Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5713 5714 [5715] 5716 5717 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462681 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85710 on: September 15, 2015, 10:16:38 am »

Well The Sims 4 finally did it.

I am finally disinterested in the series... which is an honest accomplishment.
Holy crap I checked ts4news to see what you were talking about, and WTF.  You can't scroll with up and down arrow...  Well you can, but it sends you all the way to the next article.  Of COURSE they loaded like a dozen articles at the same time, but... overriding scrolling like that!  Insanity!

Also Sims4 sucks, welcome to a year ago :P  Looks like the jist of the article is an interview where they admitted they weren't going to change that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #85711 on: September 15, 2015, 10:17:30 am »

I feel like design in general is moving away from speed and low weight and towards looking pretty and usable for just about anybody. It's an entirely understandable trend, but it periodically seriously annoys me. Like now, I had to navigate through three links on Qt's site before I could find the IDE. And now I have to navigate through a complicated javascript thing to get at the downloads. This should have taken about five seconds.

Things were better in the command-line days, when the only people who could use computers were a handful of Chosen Ones.

That's not actually what I want or am saying*. I'm just irritated that I had to scroll through three screens of massive text and pictures telling me about how many buzzwords apply to Qt so I could find the actual technical specifications of the IDE. Make it look pretty, sure, make it easy to use, even better. It's just that every now and then I run across a case where a designer seems to have tripped over their own feet trying to make it look pretty and user friendly and accidentally made it not user friendly.

I'm also in a grouchy mood, so my expectations are probably close to unrealistically high.

*Ed: for instance, I don't think this is the pinnacle of web design. It's just less likely to immediately annoy me because my computer can actually load it without lagging and I can actually find what I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:20:25 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85712 on: September 15, 2015, 10:36:52 am »

Sims4 is just sims3 with slightly different graphics and without all the expansions so they can remake the expansions and sell them to you again. Maxis has been in steady decline in regards to their games.

In other news, I already said this in some other games thread, but I guess its enough WTF to post it here. Capcom has finally announced Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for the PC, due january 2016, on steam.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85713 on: September 15, 2015, 10:38:29 am »

But more importantly, when are they releasing the Dragon's Dogma MMO for Western audiences?
Not that I'm actually expecting it to be any good, I'd just like to try it someday.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85714 on: September 15, 2015, 10:50:07 am »

Sims4 is just sims3 with slightly different graphics
It removed the open world bit. One of the best parts of TS3.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #85715 on: September 15, 2015, 11:08:51 am »

Yep. So it's more as if Microsoft released Minecraft 2, rolled features back to early Beta and removed destructible terrain.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85716 on: September 15, 2015, 11:14:03 am »

Ohhhh... It is FAR worse then that.

Imagine if they turned The Sims 3 into a facebook game with less features... and BOOM! you got the issue.

I could go on (I have written essays on what exactly is wrong about The Sims 4) but the thing is The Sims 4 sucking ALONE wasn't what got me disinterested in the series. I was willing to wait as they floundered to restore the game to decent.

Then came the first expansion which was!!! not that good... at all... It was a bunch of good ideas smeared with poor execution.

Then they revealed the second expansion which!!! Sucks... quite a bit... Like extremely.

In otherwords The Sims 4 sucks... and they can't make it good again... they just continuously bury it further and further into suckatude.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85717 on: September 15, 2015, 11:15:51 am »

True enough. The game feels a lot more "constricted" and limited, in a way that kiiiiiiiiind of reminds me of The Sims Medieval, but not that bad. The Sims Medieval was the closest thing to "The Sims on rails" anyone has ever made. Its literally a collection of minigames and and progress bars with a corny medieval fair look to it.

You can't control the layout of your house/castle/etc, it has the most superficial and uninteresting cooking/crafting system I've ever seen, your interactions with NPCs is mostly limited to that character's "role" and most of the choices are dead ends, annoying "daily" little quests you have to do, your "kingdom" practically runs itself for you, etc.

When I said Maxis is on the decline, it was mostly in the sense that its games are becoming less and less about some sort of fun/tongue-in-cheek simulation thingy and more about taking the basic sims 1 gameplay and then covering it with tons of boring minigames and a really corny sense of humor.

EDIT: Ninja'd
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:22:51 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85718 on: September 15, 2015, 11:18:12 am »

True enough. The game feels a lot more "constricted" and limited, in a way that kiiiiiiiiind of reminds me of The Sims Medieval, but not that bad. The Sims Medieval was the closest thing to "The Sims on rails" anyone has ever made. Its literally a collection of minigames and and progress bars with a corny medieval fair look to it.

The Sims Medieval mind you had a heart, a soul... It was marred more in its limitations and the fact that it didn't let you do what you wanted to do "Actually play The Sims set in a medieval fantasy world with quests and dragons and stuff". Yet it could have been fixed simply by inputting Sims features back into the game, like it had the skeleton to a good game in there.

The Sims 4 is, however, broken on a fundamental level. It lacks a soul. It would need to be completely redesigned and altered to even hope to be a good game.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:21:14 am by Neonivek »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #85719 on: September 15, 2015, 11:24:51 am »

I agree the sims medivial was quite good. Though it would have benefited from more things to do. It was quite entertaining before my computer crashed.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85720 on: September 15, 2015, 11:26:37 am »

After the SimCity reboot did anyone truly think that Sims 4 would be any good?

Also, spellcheck automatically changes "Sim_city" without the underscore to SimCity for some reason.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #85721 on: September 15, 2015, 11:41:00 am »

So how long do you think it will be before somebody does a City: Skylines with the Sims? It's not like there's not a market, the sims is like what, one of the best selling franchises ever? I'm surprised there aren't more games in that genre already.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85722 on: September 15, 2015, 11:45:40 am »

So how long do you think it will be before somebody does a City: Skylines with the Sims? It's not like there's not a market, the sims is like what, one of the best selling franchises ever? I'm surprised there aren't more games in that genre already.

They already attempted this with Simville. Which was cancelled.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #85723 on: September 15, 2015, 11:49:47 am »

At that point wouldn't we basically be approaching a non-fantasy version of the very game this website is designed to support? :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85724 on: September 15, 2015, 11:59:50 am »

I wish the "slice of life" genre was more populated. :-\
The Sims 3 is probably one of my favourite games, even with all its glaring faults- there are just no better alternatives that fill the same niche as far as I am aware.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 5713 5714 [5715] 5716 5717 ... 11040