Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5265 5266 [5267] 5268 5269 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14489445 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #78990 on: June 14, 2015, 10:38:41 pm »

is it.... yahtzee?!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78991 on: June 14, 2015, 10:40:04 pm »

It is Anita Sarceesian

She just... lost all my respect for her as a media critic...

Unless I find out those comments were fake somehow...

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78992 on: June 14, 2015, 10:45:03 pm »

Oh. See, people were guessing Yahtzee and others because very few people actually recognize Beata Anita as an actual game critic.

You referring to the "bombed women's rights out of Japan" or "Toxic masculinity causes school shootings" or what?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78993 on: June 14, 2015, 10:45:36 pm »

It is her E3 comments

http://puu.sh/ipjFf/993b3446b1.jpg

Don't get me wrong in terms of "Dumb" she has said dumber.

But never has she "Not got the point" far more.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78994 on: June 14, 2015, 10:50:16 pm »

It is her E3 comments

http://puu.sh/ipjFf/993b3446b1.jpg

Don't get me wrong in terms of "Dumb" she has said dumber.

But never has she "Not got the point" far more.
She's said a lot of stupid things about violence in games being ebul, and so has her producer Johnathan "Full" Mcintosh. Why is *this* the one that made you lose respect for her?

Like, I don't like her and I think her opinions are often suspect but under the circumstances I'm just concerned this is the F4 hype train messing with peoples' minds.

EDIT: Speaking of Mcintosh, I decided to see his opinions:
Gamers cheering loudly at scenes of brutal dismemberment. God this is depressing as hell. Welcome to the gaming industry. #BE3 #DOOM

This shit is sick. There is something deeply deeply seriously wrong with anyone cheering for this #Doom4 Trailer.
Nope nope nope nope

Anyone who watches a Doom trailer and expects it to be Gone Home 2 probably doesn't actually know very much about video games.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:56:14 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78995 on: June 14, 2015, 10:57:31 pm »

Because there is one thing to say you don't like violence in games and that is your stance. It is one thing to say that games shouldn't be violent (which she has before).

But it is another to go "Wow, this game sure would be good... if it wasn't violent"

AKA: "Hey if this game was an entirely different game it would be good"

She went from anti-violent... to a moron.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78996 on: June 14, 2015, 11:01:31 pm »

I checked Ghazi and SRSGaming on le Reddit and even the churches of Nuestra Señora de Femfreq think her comments are full of shit. They bring up an interesting point: there should be more nonviolent games and it's fine to think that, but Fallout and Doom are not games that would work without gory, gratuitous violence.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78997 on: June 14, 2015, 11:01:42 pm »

EDIT: Speaking of Mcintosh, I decided to see his opinions:
Gamers cheering loudly at scenes of brutal dismemberment. God this is depressing as hell. Welcome to the gaming industry. #BE3 #DOOM

This shit is sick. There is something deeply deeply seriously wrong with anyone cheering for this #Doom4 Trailer.
Nope nope nope nope

Anyone who watches a Doom trailer and expects it to be Gone Home 2 probably doesn't actually know very much about video games.
Because there is one thing to say you don't like violence in games and that is your stance. It is one thing to say that games shouldn't be violent (which she has before).

But it is another to go "Wow, this game sure would be good... if it wasn't violent"

AKA: "Hey if this game was an entirely different game it would be good"

She went from anti-violent... to a moron.
Welcome to thought police, 2015 edition. You're not allowed to have fun in any way that's not accepted by SJW community. Enjoy your stay.
._.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #78998 on: June 14, 2015, 11:02:57 pm »

She seems especially crazy to me because my personal beliefs are on the opposite end of the spectrum. My hope is to someday come across a game so gory that it causes me to vomit on my keyboard.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78999 on: June 14, 2015, 11:11:06 pm »

here's my position on this whole sordid affair.

When you make a game critique based on a preconceived world view, you are not being unbiased. That makes your review nothing more than a biased editorial piece, and destroys all objectivity in the review.

This is true no matter what is being critiqued. it could be food-- "Your roast salmon entree is shit, because I hate salmon." Etc.

When a reviewer does this, they expose themselves as being a REALLY BAD REVIEWER. End of story.

If more people thought this way about such "reviews", and especially about "reviewers", then there would simply be no room for reviews or critiques to become vehicles for social agendas.

It always floors me how SJW types will scream about freedom of expression when THEY get censored, but are quite happy to censor everyone else.  Trying to hijack legitimate reviews of media offerings with their agenda is censorship. They dont consider it as such, but that is exactly what it is.

Any "reviewer" that uses this tactic ("I dont like that kind of thing, so instant bad review!") should immediately be placed in the "Full on moron" pile.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79000 on: June 14, 2015, 11:15:48 pm »

here's my position on this whole sordid affair.

When you make a game critique based on a preconceived world view, you are not being unbiased. That makes your review nothing more than a biased editorial piece, and destroys all objectivity in the review.

This is true no matter what is being critiqued. it could be food-- "Your roast salmon entree is shit, because I hate salmon." Etc.

When a reviewer does this, they expose themselves as being a REALLY BAD REVIEWER. End of story.

If more people thought this way about such "reviews", and especially about "reviewers", then there would simply be no room for reviews or critiques to become vehicles for social agendas.

It always floors me how SJW types will scream about freedom of expression when THEY get censored, but are quite happy to censor everyone else.  Trying to hijack legitimate reviews of media offerings with their agenda is censorship. They dont consider it as such, but that is exactly what it is.

Any "reviewer" that uses this tactic ("I dont like that kind of thing, so instant bad review!") should immediately be placed in the "Full on moron" pile.
I agree with most of what you said, but that's not really relevant and the kind of thing that brings thread closings about. Anita Sarkeesian positions herself as a media critic, but she's not the kind of critic who gives reviews and scores and such, so complaining about the problems with game reviews is a separate issue from criticizing her for whatever reason (and there are plenty).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79001 on: June 14, 2015, 11:17:39 pm »

She does officially get on my "full of moron" list

And trust me it is HARD to get on this list.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79002 on: June 14, 2015, 11:19:19 pm »

I've barely heard anything about her since the thread got deleted (cough) but her statement doesn't seem bad *on its own*.  It's not saying Fallout 4 is bad because it's violent, just that it has a cool mechanic that could be even better applied to edutainment or something.

Of course I wouldn't be surprised if she hates Fallout 4 for being violent.  Like I said I'm not up on her current positions, just that single tweet on its own.

Now I know why you didn't want to bring it up though, though it would be Totalbiscuit or something...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79003 on: June 14, 2015, 11:23:53 pm »

That said, it always excites me when a game like Fallout or the Elder Scrolls does the whole "rebuild a village" thing, so I GUESS I can see her point of view from that angle. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79004 on: June 14, 2015, 11:31:33 pm »

That said, it always excites me when a game like Fallout or the Elder Scrolls does the whole "rebuild a village" thing, so I GUESS I can see her point of view from that angle. :v

Sure if you go out of your way to make her statement make sense from your point of view rather than hers... Then yes it does make sense.

Too bad that isn't what she means :P

Which is "this feature is cool! But it is wasted because Fallout 4 is violent"
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:34:37 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 5265 5266 [5267] 5268 5269 ... 11037