Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14438391 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #13185 on: July 31, 2012, 05:16:56 am »

Riddle me this:

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/230993-mists-of-asia/

Real racism/ethnocentrism, or a parody?
I kind of agree with him, actually. (Most) Asian mythology, culture and art do nothing for me (except for the food). Which isn't to say that it is worse and others are better, it's a matter of taste, and that is how I read his statement. I don't see where racism even comes in when it's specifically about history/culture.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13186 on: July 31, 2012, 05:26:44 am »

He quite specifically said some are worse and better (european culture being "10 times" better). He also called Chinese culture "shitty."

Being apathetic to some cultures is fine. It's often used as a thinly veiled excuse to attack different cultures, though. "Opinions" do not hide nor defend racism, ethnocentrism, or other nasty words like those.

And I'm still not convinced it's not a parody.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13187 on: July 31, 2012, 06:38:12 am »

I agree that themes based on unfamiliar cultures can be annoying. (Especially with swords)
I don't agree that everything not in Europe lacks culture. That's just stupid and Eurocentric.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13188 on: July 31, 2012, 06:53:54 am »

He quite specifically said some are worse and better (european culture being "10 times" better). He also called Chinese culture "shitty."
Nothing is objectively "better" than something else, unless you state what it is better for. Reading is as if he means it objectively is just taking it out of context. He never said shitty (the "cheap" refers to the word "theme"), and he said: European history is 10x more interesting (where "interesting" is also a subjective trait and can never be objective, therefore it can only be his opinion).

It's often used as a thinly veiled excuse to attack different cultures, though. "Opinions" do not hide nor defend racism, ethnocentrism, or other nasty words like those.
Reading too much into stuff is harming the cause more than anything, that is why I defend this post. I'm opposed to racism, but seeing racism everywhere is counterproductive. It's not a nice post, nor is it very productive and he uses a lot of "we" where he obviously means "me" (which is typical), but it's not racist. Euro/Ethnocentric, yes.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13189 on: July 31, 2012, 08:49:02 am »

I made a beautiful drawing of my dog's reaction to thunderstorms.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13190 on: July 31, 2012, 09:00:56 am »

SBAHJ-worthy.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13191 on: July 31, 2012, 09:15:14 am »

i dunno whats more horrible, the armless man in the house or the misspelling :P

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13192 on: July 31, 2012, 09:17:43 am »

i dunno whats more horrible, the armless man in the house or the misspelling :P

I'm going to say the fact that it still needs more jpeg artifacts.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13193 on: July 31, 2012, 09:21:56 am »

More .jpeg artifacting, or a badly-done .gif to exaggerate said artifacting?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13194 on: July 31, 2012, 09:34:58 am »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:43:20 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13195 on: July 31, 2012, 11:43:54 am »

Huh. I was leaving the library the other day, and as I was passing by this middle-aged couple who were talking, the guy starts talking to me about my shirt(a Super Bowl XLII shirt) and how great a game it was(I honestly don't even remember the game). Meanwhile, this girl is telling about how her man beats her, including trying to show him a bruise where she was hit by a phone.

Dude, priorities.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13196 on: July 31, 2012, 01:32:57 pm »

Reporting a moderator. Always a good plan.
*Hugs*

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13197 on: July 31, 2012, 01:36:53 pm »

Huh. I was leaving the library the other day, and as I was passing by this middle-aged couple who were talking, the guy starts talking to me about my shirt(a Super Bowl XLII shirt) and how great a game it was(I honestly don't even remember the game). Meanwhile, this girl is telling about how her man beats her, including trying to show him a bruise where she was hit by a phone.

Dude, priorities.
That game was freaking terrible until the fourth quarter. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13198 on: July 31, 2012, 01:45:41 pm »

Dude, priorities.
That game was freaking terrible until the fourth quarter. :P
Yeah. Hell of a finish, though.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #13199 on: July 31, 2012, 02:01:39 pm »

Reporting a moderator. Always a good plan.
Nothing wrong with reporting a moderator. Unless, as in this case, it's wrongly.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:03:45 pm by Simmura McCrea »
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 11040