Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5022 5023 [5024] 5025 5026 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14517029 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75345 on: April 29, 2015, 01:23:30 pm »

People seriously believe in souls?

I think a lot of people do, I mean its pretty much the basis for religion in general isn't it?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75346 on: April 29, 2015, 01:27:12 pm »

No, not really.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75347 on: April 29, 2015, 01:29:51 pm »

Reminds me of a dream I had when I was younger actually.  Humanity was testing its first faster-than-light spaceship, but it turned out souls couldn't quite go that fast so the souls fell out of the astronauts.  The astronauts were fine(I guess the souls weren't important for people), but then the souls caught up and started haunting the astronauts. 

It was a pretty awesome dream.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #75348 on: April 29, 2015, 01:31:35 pm »

I'unno null, belief in the soul is more ubiquitous to religious belief than belief in a god is -- there's major religions that are atheistic (buddhism, ferex), but pretty much none of them posit a soulless existence (barring tiny denominations here and there). It's definitely, if not the basis of religion in general, then definitely one of the biggest ones.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75349 on: April 29, 2015, 01:33:01 pm »

I'll grant that the concept is very common, almost to the point of being ubiquitous, but not quite.

From a purely technical standpoint the fundamental basis of religion is belief in a concept that is impossible to prove.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #75350 on: April 29, 2015, 01:34:38 pm »

Depends on what you mean by a soul, I suppose. Much like with the concept of free will, I'd say people get hung up on magical properties they ascribe to them, so that when people reject those they reject the whole idea. The word certainly has a place in my vocabulary, I think.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #75351 on: April 29, 2015, 01:37:42 pm »

Yesterday I had a dream it was Thursday and I hadn't turned in my research paper.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #75352 on: April 29, 2015, 01:44:09 pm »

Uh, enig? Today's friday, chummer.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #75353 on: April 29, 2015, 02:00:45 pm »

Someone once said that religion exists simply because we die. Since a body seems quite inanimate after death, body-soul dualism (or equivalent) is pretty much necessary for any religion with any kind of afterlife beyond immobility in a grave, nonexistence etc. Because that would be depressing, people try and cope with their mortality by choosing to believe. Personally, I don't see a way to test the existence of souls, at least with modern scientific methods, so I'm just going to wait and see what lies beyond the veil and not worry about it here. Yes, many religions say I have to believe to them in life to be rewarded in death, but with so many, and all of them created by regular human beings, all I'm left with is uncertainty. Deep within, I would want to hope for something good, but there really is no clear way to know of or influence afterlife, despite what some might say. If there is an afterlife, I'll never be ready for it. And I'm willing to accept that. Even if I weren't, I would have to accept my mortality sooner or later. We die.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75354 on: April 29, 2015, 02:01:08 pm »

http://thehill.com/regulation/240163-religious-leaders-want-justices-restrained-from-ruling-on-same-sex-marriage

Can you imagine if they did that on interracial marriage, or any other issue for that matter? One side just saying the other just literally CAN'T even have a chance of winning or even presenting their case at all? Just imagine a corporation paying to pass a law saying nobody could ever sue them because no judge ever had jurisdiction no matter what.

Ouch.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #75355 on: April 29, 2015, 02:03:35 pm »

I had to print the entire source code for my A-level computing project.

All 7205 lines of it.

That adds up to 134 pages. I knew that I had written a lot of code, but 134 pages. Geez.

It's a half-done text based RPG btw. Most of that is for world generation and file input/output.
I remember hearing about some old game companies that would store all their older games on reams upon reams of paper because the storage size was actually less that way.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75356 on: April 29, 2015, 02:05:56 pm »

I had to print the entire source code for my A-level computing project.

All 7205 lines of it.

That adds up to 134 pages. I knew that I had written a lot of code, but 134 pages. Geez.

It's a half-done text based RPG btw. Most of that is for world generation and file input/output.
God these stupid rules

Why do they make people waste valuable paper

Paper = dead trees

these rules are literally incentivize killing trees en masse

and that's terrible
._.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #75357 on: April 29, 2015, 02:06:38 pm »

Just imagine a corporation paying to pass a law saying nobody could ever sue them because no judge ever had jurisdiction no matter what.

Ouch.

Ever heard anything about British corporate tax avoidance? You won't have to imagine if the Tories get in again, as the SNP (I thought they were the good guys  :( ) seem to be trying to make happen. >:(
One wheel short of a wagon

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #75358 on: April 29, 2015, 02:11:42 pm »

I remember hearing about some old game companies that would store all their older games on reams upon reams of paper because the storage size was actually less that way.

Probably back in the days of machine code.

God these stupid rules

Why do they make people waste valuable paper

Paper = dead trees

these rules are literally incentivize killing trees en masse

and that's terrible

Especially since its a Computing course. It's not like USB drives are very expensive. The entire thing is only 21 MB, most of that is for the .exe, and 5 MB if you compress it into a .zip.
A half decent USB drive can hold many times that.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #75359 on: April 29, 2015, 02:18:28 pm »

...why don't they just set up a Moodle page? Even 21 megs is within sane upload levels, and 5 very much so. 134 pages is well outside sane printing ranges.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 5022 5023 [5024] 5025 5026 ... 11037