Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2838 2839 [2840] 2841 2842 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14468338 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #42585 on: January 11, 2014, 01:14:27 pm »

What Lordslowpoke said. It's reactionary bullshit against the 'humans are weak/average' thing. Which is what makes it mind-numbingly stupid. Because it doesn't solve the problem, just makes new ones.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42586 on: January 11, 2014, 01:20:34 pm »

It's not all about that. One of the better ideas is "what traits do humans have that might be overpowered or rare compared to the universal norms of sapient life"? Since we don't have any way of knowing that it's all speculation, but there is most likely something exceptional about humanity.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42587 on: January 11, 2014, 01:26:51 pm »

Most of the Humanity Fuck Yeah stuff I've seen leans towards that something being 'everything'. :/

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #42588 on: January 11, 2014, 01:28:39 pm »

Meh. Still seems like a viable story/plot/setting/whatever idea to me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42589 on: January 11, 2014, 01:47:42 pm »

Well based on current data we're the most awesome thing in existence. That could change as we explore the universe, but hey.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #42590 on: January 11, 2014, 02:07:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42591 on: January 11, 2014, 02:08:31 pm »

Today, I learned that not only does D&D's size progression work better for... portions of the anatomy... than for the creatures they're attached to, I also learned that the relevant part of a blue whale, if you needed to stat it individually, would probably be Medium with Powerful Build. How could this happen?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #42592 on: January 11, 2014, 02:24:17 pm »

I'd like to see you try to... use your portion of anatomy while in midwater and without any arms or legs. :P

However if it's proportionate to body size, then barnacles's portions of anatomy rule the universe.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42593 on: January 11, 2014, 02:39:15 pm »

What I want to know is how on earth did you even figure that out in the first place @Bauglir
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42594 on: January 11, 2014, 03:15:34 pm »

Well, somebody on /tg/ posted a list of hypothesized sizes, which turned out to scale by the same factors as the canonical overall size categories (that is, each time you go up or down a size category, your dimensions go up or down by a factor of 2). Just to check, I then looked up a blue whale's relevant size, and it was actually exactly perfect (while a blue whale is actually much too large to be Colossal by their guidelines). 8 feet, incidentally, is about right for a Medium creature with Powerful Build, or the very small end of Large.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #42595 on: January 11, 2014, 03:35:55 pm »

What Lordslowpoke said. It's reactionary bullshit against the 'humans are weak/average' thing. Which is what makes it mind-numbingly stupid. Because it doesn't solve the problem, just makes new ones.

'Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions.'
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42596 on: January 11, 2014, 03:51:58 pm »

Most of the Humanity Fuck Yeah stuff I've seen leans towards that something being 'everything'. :/
Most of the HFY stuff I've seen published leans towards that something being "We're really, really good at killing things.".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #42597 on: January 11, 2014, 04:06:08 pm »

"Humanity Fuck Yeah"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42598 on: January 11, 2014, 04:19:28 pm »

Most of the HFY stuff I've seen published leans towards that something being "We're really, really good at killing things.".
Well, to be fair, we have encountered exactly zero forms of life that we can't kill efficiently.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #42599 on: January 11, 2014, 04:21:19 pm »

Well, to be fair, we have encountered exactly zero forms of life that we can't kill efficiently.
That's only true if you believe the NWO propaganda that the SCP Foundation is actually fictional.
Pages: 1 ... 2838 2839 [2840] 2841 2842 ... 11037