Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5341 5342 [5343] 5344 5345 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454698 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #80130 on: July 02, 2015, 02:42:43 am »

There are at least 3 superb free PDF readers out there, why would anybody use Adobe's?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80131 on: July 02, 2015, 03:58:48 am »

Why is my heart pounding? All I did was get murdered by the Dungeon Guardian (while trying to get back money I dropped after I got murdered by the Dungeon Guardian). This does not compute.
Black lives matter.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #80132 on: July 02, 2015, 05:24:00 am »

Because the Dungeon Guardian is friggin' scary. I swear I almost shit myself when I first saw that thing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #80133 on: July 02, 2015, 05:36:28 am »

Most modern Internet browsers (I tested Firefox, Chrome and IE) can read PDF files anyway, so why does one even need a separate program for that?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80134 on: July 02, 2015, 07:30:04 am »

Why is my heart pounding? All I did was get murdered by the Dungeon Guardian (while trying to get back money I dropped after I got murdered by the Dungeon Guardian). This does not compute.

You arent thinking about this logically.

How do you fill a dungeon with cool stuff, on the cheap?

Step 1, construct undead horror, and instruct it to kill anything that picks up ANYTHING that hits the floor, or gets sat down.
Step 2, put out a circular, proclaiming that you have epic loot in your dungeon, free to anyone who can claim it and live.
Step 3, sit back and enjoy the free influx of gear, money, and other valuables that treasure hunters and adventurers bring with them as they attempt to loot your dungeon. The dungeon guardian kills them, and their gear becomes part of the loot.

Now, with that in mind it makes so much more sense.

Why is everything you need to overcome the dungeon right there in the dungeon? Because other adventurers brought the equipment to overcome the dungeon, died, and now their stuff is part of the dungeon!

Why are all the tools and items needed scattered all over the place in the dungeon? Because that's where your fellow tradesmen met their sticky ends.

See-- it makes PERFECT sense! The dungeon was a swindle, and a well crafted one!  :D

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80135 on: July 02, 2015, 07:33:27 am »

You have some good points.
Because the Dungeon Guardian is friggin' scary. I swear I almost shit myself when I first saw that thing.
It's just invincible Skeletron, permanently headrolling, with infinite health and defense.
But I mean it's just the fact that he's a boss, I guess. I always get all heart-poundy when fighting bosses. Like the Eye of Cthuhlu. Or the Brain of Cthuhlu. Or Skeletron. Or the Wall of Flesh. (I haven't beaten him yet.)
Black lives matter.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80136 on: July 02, 2015, 08:25:41 am »

Today has become officially the warmest day in july ever since our meteorological institute started recording temperatures in 1901.
For saturday, they even expect the temperatures to break that new record again by quite a few degrees. Today 37.6 Celcius (98.1 F) was measured (in the shadow) in the southernmost part of the Netherlands. For saturday, they expect shadow temperatures of 41 Celcius (106F), with the peak temperature in or near my home town.
People are already starting to joke.. "Hey Greece! If you pay your debts you can have your nice weather back!"

While some hot tropical weather is nice and all, this heat (combined with high humidity) is just insane. What's worse, the Tour the France starts in the Netherlands this saturday. Emergency services fear deaths to heatstroke amongst the massive crowd that will come to watch the opening ceremony. It's actually being debated by those responsible for the event's safety if they should maybe start the Tour de France without any audience. It's not very likely that will happen though, too much commercial interests there for sponsors and horeca.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:31:11 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80137 on: July 02, 2015, 08:31:44 am »

98 in the shade isn't that uncommon where I live.

We frequently hit triple digits, sometimes as high as 110F.

Then again, landlocked in the land of the free (to be watched by the NSA)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80138 on: July 02, 2015, 08:51:39 am »

I do suppose your country is adapted to that, as in, people have airco.

