Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5375 5376 [5377] 5378 5379 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14444379 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #80640 on: July 12, 2015, 05:41:18 am »

What part of it? You mean the larger memory access? Being limited to four gigabytes is kinda crippling for any use more demanding than a standard office or facebook-machine setting.
In what world is "four gigabytes" crippling? I can hardly even manage to fill them up, with thousands of open tabs, what the hell do you do to run out of them so easily?
._.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #80641 on: July 12, 2015, 05:43:52 am »

What part of it? You mean the larger memory access? Being limited to four gigabytes is kinda crippling for any use more demanding than a standard office or facebook-machine setting.
In what world is "four gigabytes" crippling? I can hardly even manage to fill them up, with thousands of open tabs, what the hell do you do to run out of them so easily?

Well, Firefox uses about seven hundred megabytes on my computer. I'm also running a (low-graphics-intensity) game in the background, and a couple of lightweight other tasks, and I'm at 48% RAM usage. If I added an open image in GIMP, it'd go up to three out of four gigabytes used, easily, and I'm generally a pretty undemanding user.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #80642 on: July 12, 2015, 05:46:26 am »

Plenty of newer games (and some older, when pushed particularly hard), trying to do anything more than one thing at a time, lots of video/photo editing software, recording just about anything, there's just sort of a list. My passive memory use tends to loiter around 3 gigs of ram, with just steam, opera and firefox open, nevermind actually playing a game or something, too. I've tapped out the 4 gigs on this computer more than once, pretty trivially. And that's not counting the occasional memory leak that just eats everything available.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:50:26 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #80643 on: July 12, 2015, 08:20:32 am »

I keep waking up with new songs stuck in my head. None of the songs I've heard in a while.

Yesterday it was some mainstream country crap I don't remember the name of or how it goes now. Today it's BYOB by System of a Down.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80644 on: July 12, 2015, 08:40:16 am »

Plenty of newer games (and some older, when pushed particularly hard), trying to do anything more than one thing at a time, lots of video/photo editing software, recording just about anything, there's just sort of a list. My passive memory use tends to loiter around 3 gigs of ram, with just steam, opera and firefox open, nevermind actually playing a game or something, too. I've tapped out the 4 gigs on this computer more than once, pretty trivially. And that's not counting the occasional memory leak that just eats everything available.
Maybe you should consider cleaning out your computer of malware.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80645 on: July 12, 2015, 08:58:53 am »

Realised today that I was probably going to run an ISG in the near future. My wtf. No idea what its going to be about or anything.
One wheel short of a wagon

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80646 on: July 12, 2015, 10:35:54 am »

Just saw a news report about how people were flying a flag from an airplane that had a swastika saying "Swastika = peace = love", and how people were disgusted at the symbol.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #80647 on: July 12, 2015, 10:39:47 am »

Just saw a news report about how people were flying a flag from an airplane that had a swastika saying "Swastika = peace = love", and how people were disgusted at the symbol.
Theyre taking it back from western culture
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #80648 on: July 12, 2015, 11:12:43 am »

Maybe you should consider cleaning out your computer of malware.
It is clean of malware, unless you're one of those sorts that considers windows to be malware (in which case all I can really do is make vulgar gestures imprecating your ancestors' sexual habits). Opera+firefox on their own take up about 2 gigs of ram (which, hey, is normal when you've got a couple hundred tabs open in the one, and running flash in the other), steam another 200 megs or so. That leaves ~600 megs dedicated to miscellaneous other stuff, most of it fairly vital windows junk.

Sorry, s'not malware bloat, it's just someone using their ruddy computer.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80649 on: July 12, 2015, 11:29:02 am »

Why does windows 32bit even still exist?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #80650 on: July 12, 2015, 11:30:37 am »

Because people are still using computers from 6 years ago.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80651 on: July 12, 2015, 11:32:33 am »

I built mine in 2009.

Then again it's a 64-bit Windows.

My netbook is 32-bit, however.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #80652 on: July 12, 2015, 11:50:45 am »

Mine is from 2006. Get on my level, scrubs.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80653 on: July 12, 2015, 12:24:57 pm »

There's also a large number of 32 bit devices in the emerging "small platform computing" ecosystem-- things like beaglebone, etc.  Intel has released a number of x86 flavored devices into this ecosystem, only a handful of which are 64bit.  Microsoft does not want to lose more foothold in the OS space, and so continues to support 32bit flavors, at least for now.

Microsoft has openly stated that win7 was the last version to get a 32 bit release. all subsequent versions will be 64bit. (no, this is not a contradiction with prior statement-- MS is still selling win7 licenses.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80654 on: July 12, 2015, 12:26:33 pm »

Not on this forum, no. Anything approaching details would probably violate the ToS, and going on the oneupmanship of internet oddities ride never ends well. Especially when you consider some of us have been internet goers since before a fair number of you lot were born.
I've seen things younglings... Things you wouldn't believe. Things you couldn't find on a google search!

I too remember usenet and BBS.  The things that could be found there... Oh, indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 5375 5376 [5377] 5378 5379 ... 11040