Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5773 5774 [5775] 5776 5777 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14467657 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86610 on: September 25, 2015, 04:53:53 pm »

But sure how about Gay rights.
Aren't the alarmists here opposing them? Aren't they generally seen as idiots clinging to outdated ideas about sexuality?

Fakedit: Actually, nevermind. I'm not really in the mood for a full-on debate.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #86611 on: September 25, 2015, 04:54:54 pm »

Editing out the text would be a better way of achieving it, then.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86612 on: September 25, 2015, 04:55:32 pm »

But sure how about Gay rights.
Aren't the alarmists here opposing them? Aren't they generally seen as idiots clinging to outdated ideas about sexuality?

Fakedit: Actually, nevermind. I'm not really in the mood for a full-on debate.

It is both sides... but the Alarmists on the gay side are gone now mostly because even now people realized how ridiculous it was.

It isn't really a debate. Political extremism/polarization is pretty much the default in Western society.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86613 on: September 25, 2015, 04:56:18 pm »

Wow, the UN really is a joke these days, isn't it? Makes all the older stories where it turned into a meaningful political entity sort of laughable.

Alternatively: Gee, LoN 2.0 sure did manage to stagger a long way before tumbling over.

I mean, fuck, this reads like an Onion article about SJWs.

Look a LOT of things end up being put infront of the UN. Some dumb, some smart. Remember that the UN also was presented with a "Alternate human rights that only applied to the Middle Eastern nations" that basically was "women got little rights", it was shot down.

A lot of diplomacy is listening to everyone... even the crazy and dumb people.

Yeah, but I'd be willing to bet that that didn't have the explicit support of a branch of the UN devoted to human rights.

I'm not sure what gets me more about these anti-intellectual hugboxers that pretend to be feminists, the hypocrisy of flipping between "strong independent women" and "spun-glass fragile children women" depending on which narrative suits them, or the way they've slotted so neatly into the existing coalition of conservative fearmongers re: new media and old & meaningless PC idiots. It's like the perfect storm of censorship.

I mean, it's already been repeatedly mentioned, but the statistics they used were heavily manipulated, and they're trivializing real abuse by equating it to having someone disagree with you on the internet! I think the original row about cyberbullying was a tad silly, but at least that was trying to cope with sensitive kids who killed themselves because people harassed them online instead of in person!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #86614 on: September 25, 2015, 04:57:24 pm »

Editing out the text would be a better way of achieving it, then.
Eh, it works as a two-cent statement. No need to redact it, really.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86615 on: September 25, 2015, 04:59:41 pm »

Wow, the UN really is a joke these days, isn't it? Makes all the older stories where it turned into a meaningful political entity sort of laughable.

Alternatively: Gee, LoN 2.0 sure did manage to stagger a long way before tumbling over.

I mean, fuck, this reads like an Onion article about SJWs.

Look a LOT of things end up being put infront of the UN. Some dumb, some smart. Remember that the UN also was presented with a "Alternate human rights that only applied to the Middle Eastern nations" that basically was "women got little rights", it was shot down.

A lot of diplomacy is listening to everyone... even the crazy and dumb people.

Yeah, but I'd be willing to bet that that didn't have the explicit support of a branch of the UN devoted to human rights.

I'm not sure what gets me more about these anti-intellectual hugboxers that pretend to be feminists, the hypocrisy of flipping between "strong independent women" and "spun-glass fragile children women" depending on which narrative suits them, or the way they've slotted so neatly into the existing coalition of conservative fearmongers re: new media and old & meaningless PC idiots. It's like the perfect storm of censorship.

I mean, it's already been repeatedly mentioned, but the statistics they used were heavily manipulated, and they're trivializing real abuse by equating it to having someone disagree with you on the internet! I think the original row about cyberbullying was a tad silly, but at least that was trying to cope with sensitive kids who killed themselves because people harassed them online instead of in person!
Womyn are naturally strong, but the effect of the Patriarchal Electromagnetic Neutrino Interference System (PENIS), a force field put in place over the entire Earth by the Patriarchs, drains them of their strength and turns them into helpless victims.

On a side note, it seems we need to keep searching for the true identity of the organization known as "The Patriarchy", because the UN has an alibi now.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86616 on: September 25, 2015, 05:00:16 pm »

It is kind of simple Flying Dice

If you are strong and independent, you are responsible for your actions and the actions of everyone around you. You cannot be a victim and claiming to be is seen in a negative light.

