Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5859 5860 [5861] 5862 5863 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14470115 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #87900 on: October 17, 2015, 04:57:01 am »

yeah if i were to do a modmod i would do something more...

substantial?

sorry, opposite of that, SCP is certainly substantial, given it's collaborative writing

individual

i would want it to be something i made

maybe not 100% original, obviously, but something i can say i came up with

also i'd feel bad if i were to do that and couldn't write my own title/game music and make my own graphics, heh; i have nothing if not impossibly high standards for myself

okay so i regarded them as impossibly high until some friggin dude slightly more than 3 years my senior came up with undertale almost entirely by himself in 2.7 years

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87901 on: October 17, 2015, 04:58:15 am »

Bloody hell, sites like JSTOR have to be the least user friendly ones I've ever seen. I mean, I get they're designed by scholars, but really.
One wheel short of a wagon

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #87902 on: October 17, 2015, 05:05:22 am »

I dunno, I would say remaking the SCP mod in masterwork would still be individual.
I mean, making a mod in masterwork is no less individual than making a mod in vanilla, it's just using foundations, although the foundation may have a bit more pizzaz than normal an SCP mod is totally different from whatever stuff may be in masterwork in the first place.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87903 on: October 17, 2015, 05:11:53 am »

It's a pity there isn't any huge sci-fi mod, as far as I'm aware. As in, collaborative, closer to the size of Masterwork. Seems like there's probably an equal amount you could do with DF with that theme, with races etc.
One wheel short of a wagon

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #87904 on: October 17, 2015, 05:16:31 am »

It's a pity there isn't any huge sci-fi mod, as far as I'm aware. As in, collaborative, closer to the size of Masterwork. Seems like there's probably an equal amount you could do with DF with that theme, with races etc.

It's called Rimworld

But seriously, I think a lot of people who want that from DF play Rimworld instead.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87905 on: October 17, 2015, 05:17:12 am »

I dunno, I would say remaking the SCP mod in masterwork would still be individual.

no

i mean weird

not necessarily weird, but not entirely derivative

the only original content in the SCP mod is the notes in the descriptions saying what's been switched around about the SCP due to the transfer to DF

I'd want to make something that could somewhat be regarded as original

EDIT: okay, problem with creating original stuff: what tumblr makes the most fanworks out of is a good thing to follow if you want to see fanworks

why tumblr makes fanworks out of such things is not something you can do in dwarf fortress

(why being good characters e.g undertale, steven universe or highly modular character design e.g. homestuck, steven universe

i mean the highly modular character design is something i can do but i cannot get the game to recognize it properly; having good characters is, heh, not something that's there yet without your imagination)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:28:36 am by Putnam »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #87906 on: October 17, 2015, 05:38:43 am »

Bloody hell, sites like JSTOR have to be the least user friendly ones I've ever seen. I mean, I get they're designed by scholars, but really.
They are not. JSTOR's actually fairly friendly compared to some things I've seen, at least back when I was using it. Mostly job search websites, followed by a lot of news sites et al (though the latter mostly because they're so cluttered with shit they both drag down your computer and are functionally unnavigable). There's this lovely one I've been dealing with a little lately (due to something like a quarter or more of jobs in this area forcing applicants to apply through the site. Why? Because fuck you, that's why.) that makes it basically impossible to have two instances of the site up at once, i.e. you can't open up two listings at the same time. It is quiet near the absolute worst design choice I have ever seen in a website. There's a few situations where that's excusable (mostly involving games and the occasional official test or whatnot), but a site that's primarily about job listings is something like the ur-example of one where it's not.

... in actual wtf news, today dream brain decided I wanted to know what its estimation of a toilet bowl full of peed in water tastes like. Why, dream brain? Why? I didn't ask for this, and it wasn't something I wanted to wake up to. Did not like, please do not do again.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:43:24 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87907 on: October 17, 2015, 05:43:25 am »

I always wondered, is Masterwork actually that good? Yes it's big, but it also seems a bit all over the place. And I'm probably not going to end up playing it myself with enough hours in to get a decent portion of the content. Also it seems to be forced graphical tiles so eeeh.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #87908 on: October 17, 2015, 05:45:43 am »

i dont even think i have all of the content in vanilla figured out tbh

and i also don't like tilesets at all, i've gotten used to ascii and it looks very neat (if you turn off engravings being visual by default)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #87909 on: October 17, 2015, 05:46:02 am »

Was pretty alright the last time I played it. Wasn't forced graphical tiles, at least not then. I'm not even sure how you'd force graphical tiles in a DF mod...
Ask not!
Ask!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87910 on: October 17, 2015, 05:50:47 am »

I've... Actually never played any DF mods, come to think of it. Other than graphical ones.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87911 on: October 17, 2015, 05:52:47 am »

Was pretty alright the last time I played it. Wasn't forced graphical tiles, at least not then. I'm not even sure how you'd force graphical tiles in a DF mod...
Well put another way: it has additional sprites so the only way you're going to be able to see everything is if you use one specially created for Masterwork.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #87912 on: October 17, 2015, 06:07:46 am »

... huh. There may have been black tiles or something involved when I played it ascii? Memory seems to be suggesting that, now that I think about it, but it has been over a year. I can't recall it being a problem, though, if that was what was going on and I'm not mixing it up with some other mod. It's ascii, an empty void is about as distinguishable as anything else.
Ask not!
Ask!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87913 on: October 17, 2015, 07:03:08 am »

Eh. That's the way with humans, IMO. That's why every game you go to has big guilds, crushing out the smaller guilds. It's just how people work.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87914 on: October 17, 2015, 08:29:06 am »

Eh. That's the way with humans, IMO. That's why every game you go to has big guilds, crushing out the smaller guilds. It's just how people work.
I think you meant "MMO games" there. And your words don't answer the key question: Masterwork was a small mod once upon a time, too, so what's the difference between it and other small mods that existed?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 5859 5860 [5861] 5862 5863 ... 11037