Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5323 5324 [5325] 5326 5327 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461704 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
This is a blank sig.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #79861 on: June 27, 2015, 08:24:30 am »

-snip-
Wat. pisskop are you from future dystopia land?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #79862 on: June 27, 2015, 08:29:27 am »

It was all very surreal. o.o  Especially the part where I should join a cult or become cattle or something.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79863 on: June 27, 2015, 08:39:04 am »

Wait, Is this Detroit?

Seriously, WTF.  Stay away from that woman. She's total poison.

It never ceases to amaze me how when shit gets rocky like you describe, people resort to being bands of dumbasses bent on self-gratification first.  No community building from within, no drive to improve conditions through personal hard labor, nada.

Instead "rides for blowjobs."

Humans suck.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 08:41:30 am by wierd »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79864 on: June 27, 2015, 08:40:42 am »

You used to be a stripper?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79865 on: June 27, 2015, 08:46:04 am »

Once upon a time.  I did it for like 2 years after I left the NAVY.

I was ripped.  I spent like 3 hours a day at the gym.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79866 on: June 27, 2015, 08:47:08 am »

become cattle
Wait, that's what she meant by the farm thing? I am conflicted here. On the one hand that's terrible. On the other hand that's a real thing that happens outside of the canoodle doodles.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79867 on: June 27, 2015, 08:49:16 am »

Lots of people have been/are strippers. It's surprisingly common.

Even very respectable people in respectable vocations often have less respectable job histories. Take a nurse I work with; she used to be a telephone psychic (and openly admits that it is a sham.)

There's this false veneer of "ideal" plastered over the reality of the world we live in. I'd thought most people here had already learned that? It does not bother me at all that PK used to be a stripper. The part that bothers me is the lack of drive PK describes causing their environment to be so shitty.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79868 on: June 27, 2015, 08:52:23 am »

:(
But thats what the school is for.

Having gotten into this mess, it takes time and ultimately money to get out of it.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79869 on: June 27, 2015, 08:59:31 am »

How about this:

PK, what do you WANT to do with your life?

It's cliche as fuck, but that is the single most important question you can ask yourself. Life planning really is how you get out of bad situations. Shit, i've gone through 3 jobs in the past year now because of rocky shit.  Doing OK now, because I was able to plan out a course of contingency. Think about what it is you WANT to do with your life, list the things you need to be able to get there, then break down all the things that need to happen for those things to happen. Be realistic, dont say things like "I need to win the lottery" or something similarly fantastical. Put together a lifeplan for the next 10 years to get to that goal, made up of smaller, but perfectly achievable subgoals. Then go from there.

That's how you get out of holes like that.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79870 on: June 27, 2015, 09:03:49 am »

The plan is to grab my license this fall, recert for EMT, and work nights while I go to school at day.

With the license back, I could even apply for cop (maybe) or fireman or even group home worker person. 

While I appreciate the concern, I could even go work for a factory if I had to.  Scarry concept though, the idea of trying to work in an industrial setting only long enough to get my own ends met.  things like that tend to become a career too easily.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:05:53 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79871 on: June 27, 2015, 09:13:11 am »

Nobunaga's Ambition 12 and 13 are out on steam, but not translated.  /cry

Nobunaga's Ambition is the equivalent of Romance of the Three Kingdoms(both Koei games), but based on Japan's warring state feudal period.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79872 on: June 27, 2015, 09:20:04 am »

I currently work in a nursing home, after having to quit my engineering job due to a corporate buyout + institution of an intellectual agreement that I could not agree to, (Literally, it was an agreement in perpetuity. I dont sign agreements in perpetuity) and after the "fortune 500 technical support, for other fortune 500s" job made my lose half my hair, and want to murderfuck people. (Really, that job was turning me into a monster and I hated it.)

I dont consider it a career, but I DO like the old people I am taking care of now. (that is, I genuinely care about their well being.) It is substantially more psychologically rewarding than the fortune 500 support job. (where I had 3 bosses circling the floor like vultures, and where the stress made OfficeSpace seem tame. You havent lived until you get to experience being called a racist, for pointing out that a co-worker's banter is racially offensive after they suggest that a black co-worker needed some watermelon to go with some fried chicken. --by a black duty manager. That's just the tip of the iceberg on the WTF that was at that job.)

My plans at this point in time are to re-build my "Oh SHIT!" funds, as they went dry during my recent spells of unemployment, then seek good engineering work again.

Personally though PK, I think you should aim higher than police officer or fireman, unless those are things you honestly, deeply want to be.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79873 on: June 27, 2015, 09:57:25 am »

And since this is the WTF thread, I think I will fully elaborate on the fortune 500 support job.

For about 7 months of last year, I worked for NetApp. They are a fortune 500 company that sells high end datacenter grade storage solutions to other fortune 500 companies. They also have a FILTHY policy on how they do their hiring-- Namely, they do not hire direct, but instead "Contract to hire" through other agencies, like Convergys. In order to get a "real job" there, you have to go through 2 years of hell working for one of those call center whores, being a call center whore. I was such a call center whore. In addition to Netapp's own policies, contractor sub-employees have the rules of their actual employer (whoever they were subcontracted through) imposes on top of those. That means not only do you have bosses on the side you are contracted to work for, you have bosses on the contractor side you have to appease too. So, not just one sticky ball of tape to deal with in terms of management, but TWO. 

