Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1652 1653 [1654] 1655 1656 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14477199 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #24795 on: December 29, 2012, 08:35:26 pm »

If you do bad things to people because somebody told you they suck, it is still your fault.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24796 on: December 29, 2012, 08:57:40 pm »

If you do bad things to people because somebody told you they suck, it is still your fault.
Child soldiers who have been raised to believe the enemy isn't human?

I guess what is in question here is the choice to throw away your moral compass; the difference between someone innately amoral, those who've known nothing but amoral lives and those who have willingly become amoral.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24797 on: December 29, 2012, 09:30:17 pm »

I always ask why someone did something before making a moral judgement like that. The child soldier example is a good one of how indoctrination at a young age can really fuck someone up.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24798 on: December 29, 2012, 09:33:19 pm »

Cultural causes, there, relating to dehumanization and delusions of superiority.

If you're told that a certain class of people are of the same worth as animals enough, you might believe it.
One wonders, then, why these particular culture traits keep re-appearing in history, and are so rare as opposed to one that truly are pacifist.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24799 on: December 29, 2012, 09:43:58 pm »

Because they largely aren't, we just have a better memory when it comes to crappy things. We remember bad times easier than good times.

As for the reason they keep reappearing, well, because it's easier to get folks that have been trained like that to do shit you want them to. So folks wanting to get people to do things not in their best interest keeping utilizing the same methods.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24800 on: December 29, 2012, 10:02:52 pm »

Evil regimes like the Nazis are more common in history because it's easier to hate something you don't understand than love something you do.

Also, the people fal victim more easily to a big lie than a small one. Hitler said that, and even though he was one of the most vile and disgusting men to walk the earth, he did manage to convince a nation of good people to exterminate their own based on minor differences that never made a difference before.

If humanity was really violent at its core, our culture wouldn't look up to peaceful activists like Ghandi or Martin Luther King Jr. If humanity was really hateful at its core, we wouldn't look up to inspirational men like Abraham Lincoln and Hellen Keller. If humanity was really evil, we wouldn't have heroes.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #24801 on: December 29, 2012, 10:10:50 pm »

And if humanity was rational, we wouldn't have [Certain groups and persons].

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24802 on: December 29, 2012, 10:36:12 pm »

Aye. We're good, bad, evil, wonderful, all of the above.

Humanity is varied. That's just about the only generalization you can make about it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24803 on: December 29, 2012, 10:40:06 pm »

I just watched Fahrenheit 451 (1966).  Defug?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24804 on: December 29, 2012, 10:44:48 pm »

Humanity is varied. That's just about the only generalization you can make about it.
Ehng. Only generalization we can make about individuals. The numbers game involving our species as a whole is a somewhat different story. It's pretty easy to argue that we're inherently self-destructive on a species level scale*, ferex, and there's more stuff along those lines. Humanity actually is evil (and necessarily so, though it may have the capacity to at least mitigate that somewhat.) by the general concept of evil I work off of**, but individual humans generally aren't.

*Which isn't exactly saying much, really -- most species are when they're not held in check by something.
**Acts which reduce the chance of species survival while causing nothing but harm to the self or others. Good is that which increases the chance of species survival while causing no harm. Most things are somewhere in between the extremes of the scale. It's been a pretty effective heuristic, so far.
Ask not!
Ask!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24805 on: December 29, 2012, 10:46:01 pm »

I can, however, make assumptions regarding the majority of them. The majority, don't, care. Out of all things, the majority will not give a shit about any particular issue.

Evil regimes like the Nazis are more common in history because it's easier to hate something you don't understand than love something you do.

Also, the people fal victim more easily to a big lie than a small one. Hitler said that, and even though he was one of the most vile and disgusting men to walk the earth, he did manage to convince a nation of good people to exterminate their own based on minor differences that never made a difference before.

If humanity was really violent at its core, our culture wouldn't look up to peaceful activists like Ghandi or Martin Luther King Jr. If humanity was really hateful at its core, we wouldn't look up to inspirational men like Abraham Lincoln and Hellen Keller. If humanity was really evil, we wouldn't have heroes.
Anti-semtism wasn't new though. It is really old. Hence the 2000 years thing,

We look up to those things because we like thinking of ourselves as peaceful even while we worship the blood god. It fashoinable to do so. makes you feel good about yourself.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24806 on: December 29, 2012, 10:49:26 pm »

One of the few classic books I didn't dislike. It wasn't particularly good, but it wasn't "1984" bad.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24807 on: December 29, 2012, 10:57:50 pm »

One of the few classic books I didn't dislike. It wasn't particularly good, but it wasn't "1984" bad.

Now I have to read it.  The whole time I couldn't decide if it was deliciously silly or subversively malevolent.

Edit: towards the middle I decided the statement it was making was not political.  I'd watch it again.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:04:34 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24808 on: December 29, 2012, 11:02:39 pm »

What's bad about 1984?
It's written fine and it tells a story. That's pretty standard, as books go.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24809 on: December 29, 2012, 11:08:56 pm »

It's written fine and it tells a story. That's pretty standard, as books go.
I have seen some atrocities of literature that fit that heuristic.

Fanfiction, man, fanfiction. "Written fine" and "tells a story" leaves a lot of wiggle room to violate your soul with a writhing orgy of splintered broomsticks.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 1652 1653 [1654] 1655 1656 ... 11037