Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2641 2642 [2643] 2644 2645 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462414 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #39630 on: October 31, 2013, 10:52:41 pm »

Simple test: Get some tiny rare earth magnets and tape 'em to your fingers. Then do some light welding. If they don't pull the tape off, they certainly wouldn't be able to break through skin.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39631 on: October 31, 2013, 10:53:56 pm »

I'll wait 'til this becomes legal and goes past prototype state to use it, though.
Don't want any random bugs/glitches happening to something connected to my nerves/brain/body.
It is legal, in the sense that it is Not Illegal.

But have it your way. Just know that the only way to be on the cutting edge sometimes is to take risks.
Hrmm. Still, I'm unsure what the effects would be for welding, because of the large amounts of heat, electrical current, magnetic fields, and metal would do to the implants. I'd rather not rip them out of my fingers, thank you VERY much.
It would take a really strong magnetic field to tear it out of your fingers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39632 on: October 31, 2013, 10:55:58 pm »

I'll wait 'til this becomes legal and goes past prototype state to use it, though.
Don't want any random bugs/glitches happening to something connected to my nerves/brain/body.
It is legal, in the sense that it is Not Illegal.

But have it your way. Just know that the only way to be on the cutting edge sometimes is to take risks.
Hrmm. Still, I'm unsure what the effects would be for welding, because of the large amounts of heat, electrical current, magnetic fields, and metal would do to the implants. I'd rather not rip them out of my fingers, thank you VERY much.
It would take a really strong magnetic field to tear it out of your fingers.
How strong we talking here? MRI strength? Industrial electromagnet (the kind used to sort out ferrous scrap at junkyards) strength? Particle accelerator strength?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39633 on: October 31, 2013, 11:04:09 pm »

How strong we talking here? MRI strength? Industrial electromagnet (the kind used to sort out ferrous scrap at junkyards) strength? Particle accelerator strength?
Enough to rip a tiny bit of magnetic material through your dermis. I don't know how much that is, but I haven't seen any "My neodymium implant came flying out of me today" posts for all the ones celebrating getting them, so logic dictates it is probably uncommonly strong.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39634 on: October 31, 2013, 11:05:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Flesh is much tougher than most people give it credit for. I'd imagine very little short of a strong industrial electromagnet would realistically be enough to tear them from your fingers. But I'm not exactly an expert.

This is an interesting question. We you should ask the experts.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39635 on: October 31, 2013, 11:05:54 pm »

Keep in mind that skin (read: pre-leather) is pretty resilient to blunt force, which is what the pull would be. Of course, even without tearing skin, a pull from inside the fingertip could get pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly.
also
his moist amphibian skin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39636 on: October 31, 2013, 11:09:22 pm »

Keep in mind that skin (read: pre-leather) is pretty resilient to blunt force, which is what the pull would be. Of course, even without tearing skin, a pull from inside the fingertip could get pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly.
Which would likely indicate to the person with the implant that the time has come to quickly retreat rather than approach the source of the magnetism.

Also, on re:all my electronics will be ruined, I don't think this is very much more neodymium than what they put in earbuds and the like. If they can't destroy your devices, this probably won't either.
No Gods, No Masters.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39637 on: October 31, 2013, 11:23:04 pm »

Which would likely indicate to the person with the implant that the time has come to quickly retreat rather than approach the source of the magnetism.
Yup; just thinking about the MRI situation. From Wikipedia:
Ferromagnetic foreign bodies such as shell fragments, or metallic implants such as surgical prostheses and ferromagnetic aneurysm clips are also potential risks. Interaction of the magnetic and radio frequency fields with such objects can lead to trauma due to movement of the object in the magnetic field or thermal injury from radio-frequency induction heating of the object.[82]
So rather than getting torn out, you'd hafta be more worried about internal hemorrhaging and/or internal burns. The hemorrhaging would also be possible with things like Sirus' junkyard industrial electromagnets. So if your job involves lots of frickin' huge magnets, maybe think twice. Smaller ones should be fine.

Damn, but I do want these now.
also
his moist amphibian skin

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39638 on: October 31, 2013, 11:32:24 pm »

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:21:20 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #39639 on: October 31, 2013, 11:38:47 pm »

Yeah, the magnets + casing are said to be about the size of a grain of rice; not enough power there to really affect anything outside itself.

As for actually implanting: currently, no real doctor would get within a city block of such procedure. Having some unqualified schmuck doing it is illegal (not legally grey at all, solidly black; it's just that cops don't currently peep in every house looking for illegal surgeries), but for an actual doctor to do it, if anyone found out, they would immediately lose their licence and basically be blacklisted for life. Because that's what happens when a doctor performs an illegal surgery.

There's also the risk of the implant being rejected; which is generally accepted as part of the process which will happen a few years later.

Then there's the risk of nerve damage. It is, after all, back-alley surgery on a nerve-heavy part of the body in order to insert a foreign body whose purpose is to wiggle around against the nerves. This also ties in to rejection. When your body senses a foreign object inside itself, its first response is to quarantine it with a thick layer of tissue grown around it to isolate it from the body. This is why it's widely reported that the sensitivity drops off within a few months. Materials meant to trick the body into ignoring them are typically used to cover the magnets, like most implants, which negates the process for the most part. Until these materials inevitably degrade, followed by quarantine and rejection. Or at least that's the impression I got from reading up about it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39640 on: October 31, 2013, 11:55:20 pm »

I'm not sure if I'd say it's solidly black on the legal side. The body modding community does things in similar scope all the time without facing legal consequences. It really just isn't well addressed by the law at all. And even if the letter of the law can be interpreted to make it completely illegal as such, if even the cops and courts don't do anything, or know how the law is, that makes it de facto legally grey anyway.

But yes, rejection is the big problem. This is why I really wish somebody would get on using a titanium casing, since it is notably biocompatable and wouldn't trigger as strong a response without keeping the magnet from doing its job.

All of this is why more official recognition is necessary. Studies, improvements, and actual doctors can enter the equation at that point. I'm still wondering if anybody would cough up a research grant for this. I bet some institution would.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:57:20 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39641 on: October 31, 2013, 11:59:57 pm »

The kickstarter comment earlier was for the research grant. Although, the amount of money needed would probably deter most people. Maybe if someone said "Hey, if we can raise half the funds ourselves, would you give us the other half as a grant?". I dunno. I don't have any experience involving research grants.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #39642 on: November 01, 2013, 02:12:11 am »

Reading a cooking thread, and suddenly a "recipe" for a corn starch sex toy. God dammit. Who thinks of these things?

EDIT: And no, it's not here.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 02:19:54 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39643 on: November 01, 2013, 04:15:28 am »

corn starch sex toy
What even would that be?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39644 on: November 01, 2013, 05:55:59 am »

the sort you insert things into if i am not mistaken. the kind of starch shenanigans required to make one that you insert into things is still beyond the average starch afficionado
Pages: 1 ... 2641 2642 [2643] 2644 2645 ... 11040