While someone who is weak and pathetic isn't responsible for their actions or anyone elses. They will always be a victim and need to be protected.

Thus, people need to rise up and protect the victims. Not the strong and independent people.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86617 on: September 25, 2015, 05:00:55 pm »

http://nobullying.com/is-cyber-bullying-more-common-with-girls/

According to dosomething.org girls are almost twice as likely as boys to be both victims and perpetrators of cyber bullying.

I guess this won't make it into any report. Girls pick on other girls a lot. It's un-PC to say so, but the figures back that up.

Just saying "girls get cyberbullied when they go online" paints the wrong picture because it doesn't address the nature of the issue. Since it's not PC to point out that women do infight quite a bit, you can actually end up with policies that protect female bullies and give them even more power to bully other women.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:07:08 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86618 on: September 25, 2015, 05:03:18 pm »

How are they defining Cyber bullying?

Though looking at the site... I am not exactly trusting of their statistics.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86619 on: September 25, 2015, 05:03:31 pm »

http://nobullying.com/is-cyber-bullying-more-common-with-girls/

According to dosomething.org girls are almost twice as likely as boys to be both victims and perpetrators of cyber bullying.

I guess this won't make it into any report. This is how activism with a specific world-view can actually fail those you're intending to help. If most online victimization is both initiated and suffered by girls, then any program targeted at changing the behaviour of males online is going to fail to prevent cyberbullying of women.
From what I can tell, the UN thing is more about how (adult) men disagreeing with (adult) women online is a form of gendered violence. They just throw the "and girls" thing in there because it combines "Won't somebody think of the women?" with "Won't somebody think of the children?" for maximum emotional manipulation.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86620 on: September 25, 2015, 05:06:52 pm »

Complaining of sexist site in spoiler... It will definitely make you uncomfortable so just skip it if you have any issues.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

Look all in all, I don't think the UN will really give too much credence to the Cyberviolence thing beyond keeping their eyes, ears, and mind open for legitimate solutions to what is mostly a new problem with actual nuance.

That site was horrible though. It SERIOUSLY doesn't know what Cyberbullying is and it is clear by the way it is written. It just confuses bullying with cyberbullying.

Edit: Also yay! I successfully killed the conversation. Someone should give me a rank for that skilled stealth mission.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:26:45 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86621 on: September 25, 2015, 06:26:29 pm »

Ugh, it's just-

I mean, I'm used to this sort of stupidity from all corners. But it really, really hurts when it's coming from people who pretend to be progressives.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86622 on: September 25, 2015, 06:33:29 pm »

Ugh, it's just-

I mean, I'm used to this sort of stupidity from all corners. But it really, really hurts when it's coming from people who pretend to be progressives.

"everyone is progressive" so to speak.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #86623 on: September 25, 2015, 06:41:19 pm »

"Cyberviolence" is a term that should not exist. Seriously, fuck whoever thinks "Someone was mean on the internet" is violence. I don't give a fuck who it's directed at - anything that does not involve direct physical harm cannot be considered violence by any reasonable person under any circumstances.

No. Psychological harm is just as bad as physical harm. Pretending bullying of any kind does not result in psychological harm is ridiculous. Sticks and stones is childish nonsense - nobody with any understanding of basic human psychology would argue anything else.

Swindling the goddamn UN into saying this shit is a slap in the face (no pun intended) to actual victims of violence.

Also, fuck whoever thinks "women and girls" (another "I'll save you, m'lady"ism that should be metaphorically euthanized) need special protection. Fuck whoever thinks men don't suffer from violence. Fuck whoever thinks men don't suffer the majority of real and "cyber" violence in this world. Fuck this code of chivalry bullshit that drives people to think "What about m'lady" 99% of the fuckshitchrist time.

The fact that this wound up before the UN, in my conspiratorial mind, is part of the usual thing where third-world countries with shitty human rights records take advantage of minor problems in Western countries to go after them for "human rights violations".

Dude, you can't first go "only physical violence matters" and then right afterwards go "women don't need special protection" when, if only physical violence matters, the average man is literally built to take more violence than the average woman. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Love, scriver~

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86624 on: September 25, 2015, 06:52:54 pm »

Watching old reruns on the Game Show Network is like stepping into some alien culture.  I don't see how anyone could get excited over the possibility of winning a pinto stationwagon.
Pages: 1 ... 5773 5774 [5775] 5776 5777 ... 11037