Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5013 5014 [5015] 5016 5017 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14515736 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75210 on: April 28, 2015, 02:24:31 am »

5th edition of D&D appears to be dead. There are no splatbooks, not even in project. This can't be good.

No, it is good. That's a deliberate design decision they made. The idea is that the player's handbook is all you need now. Older editions especially 2nd Ed got to the point where you needed dozens of rulebooks to join a game, depending on what everyone else was using. The goal of 5th Ed is to increase eye contact and talking/role-playing, and reduce the amount of leafing through a pile of rulebooks to determine things, but also to avoid the arms-race of optional rulebooks, which can make it very daunting and expensive for new players to play with established players.

It's paid off with chart-topping sales, which is especially noteworthy given that the game is competing with video games. You just need one book now, and can join any regular game. All new optional rules are contained in modules, and they have a deliberate policy of only including what's needed to make that specific module work in a story sense. So, really, only the DM needs to buy the new supplements. That seems to be the goal.

http://www.examiner.com/article/5e-d-d-player-s-handbook-tops-amazon-sales-lists

Remember, that 2nd Ed AD&D sent TSR broke and saw them being bought up by a competitor. More optional books did not equal more profits.

Actually, from what i understand, Gary Gygax left TSR after he found out that the execs he left in charge bought some 20 cars on the compant dime. It was hubris and stupidity.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #75211 on: April 28, 2015, 04:07:47 am »

Listening to myself in a podcast made me realize that a lot of my podcasting mannerisms are basically me subconsciously copying the Toady One.

...I mean, it's not that weird when I think about it, given that DFTalk was the first podcast I really ever listened to, but I didn't expect to listen and be like "oh i sound like toady at 45 rpm"

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #75212 on: April 28, 2015, 04:46:07 am »

Youtube doubler: If you turn the sound of the left side off, the queen song has really good synchronization with the Man vs Machine trailer. Every 8 beats the scene changes, and as the song builds up to the climax all the machines come out!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75213 on: April 28, 2015, 06:42:25 am »

I tossed a bag of trash into the dumpster, then turned and walked away. A moment later, I heard the dumpster lid open again, and turned to see something crawl out. turns out i ruined a raccoon's evening
If this was during the day or in a well-lit area, I'd be okay with it.
If this was during the night, I would enter fight/flight mode so fast man you have no idea
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75214 on: April 28, 2015, 06:46:09 am »

WTF of the day : I am now a registered Greenpeace member.
I signed in. I actually did something, and even more exceptional, something good :)

I think I'll even go to the nearby antenna to see how I can help ._.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75215 on: April 28, 2015, 08:03:13 am »

Heheh aren't Greenpeace those guys who trashed the environment?
That's all I seem to hear about them nowadays.
Which is probably some pretty hefty PR on "the man's" part. But the irony still gets me.

I tossed a bag of trash into the dumpster, then turned and walked away. A moment later, I heard the dumpster lid open again, and turned to see something crawl out. turns out i ruined a raccoon's evening
Probably just woke a perfectly happy racco- Oh i see it now.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:04:48 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75216 on: April 28, 2015, 08:35:48 am »

WTF of the day : I am now a registered Greenpeace member.
I signed in. I actually did something, and even more exceptional, something good :)

I think I'll even go to the nearby antenna to see how I can help ._.
Oh hey, me too! *high-five*
Not that I really do anything to help apart from giving them occasional bits of money.

Greenpeace are the guys that went to the Nazca lines and damaged them.
I'm still confused as to why people get so upset over that. Weird.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75218 on: April 28, 2015, 08:47:28 am »

Would this be the reason behind the supposed discontinuation of the new Silent Hill game?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75219 on: April 28, 2015, 08:49:19 am »

Greenpeace are the guys that went to the Nazca lines and damaged them.
I'm still confused as to why people get so upset over that. Weird.
People like having things that are thousands of years old undamaged. They're in short supply.

Imagine if only a couple hundred computers existed and no more, for whatever reason, could be manufactured. They were shared among the population. You'd be pretty pissed if before you got to use a computer, someone shoved Securom on it, or gave the hard drive a good kick.
Now you're just reminding me of that South Park episode. :P
Regardless, the things Green Peace were trying to fight for (admittedly in a rather ineffectual way) in that incident were rather more important.