Nobody has airco here, because our average summer shadow temperature should be about 20-22 C with a handful of peak days that maybe hit 28-30. Next to that, our low land sea climate gives us that awesome 75% and up air humidity. Dry heat is much more bearable than humid heat :P .
Losing heat through evaporation is not very efficient here.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:53:32 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #80139 on: July 02, 2015, 10:29:57 am »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80140 on: July 02, 2015, 10:38:59 am »

Gaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

SO a few nights ago we had a pretty bad blackout in our area. Knocked everything put for half the night. In rhe morning I was awken by my mum struggling to get the bet working for ber work. Half weary and still half alseep I got to work. Everything was running then syddenly cut out. I chevk agaon and it works only to cut out again an hour or so later.
"There must be somr connections they are sortung out in the area after the blackout" I said to mum.
ut was a good excuse so we delt with it. Annoying as it was. Later dyring the day my Uncle dropped in as he does, unannounces and sudden, stopping by after delivering some equipment to someone working in the area on his way back home. He too works forthe same provider we have our net connection.
Somehow it was mentioned about our problem so he set himself about tryong to fix it. No couldnt be anything to do with his buisnesses side it must be our hardware connections. After checking and moving around the house finding nothign wrong he comes to the conclusion that it MUST be the modem. So off to his van he collected a new one. Installing it without muxh say from us. Me still half awake not caring to say anything cause I needed to ve at work later that night. After replacing it he set about setting it up. Ignoring me saying that just leave the data as is I would take care of tge rest later. He sets up the password as something else and then satisifed heads off home. After waking from my nananap I beging to finish thr job. Setting up the connections to mums IPad/Phone. Everything was good. Still had to wait a few nore hours later for a truely stable connection as I prodicted. Though I did have to wait till after returning home later that night after work. Mum had contacted the provider again and even had them set up a visit to fix it later. Unneeded mind you. Facepalm to I give up.

anyway today my dad came home. I was planing to head out this evening and did so. Came home to him having returned everything back to how it was origianlly cause utnwasnt how he liked it. Now I am stuck with a pc that is set up to abother modema modem that now wont register my pc and me getting irritated at my gamily onve again...

Sorry had to rant...

oh and now I remember. This shitty 10+ year old modem only has ONE eathernet port that works and the damn cable was plugged into the wrong on... FML
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80141 on: July 02, 2015, 10:41:33 am »

are you quite alright

your post sounds either intoxicated or in need of a doctor

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80142 on: July 02, 2015, 11:03:54 am »

Router-modem issues do that to me too.  Particularly when other people IRL are less than helpful...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80143 on: July 02, 2015, 11:09:45 am »

are you quite alright

your post sounds either intoxicated or in need of a doctor
Just fat fingers on a tiny phone touch screen...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80144 on: July 02, 2015, 11:22:22 am »

Situations like that are hard for me to fully grasp; I am a certified network admin. The issue sounds like a simple issue to me.  I am just curious why he needed/felt he needed to mess with a working network topology, and revert to an older router...

In the olden days, when you could get such things easily at brick and mortar stores, I would have suggested a dumb hub behind the "modem that has only one ethernet port",  but the invention of wifi connectivity, and the availability of cheap routers with enough interfaces on them kinda shrunk the market for them. 

unlike a router, which makes decisions, a hub just repeats everything it takes in, on all other ports it has. No filtering, does not care about protocol, nada. 

makes it perfect to sit behind a single interface modem if all your devices are wired. Have a few 10/100 hubs about still, tucked in closets. they work fine, and every so often are useful.

Your issue sounds like the router is configured for a different subnet than what your computer expects/your computer's TCP/IP settings hard set the IP address, gateway, and dns servers of your network.

alternatively, this is an old ancient surfboard modem that only wants to lease 4 ip addresses/service 4 unique MAC addresses, and you need to put a router between it and the rest of the network/make sure the modem is plugged into the router on the correct port.
(needs to be the WAN port. it's usually yellow.)

I'd look at the cabling issue first. (make sure modem is plugged into wan port on router).

Pages: 1 ... 5341 5342 [5343] 5344 5345 ... 11040