Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5205 5206 [5207] 5208 5209 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14503042 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #78090 on: June 01, 2015, 01:05:18 am »

There's a difference between
Spoiler: blackface (click to show/hide)
and

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78091 on: June 01, 2015, 01:17:02 am »

No pufferfish there is no difference

Blackface is ANYTIME a White person pretends to be a black person... period

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78092 on: June 01, 2015, 01:24:34 am »

That's technically what the word means, yeah.
There's still a world of difference between those two examples though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #78093 on: June 01, 2015, 01:34:43 am »

Because it is insensitive due to the history around it
By the same argument, you could deem basically anything to be offensive or insensitive.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #78094 on: June 01, 2015, 01:37:08 am »

By the same argument, you could deem basically anything to be offensive or insensitive.
>Implying people don't.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #78095 on: June 01, 2015, 01:43:29 am »

I really struggle to see that.  Black face has a genuinely awful history, and is part of an even larger history of racial injustice.  That is not true of the vast majority of things.  (and before someone says it, I mean actually awful, not "hurr durr slaves wore clothes that means clothes are racist").
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78096 on: June 01, 2015, 01:46:03 am »

Speaking of which... Can someone explain to me why blackface is considered so much worse than any other case in which a person of one race plays a member of a different race, including other cases where the race being portrayed is one that has been historically discriminated against.

Why is it that if I dressed up in blackface people would be extremely offended, but if I dressed up like an asian or a latino then people would be only mildly offended, if at all.
It's because of the history, a form of entertainment that mocked the slaves in the slave states:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show

The minstrel show, or minstrelsy, was a US form of entertainment developed in the 19th century, consisting of comic skits, variety acts, dancing, and music, performed by white people in blackface or, especially after the U.S. Civil War, by black people.

Minstrel shows lampooned black people as dim-witted, lazy, buffoonish, superstitious, happy-go-lucky, and musical. The minstrel show began with brief burlesques and comic entr'actes in the early 1830s and emerged as a full-fledged form in the next decade. By 1848, blackface minstrel shows were the national artform, translating formal art such as opera into popular terms for a general audience.

An analogy would be if the NAZIs created "the incredible Jew cabaret show" where Germans dressed up as Jews with plastic noses and mocked Jewish culture.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:02:33 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #78097 on: June 01, 2015, 02:00:55 am »

I really struggle to see that.  Black face has a genuinely awful history, and is part of an even larger history of racial injustice.  That is not true of the vast majority of things.  (and before someone says it, I mean actually awful, not "hurr durr slaves wore clothes that means clothes are racist").
Yeah, the whole blackface thing was pretty bad. But not any more.
And it does depend on what standard we hold things to. Are stakes offensive to witches because so many were unjustly burned? Or is the fact that it's to do with race the sticking point?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78098 on: June 01, 2015, 02:06:18 am »

Yeah, the whole blackface thing was pretty bad. But not any more.
And it does depend on what standard we hold things to. Are stakes offensive to witches because so many were unjustly burned? Or is the fact that it's to do with race the sticking point?

Well you could make the same argument that Germans running around telling "Jews in the gas ovens" jokes isn't offensive, since that doesn't happen "anymore" either. But institutional prejudice against blacks in America is still a thing, and it stretches right back to the blackface minstrel days without a break. You can't say the same for witches being burnt at the stake. Or Jews in gas ovens for that matter.

So it's ok to revive racist stuff against black people as long as you're reviving an old racism that became unpopular, because that's not racist anymore because it was replaced by modern racism? Pretty convoluted argument.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:11:10 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #78099 on: June 01, 2015, 02:08:33 am »

>Implying people don't.
TRIGGER ME TIMBERS

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78100 on: June 01, 2015, 02:13:40 am »

the only people who are offended by such jokes are the germans themselves

and potentially jews

if i were you i'd ask hans the gas oven entrepreneur though

>Implying people don't.
TRIGGER ME TIMBERS

𝘼𝘽𝙎𝙊𝙇𝙐𝙏𝙀𝙇𝙔 𝙏𝙍𝙄𝙂𝙂𝙀𝙍𝙏𝘼𝙎𝙏𝙄𝘾

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78101 on: June 01, 2015, 03:19:53 am »

Wtf my killing in the name of the Buddha thread got locked overnight, without any word from Toady on it.

If I had to guess, it would be because Loud Whispers said fucking fuck too fucking many fucking times in his replies :(
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #78102 on: June 01, 2015, 03:31:25 am »

So it's ok to revive racist stuff against black people as long as you're reviving an old racism that became unpopular, because that's not racist anymore because it was replaced by modern racism? Pretty convoluted argument.
My point is there's nothing inherently racist with painting one's face black. It is, however, associated with ye olde blackface nonsense which shouldn't really be relevant any more.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #78103 on: June 01, 2015, 04:59:14 am »

Indeed. I see no problems with an actor painting their face black if the actual "character" in the show is a puppet, or if they are just an "invisible" stage hand, or similar. It has literally no connection to the old-fashioned blackface racist stuff, so I've never seen why people get so worked up about it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #78104 on: June 01, 2015, 05:23:36 am »

My point is there's nothing inherently racist with painting one's face black. It is, however, associated with ye olde blackface nonsense which shouldn't really be relevant any more.

Why exactly shouldn't it be relevant any more?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 5205 5206 [5207] 5208 5209 ... 11037