Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5376 5377 [5378] 5379 5380 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443206 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #80655 on: July 12, 2015, 02:41:19 pm »

Computers in the 80s were better than computers now.
I didn't know it was possible for someone who obviously has so much experience with the subject to still be so wrong.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80656 on: July 12, 2015, 02:46:50 pm »

I didn't know it was possible for someone who obviously has so much experience with the subject to still be so wrong.
Somehow I think it might have a element of joking about it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80657 on: July 12, 2015, 02:50:39 pm »

Somehow I think it might have a element of joking about it.
Quote from: OP in the comments
You do realize the video was edited on a modern computer, right?  Hard to imagine somebody being ignorant with modern computers and be able to create this video.
If it was joking he's not very good at the whole joke thing. No, I think it's serious.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80658 on: July 12, 2015, 02:57:13 pm »

In which case, increment the WTF counter by one.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80659 on: July 12, 2015, 03:00:38 pm »

He might have used a commodore amiga.  Not a "Modern" computer by any stretch (unless a motorola 68k cpu and 4mb of fast ram is "modern") but it could do realtime editing of NTSC format video.  It was frequenly used in the 80s to do post processing effects because of this capability.

In some ways, this guy is correct. In others, not so much.

The thing that always struck me as the big contrast-- was that old computers let you actually OWN the computer.  These days, the device makers and the OS vendor want very much to put mittens and a thick layer of duct tape over your hands.  This is especially true in the mobile computing sector. Those cheap android tablets you can get for 50$ are a real computer underneath, you just have to use a crowbar to get to it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80660 on: July 12, 2015, 03:06:23 pm »

These days, the device makers and the OS vendor want very much to put mittens and a thick layer of duct tape over your hands.
I can see operating systems, but hardware? Until the days when cloud computing is ubiquitous, I don't see how a manufacturer is going to brick your MOBO at their own whim.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #80661 on: July 12, 2015, 03:06:39 pm »

That's because back in those days you actually owned something once you bought it, in the current times it's more so a "rental" than an actual purchase. Eventually we'll be renting food.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80662 on: July 12, 2015, 03:09:17 pm »

I have apparently watched approximately 92 hours of star trek over the current summer with my brother. And that's just the orginal series and its movies.

So now we just have 7 seasons of TNG and its movies, another 7 seasons of deep space nine, and yet another 7 seasons of voyager left to watch. I would classify that as a buttload of star trek.

By the end of it I suspect I will either be catatonic or believe that I am Picard. When we decided to watch all of Star Trek, I didn't realize that there was so goddamn much of it.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80663 on: July 12, 2015, 03:11:03 pm »

Goota admit though, I do miss the days when a computer came with a real manual.  It's nice knowing the individual switches on a motherboard without having to look for some identifying number on a motherboard and have to look that up online (good luck if that's yer only computer) for simple stuff like which pins to short with a screwdriver for a power on signal when the button is shot.

Eventually we'll be renting food.
Working in the returns department sounds like a shitty job.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80664 on: July 12, 2015, 03:11:31 pm »

That's because back in those days you actually owned something once you bought it, in the current times it's more so a "rental" than an actual purchase. Eventually we'll be renting food.
But as I said, that really isn't the case with computer hardware. Once it's in your possession you can do what you like with it and it's out of the manufacturer's control.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #80665 on: July 12, 2015, 03:14:35 pm »

Not the best idea. Still, at least you didn't decide to do something utterly insane and pointless like deciding to watch every episode of Deal or No Deal.

Quote from: Greiger
Working in the returns department sounds like a shitty job.

Everything will be automated by that point, most likely. The world's wealth will have finally finished its redistribution as well, with the top 0.000000000001% of the population having 99.999999999999% of the money.

Quote from: Graknorke
But as I said, that really isn't the case with computer hardware. Once it's in your possession you can do what you like with it and it's out of the manufacturer's control.

Not because they have a choice in the matter. Hell, you've seen what Apple does with their stuff. You need a jackhammer to actually unlock its proper capabilities. That's more software, but if they actually could do so it would be the same with hardware as well. In fact, I can't remember this is true, but I've heard that their iPods or Smartphones or whatever were actually designed so if you tried to take them apart they'd break. (Maybe there was a screw or something running through the Mobo, if you took it out it would snap in half or something like that. Regardless, it made the thing unusable.)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #80666 on: July 12, 2015, 03:15:26 pm »

believe that I am Picard.
... so, Good End? Because that sounds like a pretty optimal results, especially if it comes with the acting capability. C'mon, cerapa, do Brother John for us when you come back without hair :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80667 on: July 12, 2015, 03:22:49 pm »

Not because they have a choice in the matter.
If they had a choice in the matter they'd just take all of your money without giving or pretending to give you anything. That doesn't mean that they do, though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80668 on: July 12, 2015, 03:27:20 pm »

Anyone know what a Rich Text Document is for? I can only open it with Libreoffice, apparently, not simple text writer or whatever? It seems like a normal text document, pretty unembellished. I plan to use it to run my (I)SG, as it has the initials RTD :P
One wheel short of a wagon

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80669 on: July 12, 2015, 03:30:05 pm »

believe that I am Picard.
... so, Good End? Because that sounds like a pretty optimal results, especially if it comes with the acting capability. C'mon, cerapa, do Brother John for us when you come back without hair :V

I am not familar with Brother John, what is it?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: 1 ... 5376 5377 [5378] 5379 5380 ... 11040