Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5062 5063 [5064] 5065 5066 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14516199 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75945 on: May 08, 2015, 01:28:36 pm »

By any metric you choose to use, my new boss is a goddamn moron. I have no idea how he even got this job.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #75946 on: May 08, 2015, 01:38:38 pm »

Graft? Nepotism? Turning tricks? Recruiter incompetence? Is usually one of those four.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75947 on: May 08, 2015, 01:43:16 pm »

Incompetent management tends toward being consistently unable to determine actual competence.

This leads to top tier managers hiring middle and lower tier managers that are just as incompetent as they are.  This happens when Daddy MyCorporationIsNamedAfterMe hires his incompetent son, who cant even tie his own shoe laces right, as a top level exec, and then just covers for him. (and other such routes of entry.)

It eventually runs its course, and the incompetence becomes systemic, and the system eventually collapses-- but not before it takes a HUGE toll on all of the other employees and the shareholders in that corporation.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #75948 on: May 08, 2015, 02:13:01 pm »

IQ is a measure of intelligence relative to age, with 100 as base and, IIRC, +/- 20 points of variance among regular people. An IQ of 150 means, for example, a 10-year-old with the reasoning abilities of a 15-year-old.

It's a hilariously bad method of measuring intelligence above average, since it never was designed for that. It just got picked up and applied where it really shouldn't belong.

that hasn't been true for over 50 years

it's entirely based on the normal model now, not a quotient

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #75949 on: May 08, 2015, 02:26:30 pm »

Yes, but even that they manage to make really weird :P

They vote on someone, who's sole purpose is to then vote for someone else as president. It's an unnecessary middle-man. At least Westminster parliamentary, the middle-man is also an MP, so they have some other purpose too.

The point is that there shouldn't be a middle-man at all
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75950 on: May 08, 2015, 02:35:26 pm »

I agree, but at least in other places there's a veneer of deniability on the whole idea. "Oh, well, they do elect the leader, but that's just incidental! Don't worry about it too much, they do other things that are far more important!" At least there's an inherent acknowledgement that it's kind of skeevy and that we'd be smart enough to notice.

In the US it's just "Nah, we don't trust you idiots to do it right. Let these nice fellows tell us how you really feel, eh?"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75951 on: May 08, 2015, 03:05:59 pm »

Apparently I was wrong, I'm not working all day tomorrow and Sunday. I suppose I should reiterate that a supervisor should be able to give clear and complete instructions. When mine said "Saturday and Sunday", she meant a weekend almost a month from now... which may or may not happen due to what I hope is an impending lawsuit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #75952 on: May 08, 2015, 04:25:23 pm »

You know whats really infuriating and inexplicable? Why, when you're dealing with your colleges' financial aid slaves, they want you to rewrite a letter you did last semester, because they changed like, a spelling mistake or something. I'm redoing the entire process of bullshit i went through last semester with them, unwillingness to provide me the information on the documents they need included. And i was hoping firing that pervert giving away grants for blowjobs would have been enough to sort some of this crap out. Apparently they just don't keep files.

And then I'm trying to get my debt paid with the other college I attended. They keep sending it to different collection agencies, so i'm bouncing off every wall imaginable and I can't get a single payment through. These guys are apparently holding onto it for two weeks, neglecting to email me or anything, and then sending it back to the college, utterly defeated by their own incompetence. I figure they could just bribe the NSA to give them my email if that's the only hindrance.

And the college' website for whatever reason requires you to restart your own computer when they update information for that to show up? I profess I don't actually understand computer programming and internat whatsit all that well, but I've never run into anything like that before, and I've never even accessed this colleges' webservices before on this laptop. Personally I'd think this fucker's just pulling my leg, if not for the fact that I can't log on, at all, now that I try. I have the login information, I never lose my login information.

One of these beaurocrats is getting a lawyer, one of them is getting a mafia visit, and their supervisors are both getting angry hatemail for Christmas. God damn it.

And that tech support guy? I'm going to coat his servers in maple syrup and asbestos.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #75953 on: May 08, 2015, 08:25:24 pm »

why does tuxguitar think that E♯ === F♮

i mean, yeah, they're the exact same note

but you look at sheet music and want E♯ because it looks like shit when you're going from E♯ to F♯ and instead it's switching between Fs like nobody's business and yurgh

maybe i should switch to D♭ from C♯?

It gives you the option for 7 sharps then doesn't actually display B♯ or E♯...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75954 on: May 08, 2015, 11:15:13 pm »

is there a way to just...
delete the first hundred posts you've made? god, was i awkward two years ago.
and moderately bad at roleplaying.
Black lives matter.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #75955 on: May 08, 2015, 11:34:09 pm »

The short answer is no.

The long answer is Toady could (though, uh. I'm not sure he would if asked without some kind of seriously compelling reason), and you could go back and edit them into nothingness, which is roughly equivalent to deleting them providing no one quoted you.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #75956 on: May 08, 2015, 11:38:56 pm »

And we've seen what happens when people ask not to be quoted for that very reason.

People act like you're insulting their mothers.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #75957 on: May 09, 2015, 12:10:11 am »

Eh, I see it more as along the lines of 'I shouldn't be held accountable for the things I say/said.' if someone asks me to not quote them, I'll oblige, but I still see it as... Distasteful.

People can change, but if one has changed then whatever it was that was said shouldn't really be relevant any more.

Anyway, Bowtie, I highly doubt many people are going to bother reading your first 100 posts. Why would they?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #75958 on: May 09, 2015, 12:42:52 am »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:15:36 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #75959 on: May 09, 2015, 01:18:03 am »

You can go manually delete the content of old posts (I now do this sometimes to relax), but unfortunately you can't touch things in locked threads, and of course any time you've been quoted the content will live on forever.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 5062 5063 [5064] 5065 5066 ... 11037