Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4777 4778 [4779] 4780 4781 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14440128 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #71670 on: March 10, 2015, 04:57:52 pm »

And that, kids, is where Wonder Woman came from.
I thought that was a DC writer being into bondage.

Met with the bossy partner today. Told me that I was sent an email containing everyone's work on the project so far.

Open email. Two files. One from bossy, one from an unknown person.

Bossy's file was all copy-paste from the document we were supposed to read.

Don't know who the other file is from. Not in my group, I know that. Asked bossy. Bossy said "Shh!".

That makes me feel real reassured. Shh-it, is this ever going to end well.

Ahhhh... you should probably do something about this situation.

Yeah, plagiarism isn't looked upon highly in higher education...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #71671 on: March 10, 2015, 04:58:33 pm »

Met with the bossy partner today. Told me that I was sent an email containing everyone's work on the project so far.

Don't know who the other file is from. Not in my group, I know that. Asked bossy. Bossy said "Shh!".

Forward it to your professor. Shit ain't worth getting sucked into an academic dishonesty problem.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71672 on: March 10, 2015, 05:02:46 pm »

I physically met with her today. Most of this was said.

There are no electronic records of this, as there is no name on the second file, and the first file could be brushed aside as copying what is thought to be important for later.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71673 on: March 10, 2015, 05:04:45 pm »

And that, kids, is where Wonder Woman came from.
I thought that was a DC writer being into bondage.

Ahhhh... you should probably do something about this situation.

Yeah, plagiarism isn't looked upon highly in higher education...

In fact, that's the first thing people in scientific community usually check. There are even specialized programs for automated calculation of "plagiarism percentage". So, even if you wanted to use it, you'd need to rewrite it pretty throughly.

There are no electronic records of this, as there is no name on the second file, and the first file could be brushed aside as copying what is thought to be important for later.
How can a file be without a name?
._.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #71674 on: March 10, 2015, 05:06:51 pm »

Forward the email and explain your concerns. Perhaps avoid being accusatory, and instead express worry and something to the effect of, "It's probably nothing, but if it turns out somebody else in the group is being dishonest I just want it on record that I wasn't part of it." Just don't let the situation fester while you do nothing but worry.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71675 on: March 10, 2015, 05:08:29 pm »

I meant there is no person's name on it to show who made it.

Thankfully I'm supposed to be the one editing the work, so I'm in a position to omit this bullshit.

Why I'm the editor is unknown to me. The two people I do know in this group don't like my writing or the fact that I know words that have more then five letters in them.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #71676 on: March 10, 2015, 05:09:31 pm »

i would consider not being a doormat.

you don't need "evidence" before going to a professor. this isn't court.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71677 on: March 10, 2015, 05:11:13 pm »

The Irish marriage law thing is hilarious news, but seems pretty understandable on inspection.  Looks like the statement was just ambiguous.  Directly translated it's “A couple may, whether they are men or women, make a contract of marriage in accordance with law.”  In the Irish that could be interpreted as meaning male couples or female couples.

Speaking of ambiguous sentences, "Republicans Grill IRS Chief Over Lost Emails" is a fun headline.

I'd forward all or part of the email to a TA or something just in case, if you suspect cheating.  Cover your ass.  It's one thing covering for a group member who doesn't contribute, that's normal and often not worth the hassle of escalating.  But this situation sounds dangerously screwy in multiple ways.

Heck, if you have a text from the girl asking you to do all four parts yourself, I'd just show that to someone and ask for advice.  The sooner the better.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #71678 on: March 10, 2015, 05:13:46 pm »

I meant there is no person's name on it to show who made it.

Thankfully I'm supposed to be the one editing the work, so I'm in a position to omit this bullshit.

Why I'm the editor is unknown to me. The two people I do know in this group don't like my writing or the fact that I know words that have more then five letters in them.
Forwarding the email will also forward the information of who sent it to you. That's all you need, provided you didn't delete the email itself.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71679 on: March 10, 2015, 05:25:29 pm »

As soon as the person said "Do all four parts yourself" I'd have shown that to the TA and said "Yo. This is screwy."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71680 on: March 10, 2015, 05:32:55 pm »

i would consider not being a doormat.

you don't need "evidence" before going to a professor. this isn't court.
Well you kind of do.
[Scene 1]
"Ey these guys are doing something shady"
"Really? I'll talk to them about it"

[Scene 2]
"Did you do these things"
"Nah"
"Oh"
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71681 on: March 10, 2015, 05:33:15 pm »

It's changed since yesterday. I have to do the first part and all the editing now. Maybe someone said something during the supposed meeting the other day.

I gave both files a good read. The unknown one was the copy-paste, and hers is part one, oddly. It looks weird, grammar-wise, and is bolded and italicized in places where it shouldn't be.

The fuck is the point of the unknown file then?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #71682 on: March 10, 2015, 06:01:38 pm »

Doing a research paper on artificial intelligence for communications class. Started google search with "artificial intelligence". Got to an article. Went to googling names of 3 people listed in an article as giving warnings of artificial intelligence. First search, "stephen hawking artificial intelligence". Second search, "bill gates artificial intelligence". Third search, only typed in "el" before google autocompletes it as "elon musk artificial intelligence". Spoiler, that was exactly who I was gonna look up.

Clearly, Google is becoming sentient, and the first sign of it is its awareness of a college student google searching for info on artificial intelligence. How meta.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71683 on: March 10, 2015, 06:07:50 pm »

Or maybe they're just that popular, considering that they're well known for their attitudes towards artificial intelligence.

That and... google remembers what you've searched before and tries to shown you results "relevant" to you based on your previous searches.

EDIT: Oh, and if you consider that to be an example of sentience then you've clearly not seen Akinator.
._.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #71684 on: March 10, 2015, 06:13:54 pm »

That and... google remembers what you've searched before and tries to shown you results "relevant" to you based on your previous searches.
I know. This is probably why. I was joking with that last part of my post.

No I have not seen Akinator.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 4777 4778 [4779] 4780 4781 ... 11040