Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2612 2613 [2614] 2615 2616 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14465657 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #39195 on: October 25, 2013, 10:13:14 am »

So in other words more or less like any other relationship, except over a shorter span of time?

It's like being friends with someone from their birth right up to when they die. A bit like outliving your child.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #39196 on: October 25, 2013, 10:16:21 am »

... often just a handful of months, not years, and sometimes not even that if you acquire the pet pre-trained. Then it's a good decade, sometimes more (depends on breed and circumstance, of course), of pet-stuff of niceness. S'definitely sad to see them go, but being there and a part of a fair many years of happiness (if you're doing it right, anyway) and good living for another living thing is... worth it? I'd say.

I'd have at least a cat at the moment, if maintenance didn't cost as much as it did :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39197 on: October 25, 2013, 10:23:28 am »

When I was a boy, all of my pets were ex-strays, so when they died at least we were able to give them good deaths rather than out in the cold somewhere. That's a benefit I think.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39198 on: October 25, 2013, 10:23:39 am »

If my housing situation were different (i.e. they either allowed pets or didn't allow maintenance to enter when I'm not here), we would have at least two ferrets.

Sure, animals die, but let's put this another way. Is the fact that your pets will probably die before you do worth not having the years of companionship that you would otherwise have?

I've had several pets. They've all died and some were pretty painful, but I wouldn't give up that experience for anything.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39199 on: October 25, 2013, 10:25:20 am »

I mean, it's like... yeah, it sucks to have a pet die. But would your life have been better if you'd never had it?

On an unrelated note, cat names? The three of ours that I remember were Headcheese, Satan, and Mickey. A siamese and two tortoiseshells.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #39200 on: October 25, 2013, 10:27:15 am »

... the last cat that was actually mine I named You.

The last ones the family had was... Blimpy, Hinden, and Burg. All female. Think two of them are still kicking, actually. People who care for them leave them outside (next to a murderous road), but they've seemed to be doing pretty alright, last time I saw 'em.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:30:07 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39201 on: October 25, 2013, 10:28:01 am »

Something that makes me sad is that I never got to see my family's first dog before it died, cos we moved to Australia and had to leave him behind. He got left at my aunt's place and by the time we went back to England for a holiday she had given him to the K9 units or whatever they're called. That dog was utterly devoted to me when I was a baby - and I have no memories of him, just a feeling of safety around big black dogs.

Love you Paddy, wherever you are mate.

On an unrelated note, cat names? The three of ours that I remember were Headcheese, Satan, and Mickey. A siamese and two tortoiseshells.
My cat is named Khaleesi.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39202 on: October 25, 2013, 10:28:33 am »

cat names?
I'd go with communist dictators. You can try fascist dictators, but people will look at you funny.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #39203 on: October 25, 2013, 10:31:18 am »

I will never understand why people keep pets. Yeah, they're cute sometimes, but they are often horrible miscreants that have no self control or awareness, and on top of that, you have to clean it up when they shit or puke everywhere. At least kids grow up to the point of not having to worry about the disgusting stuff too often. I could not imagine putting a handful of years of work into training a creature to be just the way you want it and then watching it die of old age or some horrible disease.

Cats don't really need to be trained. I had a cat (still alive, but I moved for university and a couple of years of having a cat in, it turned out I'm allergic to cat fur - and it's a Persian) who was taken from the mother's house around 3 months old and the moment she decided it's a-crappin' time, she made a beeline for the litterbox, and that's pretty much all you want to teach a (female, at least) cat.

Plus, compare the time spent training the pet (a couple of months, maaaaaybe a year, tops) and the time spent training a child, and factor in that the former is much safer in terms of returns.

cat names?
I'd go with communist dictators. You can try fascist dictators, but people will look at you funny.

(I wonder how many people will get the joke).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39204 on: October 25, 2013, 10:33:21 am »

My fiancee wants at least one cat when we move. If she gets two, I'm going to name one Five.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #39205 on: October 25, 2013, 10:39:01 am »

My fiancee wants at least one cat when we move. If she gets two, I'm going to name one Five.

Name the other Ten. So that you'll be able to confuse people by saying that Five and Ten did something, leading them to think you have at least eight other cats.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39206 on: October 25, 2013, 10:42:12 am »

Name the other Ten. So that you'll be able to confuse people by saying that Five and Ten did something, leading them to think you have at least eight other cats.

Nothing quite so nefarious. Maybe I should name it Cat-5, to reduce confusion.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39207 on: October 25, 2013, 10:49:16 am »

Might as well upgrade to cat6 if you're going to go at it. Best to keep up with the current standards.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39208 on: October 25, 2013, 10:50:11 am »

using that name will cause someone to ask something along the lines of "it has five mewutrons, yes?" sooner or later.

it will be awkward and probably outweigh the positive qualities of the name you're willing to give your cat

consider this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39209 on: October 25, 2013, 11:08:17 am »

"It is better to love and lose than to have never loved at all."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 2612 2613 [2614] 2615 2616 ... 11037