Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5098 5099 [5100] 5101 5102 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14504113 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76485 on: May 16, 2015, 06:17:18 pm »

Is everyone going to quote the person who asked not to be quote? :P

Some people want criminals to be treated badly because they 'deserve it'. They basically do the whole 'hold onto spite' thing and want to make it law.

Yep... pretty much...

But they never think of "Hey what happens when they are out of jail?"

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76486 on: May 16, 2015, 06:19:26 pm »

in order to not be quote you must first transcend quote

but that's the same level of imagination people exhibit when making mario kart 8 mashups therefore you might wish to steer away from this aisle and head for the deli instead

it has sausage, you can speak into it

also people know shit about handling criminals what's new

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76487 on: May 16, 2015, 06:19:44 pm »

They shut down a rehabilitation center not far from where I live for no other reason then "Ohhh, criminals shouldn't be treated well" in spite the fact that it was actually so successful it paid for itself.
Like... hold on, here. The center was literally paying for itself? Providing full funding through its own activities? And they shut it down?

... this is definitely the right thread for that, if so. That's some sincere nose chopping, right there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76488 on: May 16, 2015, 06:20:25 pm »

Cleaning out my computer, I seem to have multiple folders with identical paths. Like I've got two Stardock folders in My Documents, for example. I'm sure there's some invisible characters in there or something, but still. Weird.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76489 on: May 16, 2015, 06:20:55 pm »

They shut down a rehabilitation center not far from where I live for no other reason then "Ohhh, criminals shouldn't be treated well" in spite the fact that it was actually so successful it paid for itself.
Like... hold on, here. The center was literally paying for itself? Providing full funding through its own activities? And they shut it down?

... this is definitely the right thread for that, if so. That's some sincere nose chopping, right there.

Ohhh no... I actually meant the rehabilitation rates saved enough money that it actually saved the city more money then it spent on it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76490 on: May 16, 2015, 06:22:38 pm »

Ohhh no... I actually meant the rehabilitation rates saved enough money that it actually saved the city more money then it spent on it.
Ah. Yeah, that's still brainmushingly stupid, but not quite as mushingly. Just mostly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #76493 on: May 16, 2015, 06:29:03 pm »

Put them back innit

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #76494 on: May 16, 2015, 07:00:59 pm »

Put them back innit
What do you mean, criminals get out of jail? That's preposterous! Everyone knows that once you step into a jail, you never step out.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76495 on: May 16, 2015, 07:12:23 pm »

Some people want criminals to be treated badly because they 'deserve it'. They basically do the whole 'hold onto spite' thing and want to make it law.

Yep... pretty much...

It's the public. Have you MET the public?

Wait, internet. Everyone on the internet is introverted :P

I deapise the general public.

At any rate it works out... because the public also needs to be punished.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:15:05 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #76496 on: May 16, 2015, 07:24:03 pm »

I always thought of prisons as protecting the general public from criminals. Like, this guy's a murderer, put him in prison so he doesn't murder anyone else. Not put him in prison so he feels bad about what he did and promises not to do it again. That doesn't make any sense.
Rehabilitation is good because you can then turn the criminal back into a productive member of society, which is good for literally everyone.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76497 on: May 16, 2015, 07:28:07 pm »

Imprisonment has nothing to do with any of the things you are talking about here, they are simply byproducts.  The real point is that someone who has 'gone over the wall' of civil obedience once is more likely to do so again, by incarcerating them you are showing that there is a clear penalty for doing so, and thereby decrease the probability of them doing so on another occasion.  All of these modern concepts of rehabilitation and protecting the public are just branch-offs of that basic concept.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #76498 on: May 16, 2015, 07:31:43 pm »

Imprisonment has nothing to do with any of the things you are talking about here, they are simply byproducts.
This sentence totally makes sense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76499 on: May 16, 2015, 07:59:50 pm »

Ugh...

Has anyone played a videogame and saw just a flat out rock stupid story and wondered, seriously wondered, what people saw in it?

I started playing Bioshock Infinite again... and I had an easier time with it... but I thought I was past the REALLY stupid parts... I didn't know the entire GAME was a congaline of stupidity.

So... lets play a mind game for a second...

Lets say you have a prisoner that you need to remain trapped inside your prison complex BUT you need this person alive... Now there are three kinds of guards you can post
1) A Relentless killing machine that will kill anyone discriminately and is too big for the prison
2) A bunch of well trained guards who have been taught many ways of harmlessly taking down a prisoner without hurting them
3) A teleporting birdman who has the ability to control and talk to birds

... Then I walk to this ordinary mansion that for SOME reason is the freeken haunted mansion... for no reason... with a lot of rotting food... for no reason... and people in face concealing hoods, FOR NO REASON! This is like going into a Jewish Synagogue and everyone decides to wear Lucha Libre masks and litter the floor with spoiled bananas... But they are otherwise just ordinary Jews.

Honestly I want to know how anyone got through this game without going "This is dumb!" even once...

Mind you I am biased because the start of the game has the main character acting as stupid as humanly possible...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:03:51 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 5098 5099 [5100] 5101 5102 ... 11037