove that (I say prove, but really for me I'd be okay with a convincing yes said in a convicted tone), then I'd think they did a bad thing.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89644 on: November 09, 2015, 11:12:52 pm »

Me, I don't know. I'm not a hippy :V I don't really *care* about animals, and I don't know the details to know if it was a humane killing or not. Never seen the show.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89645 on: November 09, 2015, 11:14:45 pm »

So... Then what are you upset about? Or... I guess just mad that people are arguing past each other a bit so you decided to jump in and start throwing insulting comments around to somehow clear it up?

When all your comments on a topic are being mad at and insulting people for "not getting it" and not saying what it is, I think it's fairly reasonable for people to continue to not get "it." I'm not even 100% sure now. Since you seem to take offense to what I said, even though it seems different from what you got mad at earlier, but when I ask for confirmation on it you just point to what you were mad at earlier.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:18:25 pm by Criptfeind »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89646 on: November 09, 2015, 11:17:36 pm »

The threat of ecological damage could be a concern...  Isn't necessarily though.  Besides, it'd have to be a flippin tiny island for the loss of a single pig to harm the ecosystem.  Unless the island has like 10, extremely inbred, pigs :P

I mean, I barely ever eat beef or pork, but some of my family hunts a lot.  It's cool since they eat it.  I'm more concerned with factory farm conditions and costs (meat farming is wasteful use of land!) than wild animals getting eaten.  It's... what they do.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89647 on: November 09, 2015, 11:21:06 pm »

So... Then what are you upset about? Or... I guess just mad that people are arguing past each other a bit so you decided to jump in and start throwing insulting comments around to somehow clear it up?

When all your comments on a topic are being mad at and insulting people for "not getting it" and not saying what it is, I think it's fairly reasonable for people to continue to not get "it." I'm not even 100% sure now. Since you seem to take offense to what I said, even though it seems different from what you got mad at earlier, but when I ask for confirmation on it you just point to what you were mad at earlier.
yep :D

actually that time was just me reiterating that I've never seen the show and don't know if it was ecologically harmful, just that it could very well be because a lot of islands (especially of the size that this kind of show usually takes place on, like Survivor and the like) are usually pretty delicate.

also insults always clear things up haven't you been on the internet long enough to know that :V

i can see why LW shitposts so much it's so calming

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89648 on: November 09, 2015, 11:29:56 pm »

So, you're saying they did do actual harm to the environment? If you can prove that (I say prove, but really for me I'd be okay with a convincing yes said in a convicted tone), then I'd think they did a bad thing.

Does this count?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89649 on: November 09, 2015, 11:42:24 pm »

Does this count?

Yes. See. Now everyone can be mad at this shitty show for the right reasons!

yep :D

actually that time was just me reiterating that I've never seen the show and don't know if it was ecologically harmful, just that it could very well be because a lot of islands (especially of the size that this kind of show usually takes place on, like Survivor and the like) are usually pretty delicate.

also insults always clear things up haven't you been on the internet long enough to know that :V

i can see why LW shitposts so much it's so calming

Sorry to hear you feel that way :/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:45:20 pm by Criptfeind »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89650 on: November 10, 2015, 12:29:26 am »

If they did those stupid survival shows, but along with the liability waiver they added a phrase for 'If shit goes down, we won't help you, there will be no rescue helicopter. We will film and televise your grisly death', then I'd be happier with them.

The show would have merit then. "These people are trying to survive in the wild. Some are succeeding. Some have failed. Welcome to real life. Stay in your houses."
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89651 on: November 10, 2015, 12:33:52 am »

I'm reminded of the winter Canada episode of Survivorman, where Stroud has a bit of narration where he wonders if his producers, in the back of their minds, don't have a part of them that want to find him face down in the snow, camera still rolling.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89652 on: November 10, 2015, 12:47:38 am »

If they did those stupid survival shows, but along with the liability waiver they added a phrase for 'If shit goes down, we won't help you, there will be no rescue helicopter. We will film and televise your grisly death', then I'd be happier with them.

The show would have merit then. "These people are trying to survive in the wild. Some are succeeding. Some have failed. Welcome to real life. Stay in your houses."
YES. We need more televised bloodsport.  :D

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #89653 on: November 10, 2015, 01:58:57 am »

*TV Aide bursts through office doors*
TV Aide: Sir! The plebs have revolted, they say that we can't film on our islands anymore!
TV Producer: Damn, and the government agrees with them?
*TV Aide nods*
TV Producer: Well then, go to plan B.
Cut to island being bulldozed flat, small creatures fleeing as their homes are annihilated.
Pan to TV Producer sitting in a beach chair under an umbrella.
TV Producer: I call it the Desert Island Survivor Beach Resort!

:P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89654 on: November 10, 2015, 02:22:01 am »

Well. This has been the second time that I've born witness to public sexual acts at my university. This time it was in the library stacks. Both of these times weren't even in the one area that is known for that happening.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 5975 5976 [5977] 5978 5979 ... 11040