Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2768 2769 [2770] 2771 2772 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474905 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #41535 on: December 19, 2013, 09:14:43 pm »

I only think this could be a bad thing since they have the guts to fire someone for making bigoted homophobic comments.

By firing him, they may sink their own ship, so the progressive (ish?) station might go down due to being progressive.

If they stayed afloat by not firing him, they'd of lost all my respect....

Dilemma!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41536 on: December 19, 2013, 09:16:25 pm »

I don't like TV anymore, so I don't care.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41537 on: December 19, 2013, 09:26:58 pm »

I've been skimming the interview, and it seems to me that it's supposed to be about this guy than about the show. Then again, it is a reality show, so that line gets awful blurry. That said, he didn't seem to be speaking on behalf of the network, the show's producers, or any of that. Given that that's the case, I'm not really sure he ought to have been fired over it. I'd say he should watch what he says more carefully, but that's purely practical advice, akin to advising people not to walk down the wrong alleys lest they be mugged. Obviously, I disagree with what he said, but in the context of his own beliefs and feelings, I'd rather he be an honest bigot than a liar. At least you can engage the former.

I'm really leery of tying a person's employment to their actions off the job - this comes off as a higher-profile equivalent of firing a teacher for being photographed drunk or something. I know that being on a reality show makes your personality a kind of inextricable mascot for the show itself, but I'm afraid I have to endorse the bigot here.

Not that I think the network ought to be legally required to keep him on the air. Provided they're still paying him in accordance with their contract as if he were not suspended, they're meeting the major obligation of an employer, and they generally shouldn't be obligated to broadcast material they don't want to.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #41538 on: December 20, 2013, 01:09:23 am »

I found out about Sword of Truth.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41539 on: December 20, 2013, 01:29:44 am »

What is this I don't even

EDIT:

Oh god why am I so lucky?
Cardiac arrest in 3... 2...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41540 on: December 20, 2013, 02:37:00 am »

Now now, pacifist hippies were only massacred once by the protagonists in the series as far as I know. And those hippies were "insufferably self-righteous" in their non-violent protest, so of course it was righteous to murder them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41541 on: December 20, 2013, 02:39:36 am »

Now now, pacifist hippies were only massacred once by the protagonists in the series as far as I know. And those hippies were "insufferably self-righteous" in their non-violent protest, so of course it was righteous to murder them.
Plus Richard's thing rising inside him.
And the food sex.
And the kicking a little girl in the face.
And the chicken that was not a chicken.
Sig! Onol

t. fortsorter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Most Sophisticated Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41542 on: December 20, 2013, 02:43:06 am »

And yet nobody has solved the mystery of who is the forty and fourth~
I believe that's not a matter the material spoken of is touching upon, yet wished to mention.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41543 on: December 20, 2013, 02:47:41 am »

And the food sex.
Personally it was the constant authorial soapboxing that did it for me. Purely as fiction those books are almost unreadable, and they manage to be even worse when you pay attention to the subtext. Sort of like Rand's... books. I'll be charitable and say that the Sword of Truth series does manage to be better than that, though, if barely.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41544 on: December 20, 2013, 02:48:57 am »

And the food sex.
Personally it was the constant authorial soapboxing that did it for me. Purely as fiction those books are almost unreadable, and they manage to be even worse when you pay attention to the subtext. Sort of like Rand's... books. I'll be charitable and say that the Sword of Truth series does manage to be better than that, though, if barely.
Like where the guy bans fire.
Sig! Onol

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #41545 on: December 20, 2013, 07:59:37 am »

And the food sex.

Hey. Be fair. Rand was completely overt with the fact that what she wrote was an Author Tract by design. Goodkind tries to pass the soapboxing in the subtext.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41546 on: December 20, 2013, 08:30:31 am »

>builds £2500 PC
>spends next six hours playing DF on it
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #41547 on: December 20, 2013, 08:57:34 am »

I just heard a version of 'Holy Night'. Performed on a Harley-Davidson engine.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41548 on: December 20, 2013, 09:02:21 am »

So technically this wasn't today, but..

After literally months of having to use a mouse for my laptop because the trackpad wasn't working, I somehow managed to press the obscure key combination of the function key and F7.

That key combination toggles input from the trackpad.
Black lives matter.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 2768 2769 [2770] 2771 2772 ... 11037