Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2316 2317 [2318] 2319 2320 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449922 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #34755 on: July 11, 2013, 02:58:38 pm »

You know, for someone who doesn't curse I sure like a lot of songs with cursing in them.
I think its the exact opposite for me.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34756 on: July 11, 2013, 04:19:32 pm »

I guess my songs don't have a lot of cursing in them, though i don't care either way. I on the other hand say fuck every other word.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34757 on: July 11, 2013, 04:34:06 pm »

I fucking guess my fucking songs don't fucking have a fuckton of fucking cursing in them, though i don't fucking give a flying fuck.  I, on the other hand, say fuck every other fucking word.
FTFY

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34758 on: July 11, 2013, 04:39:10 pm »

I fucking guess my fucking songs don't fucking have a fuckton of fucking cursing in them, though i don't fucking give a flying fuck.  I, on the other hand, say fuck every other fucking word.
FTFY

I usually don't give a quart of shits if you can play your curses right. Nothing worse than some inexperienced asswipe throwing fucks around like it's a brothel and they just won the lottery, though. Gotta have class.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34759 on: July 11, 2013, 05:15:30 pm »

I usually don't give a quart of shits if you can play your curses right. Nothing worse than some inexperienced asswipe throwing fucks around like it's a brothel and they just won the lottery, though. Gotta have class.
He *did* say every other word, though.  I just took it at face value.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34760 on: July 11, 2013, 05:53:09 pm »

I have finally seen it and I am brimming with happiness

This was seen as a positive on a game

No "rogue like", "procedurally generated" stuff.

Finally people are actually catching onto the fact that carefully constructing your game gives you a carefully constructed game...

I like Roguelikes and I like Procedural generation, but it just doesn't beat genuine good design in many areas. Roguelikes have their place but right now it feels like the early days of 3d where everything needed to be 3d even to its own detriment.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:56:14 pm by Neonivek »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34761 on: July 11, 2013, 06:04:07 pm »

It depends what the game is. Were, say, Dwarf Fortress to have had a well-designed, but nontheless uniform game world every time it would have died a boring death by now.
On the other hand, First Person Shooters would be terrible with randomly generated maps, since there's a lot of rather precise things and psychological factors to consider.
Then again, they did say procedurally generated rather than randomly, so that leaves some vagueness.

And also I take issue with that in that it should never be a positiv for something to not have something. Instead it should just say what it does have (in this case I assume carefully prepared maps). Far more informative than saying what it doesn't.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:07:15 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34762 on: July 11, 2013, 06:05:26 pm »

-forgot how/if it is possible to delete repeat posts-
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34763 on: July 11, 2013, 06:07:23 pm »

Usually I jsut hit back and check if my post is in the thread or not. Avoids a good number of doubleposts.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #34764 on: July 11, 2013, 06:10:01 pm »

The forum, or is it Chrome?, always warns me when I try to double post.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34765 on: July 11, 2013, 06:15:34 pm »

I just found a book entitled "The Settlers of Catan" in my library.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34766 on: July 11, 2013, 06:16:31 pm »

That's cool.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34767 on: July 11, 2013, 06:17:49 pm »

It depends what the game is

No I agree Rogue-like elements have their place in the same way that 3d games eventually found their place even back when it was terrible! (for example Mario 64 uses the terrible 3d, but it actually looks nice there)

But the thing is... During the early days of 3d a lot of people thought the really ugly graphics looked good because it was new, it was a gimmick "OMG 3d!!!"

I am glad Roguelike procedural elements are finally leaving the gimmick phase so people cannot just insert it into their game and get a free pass because "Wow, this game can have millions of uninspired poorly thought out levels! Clearly this is an improvement over 10 very well constructed and thought out levels!"

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #34768 on: July 11, 2013, 07:55:17 pm »

What I found appealing in the whole "procedurally generating phase" was that it provided a believable source of replay value. If they manage to implement such a thing well, then it's good game design. If they shoehorn it in with no real thought of it beforehand then the game was designed bad, just like how a well thought and carefully constructed game could still be designed bad and as a result just be bad. just like all the games that could've worked well if they spent less time shoehorning in some multiplayer and more time improving the singleplayer experience.

For every awesome Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie there's tons of gawdawful platformers that control like squirrels and feature levels as enjoyable as a brick coated in sharp glass. Just like a bunch of game genres.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34769 on: July 11, 2013, 09:11:16 pm »

For every awesome Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie there's tons of gawdawful platformers that control like squirrels and feature levels as enjoyable as a brick coated in sharp glass. Just like a bunch of game genres

Yep but it took everyone realizing how terrible the 3d looked before things got better.

The same goes with Roguelikes. Until people realize that the pitfalls exist, the genre won't get better.
Pages: 1 ... 2316 2317 [2318] 2319 2320 ... 11040