Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3839 3840 [3841] 3842 3843 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449224 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #57600 on: September 03, 2014, 11:44:08 am »

it'll blow over by the end of november, if not sooner

use this as an excuse to learn how to use irc-based distribution

is what i would tell someone who does not buy all the bluray dvds, especially these which are not shipped overseas, like a true supporter of the industry such as myself

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #57601 on: September 03, 2014, 11:44:47 am »

Naked mole rats are basically mammalian ants. What.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57602 on: September 03, 2014, 11:45:40 am »

Does anybody know what the rumours about Anime Fansub sites being attacked are all about?

Heavy sustained DDOS attacks on nyaa.se, and maybe other sites. Apparently horriblesubs.info and others is hosted on the same server. I think nyaa was the target, and HS is collateral damage.

Not that it's affect me watching 40 new shows per season at all. shanaproject.com mirrors all the releases, and it is working fine, even for the sub groups that are "DDOS'd". I'm still getting all my shows downloaded via RSS. I haven't even had to click anything I don't normally click. So the anti-piracy attackers have taken down so websites but the infrastructure and RSS feeds are still working. Hooray for automation.

The real deal, is most of the airing shows suck ass. Out of ~30 new shows I've sampled this season, there are about 4-5 I'd call "watchable". The rest are dreck that Japanese people only even watch because it's on TV and they don't have to pay. That's the thing, they're freaking out that English speakers are watching stuff "for free" that Japanese people won't even pay for. Many of these shows, yeah, I'll watch them once to laugh at how bad they are. But actually buying a DVD/BD or keeping the show on my HD, even for free? No fucking way. There's where they massively overestimate the "cost" of piracy. Few people would ever buy these series on DVD. Probably even less if no-one could sample the shows first.

It kind of goes back to the old idea

If you want to fight Piracy the best way is TO MAKE A GOOD PRODUCT!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57603 on: September 03, 2014, 11:46:57 am »

Personally I'd prefer they just switch the "Fony" and "WacDonalds" to the actual company logos and get paid that way. Product placement, since they almost have that there now. They'd make more that way than trying to stomp out flames of people sharing files.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #57604 on: September 03, 2014, 11:47:37 am »

Naked mole rats are basically mammalian ants. What.
Which makes nekkid mole dogs giant ants.

Which means that they would populate the Dwarf Fortress version of the Mazes of Menace.

EDIT: Damn, I wanna do that now. Except I have no clue how I'd build a huge hole in the ground designed to kill adventurers, then make it a blossoming 'fortress' with an economy in kidnapping animals and putting them in cages (which are eventually all linked to a lone lever), with an artifact at the end of the dungeon.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:53:07 am by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57605 on: September 03, 2014, 11:49:35 am »

I mean it is NO surprise that the companies that are the most Anti-piracy are the ones making a lot of garbage.

Because Piracy hurts bad stuff the most because they can't get people to buy it because it looks "fine".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #57606 on: September 03, 2014, 11:50:09 am »

Personally I'd prefer they just switch the "Fony" and "WacDonalds" to the actual company logos and get paid that way. Product placement, since they almost have that there now. They'd make more that way than trying to stomp out flames of people sharing files.
Major Kusanagi finally puts on clothes, and it's a red and blue suit with PEPSI stamped all over it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57607 on: September 03, 2014, 11:53:45 am »

Admittedly it was overkill with Code Geass and Pizza Hut. I mean how do people take that show seriously when every 5 minutes that green haired girl is getting Pizza Hut deliveries, and they took a full episode out in each season to have a worlds biggest pizza contest at their school?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57608 on: September 03, 2014, 12:02:33 pm »

Admittedly it was overkill with Code Geass and Pizza Hut. I mean how do people take that show seriously when every 5 minutes that green haired girl is getting Pizza Hut deliveries, and they took a full episode out in each season to have a worlds biggest pizza contest at their school?

Oddly enough Pizza Hut would probably go out of business where I live if any other pizza place offered stuff crust.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57609 on: September 03, 2014, 12:06:20 pm »

you mean code pizza?

yeah that was a decent anime

hate how they padded out the series with some bullshit about rebellion though

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57610 on: September 03, 2014, 12:07:24 pm »

This pizza would put Pizza Hut out of business:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5udwntuV7c

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #57611 on: September 03, 2014, 12:08:07 pm »

Huh. I've been wondering why my Chrome chugs memory - I have 4 GB of RAM and I used up 75% of it just running Chrome, Steam client, and essentially nothing else.

Turns out that there's some memory leak or whatever that causes tabs that had been open for a long time - and since I rarely turn off my computer because hey, laptop - to hoard memory. In my case, it was in fact General Discussion, at over 400 000 KB.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #57612 on: September 03, 2014, 12:12:23 pm »

Huh. I've been wondering why my Chrome chugs memory - I have 4 GB of RAM and I used up 75% of it just running Chrome, Steam client, and essentially nothing else.

Turns out that there's some memory leak or whatever that causes tabs that had been open for a long time - and since I rarely turn off my computer because hey, laptop - to hoard memory. In my case, it was in fact General Discussion, at over 400 000 KB.
That explains why I barely remember anything after I use the forum.

:P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #57613 on: September 03, 2014, 12:13:17 pm »

To consider closing General Discussion is thoughtcrime. Please report yourself to the nearest official. The RAM must flow.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57614 on: September 03, 2014, 12:15:23 pm »

So what you're saying is, Bay12 has become sentient, and is harvesting users RAM to keep itself running?
Pages: 1 ... 3839 3840 [3841] 3842 3843 ... 11040