For now, let's focus on just Netapp's side.  In order to give a customer are replacement part, UNDER WARRANTY, you have to go through the following process:

1) Prove that it is under warranty.
2) Prove that the part actually failed (EXHAUSTIVELY)
3) Create a PRE-APPROVAL template that contains at least 4 documented data sources indicating that actual failure occurred --AND WHEN-- but also that the data you collected INDICATES failure-- AND what other troubleshooting or remedial steps you have taken prior to requesting a replacement-- Then sending that to your Senior support Engineer level 2 (SSE2) for pre-approval, THEN send the SAME data to the ACTUAL hardware approver after filling out a hardware request template, which requires EVEN MORE things-- Then hope you dont get denied because the hardware approver (is an idiot) thinks that you need to try (some bullshit troubleshooting for clearly documented failures, like jiggling the power cable, when the PSU itself is reading that line voltage is OK, but that the supply's internal electronics have failed) Thinks you have not fully investigated the issue.
4) Hound the HW approver to stay on task, since you have literally 30 minutes after sending the approval form before it expires for them to review the request and approve or deny before you have to start at step 1 again, and the HW approvers are ALSO L2 and L3 support, and get calls!
5) Once you FINALLY get approved, then you have to fill out the hardware requisition and delivery templates, and hope that SAP does not crash when you update the servie ticket.
and of course--
6) You have to do all this WHILE ON THE PHONE WITH THE CLIENT, WITHOUT TELLING THEM ABOUT THE PROCESS.

Because heaven forbid that somebody ACTUALLY GET a replacement power supply when it literally expels smoke.

And yes-- that is an ACTUAL case I worked.

Oh, yes-- Did I mention that you have several managers and corporate executives who think it is lots of fun to just eavesdrop on calls to see how the poor support reps are handling these fucktastic balls of red tape, and are ever so eager to fire you?

And the best part--

After you successfully resolve a support case, you get at most, 4 minutes to button it up before you MUST take another call-- and that Fortune 500 companies expect you to figuratively lick their shit encrusted assholes? (and that the previously mentioned eavesdropping corporate overlords expect you to do so, without violating process?)

Also, during this time, you are expected to be working other cases simultaneously that have been sent to you via the automated dispatch system, so you are getting bombarded with literally 300 emails a day, ALL OF WHICH YOU MUST READ, AND ACTIVELY RESPOND TO.

You are also expected to sit and monitor an internal IRC session in case somebody needs your personal field of expertise for a consult on how to resolve their case, or in case a priority 1 case comes up that needs instant resolution. (Of course, without violating process mind.)

Did I mention that the templates change week to week, because management cant decide on standard forms?

Oh-- and the guy on the other end of your support call is probably in India, and does not know a %$#%ing thing about how the storage controller works, and expects you to administer it for him remotely, even though that is something IS NEVER, EVER, EVER, DONE. (Basically, he wants you to do his job for him, as he struggles to handle a PuTTY session.)-- because the Fortune 500 company who owns the datacenter is too cheap to hire people that are both local and competent. (YES! That's right! The guy in India is REMOTE ADMINSTERING the storage controllers, that are physically located in a data center half the world away, so even if you WANTED to have him jiggle a power cable, HE PHYSICALLY CANNOT.)

(No, for real, one case had a datacenter that was literally READY TO CATCH ON FIRE, because more than half the cooling units in their disk shelves had failed, and THEY WERE IGNORING IT. Many shelves were completely without a functional cooling unit, and were only being passively cooled through direct contact with adjacent shelves in the rack, who were functioning on only one of the spec'd 2 cooling units each. Oh, and ambient temperature sensors showed that the ambient temperature in the datacenter was over 80F. WAAAY out of expected tolerances. That's the level of incompetence I am talking about. They had been ingoring this problem FOR TWO YEARS. I had to go through the above red tape process for FIFTY, yes, "50" PSUs for their datacenter to make it healthy again, fully documenting the failures of EACH AND EVERY ONE.)

So yeah-- After my stint there, I was ready to murderfuck the people around me, and my loathing of corporate america has only deepened to an almost black shade of sanguine hue.

And of course, to get a job doing ANYTHING over on the Netapp side, you have to deal with that clusterfuck for 2 solid years, before you are even ELIGIBLE, due to the hiring/contracting agreements they make with their hiring firms. 

I had to quit before I went all unibomber or something.

The local nursing home? Sure, there's some days where every resident seems to need to poop at exactly the same moment, but it's a cakewalk in comparison.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:04:35 am by wierd »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #79874 on: June 27, 2015, 10:26:35 am »

I just randomly found out homeopathy advocates... advocate (for lack of a better word) using *arsenic* for chronic fatigue. I guess it would guarantee a long, long rest, but the dosage they use is way too low for that.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 5323 5324 [5325] 5326 5327 ... 11040