Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4724 4725 [4726] 4727 4728 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443254 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #70875 on: February 27, 2015, 03:27:44 pm »

Actually, this sort of answers an age old question I had. Is it possible that what I see as blue the same as what you see as blue? And the answer is, it's very possible, because brains be wack, yo!

My internal monologues are also a bit strange.

You mean the fact that Mr Burns hair is blue?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70876 on: February 27, 2015, 03:30:50 pm »

All colors appear the same to people without vision disorders because "color" is a light wavelength that is measurable and quantifiable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #70877 on: February 27, 2015, 03:34:50 pm »

I wasn't around when the forum got hit, but I would imagine my reaction would be "meh" as well.

It's partly a WTF and a sad how early I lost my innocence.Maybe that's why I'm a sexual deviant, too. (No, I don't mean being gay. I mean being really horny.)
That's a condition generally referred to as "baseline humanity". Most people are extraordinarily horny in their teens and early twenties. Not all, of course, but a substantial majority.
Well, I guess in my environment, people my age are usually not very horny because they play sports, and New Zealanders are weirdly charismatic with the opposite sex so I guess they would be getting enough without having to resort to experimentation.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #70878 on: February 27, 2015, 03:39:17 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:22:21 am by penguinofhonor »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70879 on: February 27, 2015, 03:50:17 pm »

All colors appear the same to people without vision disorders because "color" is a light wavelength that is measurable and quantifiable.
A combination of yellow and blue colors can appear as a green color to you, even though there's no actual "green wavelength" in it.
You don't actually observe any wavelengths when you're looking at something. You can only observe the excitations of various light-sensitive cells in your eyes, and then you can try to extrapolate that "if those group of cells excitate in this way, then it must be that color" - and different people extrapolate in a different way.

._.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #70880 on: February 27, 2015, 03:51:36 pm »

Aaargh. That frickin' dress. It was the only thing people at my school talked about from first period to ninth. Heck, googling "dress" blots out the Wikipedia article for "dress" with results for the thing.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70881 on: February 27, 2015, 03:54:18 pm »

But the way our brain interprets each color is arbitrary, and I don't think we've discovered the mechanism that determines that.
It isn't arbitrary, human biology is mostly consistent. Human genetic data is ~90% identical between all people. There is no reason to dive into this unknowable philosophical hair-spliting about ultimate perception.
A combination of yellow and blue colors can appear as a green color to you, even though there's no actual "green wavelength" in it.
You don't actually observe any wavelengths when you're looking at something. You can only observe the excitations of various light-sensitive cells in your eyes, and then you can try to extrapolate that "if those group of cells excitate in this way, then it must be that color" - and different people extrapolate in a different way.
It's functionally the same. Even if the light-sensing cells are being tricked by changes and contamination of light wavelength, they are still arriving at one of a given set of conclusions when informing you of something's color.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70882 on: February 27, 2015, 04:00:57 pm »

But the way our brain interprets each color is arbitrary, and I don't think we've discovered the mechanism that determines that.
It isn't arbitrary, human biology is mostly consistent. Human genetic data is ~90% identical between all people. There is no reason to dive into this unknowable philosophical hair-spliting about ultimate perception.
It's functionally the same. Even if the light-sensing cells are being tricked by changes and contamination of light wavelength, they are still arriving at one of a given set of conclusions when informing you of something's color.
And these sets of conclusions can be wrong, as seen by how more than half the people on the Internet identify the colors of the dress as white and gold.

And I find it funny how you try to evade the question of "what perception actually is" by assuming that half the people on the Internet are color blind.
._.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70883 on: February 27, 2015, 04:03:41 pm »

Okay, color is a cultural convention. I know because my language, and, by extension, culture treats "blue" and "light blue" as two distinct colors. If a person in whose language the color blue is absent observed the damn dress, he might as well have declared it green. Or something. There is no universally accepted down-to-the-wavelength definition of "blue", because such a definition cannot exist. Because "blue" is not an universal concept. If for certain scientific applications "blue" has wavelenghts between x and y, that doesn't mean that applies to all other areas of life.

Quite another thing is that between individuals with the same color paradigm (as in this case) observed color is usually the same. But color is by no means universal.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70884 on: February 27, 2015, 04:06:10 pm »

This isn't about the fucking dress, jesus christ. The dress is just an egregious example of a famous optical illusion. The direction and angle you look at the picture from messes up your light compensation process and can cause it to appear white-gold. The blue gets washed out and the black becomes light reflective.

The dress is blue-black, for the record. Actually and factually, and if it were seen in a better photo this wouldn't have happened.
No Gods, No Masters.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70885 on: February 27, 2015, 04:13:37 pm »

The dress is blue-black, for the record. Actually and factually, and if it were seen in a better photo this wouldn't have happened.
For you, perhaps. For me it's goluboe - black, quite independently of lighting. Wavelengths are factual. Assigning names to wavelength bands is relative.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70886 on: February 27, 2015, 04:14:56 pm »

Even one of Zicit's posts on Kong was three words.

"Blue and Black"- Zicit.

I wonder what he's talking about.....

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #70887 on: February 27, 2015, 04:17:18 pm »

Mormons came by unexpectedly in ~30 degree weather to spread the word of mormon stuff. Me being me, caught in an unexpected situation requiring me to talk to people, it was an awkward couple minutes before I shooed them off. Ugh. Probably could've handled that better.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70888 on: February 27, 2015, 04:23:49 pm »

Mormons came by unexpectedly in ~30 degree weather to spread the word of mormon stuff. Me being me, caught in an unexpected situation requiring me to talk to people, it was an awkward couple minutes before I shooed them off. Ugh. Probably could've handled that better.
It get's better in time with practice. In fact yesterday, I shooed away someone asking if I'd "locked in my hydro rates blah blah wakka wakka" in about 10 seconds flat. "nope, sorry, don't wanna discuss, bai" *door shut*.
Reminds me of the time my poor brother got stuck talking to the Jehova's witnesses for approx. 30 minutes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #70889 on: February 27, 2015, 04:37:29 pm »

Even one of Zicit's posts on Kong was three words.

"Blue and Black"- Zicit.

I wonder what he's talking about.....
Really? That's... that's actually kind of impressive. It's one of the funnier things I've heard today, because that poster saying it implies it's as monstrous as the shock image spam. There's an interesting juxtaposition - one of the best things about this day for me exists directly because of one of the worst.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 4724 4725 [4726] 4727 4728 ... 11040