Would this be the reason behind the supposed discontinuation of the new Silent Hill game?
Huh, I thought PT was being taken down just because it's a trailer, and the full game isn't too far away?
Bear in mind I've read nothing about this apart from the title of a post on Reddit.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75220 on: April 28, 2015, 08:51:20 am »

They had 40 years of not fucking up and then one sect of them somewhere fucked up.
We shouldn't demonize them for it.

We should, however, laugh and memorialize their embarrassment.

In fact all bad things in the world should be remembered with a humiliating laugh.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75221 on: April 28, 2015, 08:54:54 am »

Well, its not that the project is actualy going under, its just that the project wont have the likeness of the PT demo anymore, and wont have Del Toro's collaboration or that one actor featuring in it anymore. Nobody really knows much about it, but the game is probably still comming, just not as people expected, probably :v

And the supposed parting between Konami and Kojima is still quite nebulous. Nobody knows for sure if its just Konami using Kojima in some sort of publicity stunt, but thats not very likely since all of these news have some significant consequences in the stock market.

And yes, Greenpeace is quite hamfisted and extremist in the way it acts about... Pretty much anything? Many of its members face conviction in multiple countries for terribly dumb things like defacing public property and possibly damaging the fucking nasca lines. Its a good cause with really idiotic people working on it.

Someone once said the path to hell is paved with good intentions.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:57:16 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #75222 on: April 28, 2015, 09:02:50 am »

5th edition of D&D appears to be dead. There are no splatbooks, not even in project. This can't be good.

No, it is good. That's a deliberate design decision they made. The idea is that the player's handbook is all you need now. Older editions especially 2nd Ed got to the point where you needed dozens of rulebooks to join a game, depending on what everyone else was using. The goal of 5th Ed is to increase eye contact and talking/role-playing, and reduce the amount of leafing through a pile of rulebooks to determine things, but also to avoid the arms-race of optional rulebooks, which can make it very daunting and expensive for new players to play with established players.

It's paid off with chart-topping sales, which is especially noteworthy given that the game is competing with video games. You just need one book now, and can join any regular game. All new optional rules are contained in modules, and they have a deliberate policy of only including what's needed to make that specific module work in a story sense. So, really, only the DM needs to buy the new supplements. That seems to be the goal.

http://www.examiner.com/article/5e-d-d-player-s-handbook-tops-amazon-sales-lists

Remember, that 2nd Ed AD&D sent TSR broke and saw them being bought up by a competitor. More optional books did not equal more profits.

Actually, from what i understand, Gary Gygax left TSR after he found out that the execs he left in charge bought some 20 cars on the compant dime. It was hubris and stupidity.

TSR's failures had many causes - much of the 2nd edition stuff wasn't playtested because Lorraine Williams (a financial planner that wound up with a majority share after the executives who Gygax had purged for incompetence (their attempts to diversify led to massive debts for little gain - most of their acquisitions were moneylosers) sold their stock to her in retaliation, and Gygax sold his stock to her after his attempts to have the execs sale ruled illegal failed - he decided to get what he could from the company he felt to be doomed and use the cash to found another one) refused to tolerate what she saw as "lazy gamers screwing around on company time", as she held all gamers in contempt. Williams also pushed Buck Rogers material heavily at the expense of product lines with greater market appeal (such as the then-new Forgotten Realms setting) because she owned Buck Rogers and thus collected all royalties on the license. A further problem was their attempts to sell large amounts of product (particularly the collectible dice game Dragon Dice) through conventional bookstores instead of gaming shops - another product of Williams's anti-game bias - which proved unwise as most of their key audience didn't shop there. The bookstores returned unsold product totalling several million dollars which TSR simply couldn't afford despite the flagship D&D line (which was in something of a creative golden age - Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Al Quadim, Spelljammer, and Planescape all date to this period) making money hand-over-fist, due to a combination of the debts from the previous executives and the failure of many of the other product lines.

Regarding Konami, Silent Hills has been officially cancelled.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75223 on: April 28, 2015, 09:18:19 am »

Yeah, there has been some bad stuff with Greenpeace, but most of their actions (and specifically their smaller scale ones) are good.

Second WTF of the day : d&d "debates" taking pages when it could be summed up as "they're different and each has its advantages".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75224 on: April 28, 2015, 09:24:19 am »

Pages: 1 ... 5013 5014 [5015] 5016 5017 ... 11037