Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446718 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #3255 on: December 06, 2011, 03:09:16 pm »

One of the popes actually issued a statement a while back in support of pokemon

Which should really just prove that this is a stupid vocal minority thing and should be weighed as such.

I mean it's kind of hard to be more Christian than the freaking POPE.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: December 06, 2011, 03:10:57 pm »

Any bets as to how long before it comes out that he made "unwanted advances" towards Pikachu?

Since we're on Pokemon-related WTF (and because I had to Wiki search it because I know next to nothing about Pokemon other than Pikachu):

Pokémon has been criticized by some Christians, and Jews. Christian concerns over Pokémon have primarily addressed perceived occult and violent themes and the concept of "Pokémon evolution" (although evolution in Pokémon is more akin to metamorphosis, the ChildCare Action Project related it to the theory of evolution), which they claim goes against the Biblical creation account in Genesis, which the majority of Japanese, not adhering to Christianity, do not believe in. The Vatican, however, has countered that the Pokémon trading card game and video games are "full of inventive imagination" and have no "harmful moral side effects". In the United Kingdom, the "Christian Power Cards" game was introduced in 1999 by David Tate who stated, "Some people aren't happy with Pokémon and want an alternative, others just want Christian games." The game was similar to the Pokémon TCG but used Biblical figures.

A. You're complaining that a universe of cartoon monsters isn't "Biblically accurate" because they power up and change forms? ARE YOU FUCKING WITH ME? SRSLY?
B. The Pope is down with Pokemon.  ???
C. "similar to Pokemon TCG but used Biblical figures." Am I the only one who sees hilarious unintended consequences from pitting Biblical heroes against each other? I found a BBC snippet about them:

[The Archangel]Gabriel would win on strength and faith, scoring 100 in both, but lose to Jonah on flaws and number of times mentioned in the Bible, nought and four compared to Jonah's 65 and 18.

OMGZ Jonah OP!  :P

In 1999, Nintendo stopped manufacturing the Japanese version of the "Koga's Ninja Trick" trading card because it depicted a manji, a traditionally Buddhist symbol with no negative connotations. The Jewish civil rights group Anti-Defamation League complained because the symbol is the reverse of a swastika, which is considered offensive to Jewish people. The cards were intended for sale in Japan, but the popularity of Pokémon led to importation in to the United States with approval from Nintendo. The Anti-Defamation League understood that the issue symbol was not intended to offend and acknowledged the sensitivity that Nintendo showed by removing the product.

ADL got a card pulled because of a reverse swastika. What, were they inundated with complaints from dyslexic Jews?

Religious groups that complain about this are usually the fundamentalist sects. Catholicism believes in evolution,  since we take the view that the Bible is not 100% true, and is mainly myth. Yes, I'm Catholic. No biggie though, I'm not mad.

Also, about the Swastika thing: IIRC, Hitler took it directly form Buddhism and then swung it around, claiming it as his own. Honestly, it's almost impossible to differentiate between these two symbols without looking directly at two of them simultaneously. Many Buddhist sects willingly do not use the symbol anymore, at least publicly.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:16:40 pm by Pray_for_Snow »
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: December 06, 2011, 03:15:15 pm »

Which should really just prove that this is a stupid vocal minority thing and should be weighed as such.

Or Protestants just take it as a confirmation that it IS the spawn of the devil
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: December 06, 2011, 03:20:19 pm »

I think the issue here is mainly with the fundamentalists; they take the Bible quite literally and then screw things up trying to emulate it. I'm not against religion, I don't need it myself, but I'm aware that many people do. It's trying to force it on everyone else I don't get, especially the ones preaching peace and tolerance.

"We'll tolerate you, so long as you do what we say whenever we want and do exactly like we do." ::)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3259 on: December 06, 2011, 03:23:20 pm »

The subtle knife (Golden Compass sequel) was supposedly cancelled because Catholics said it made them look evil, after the movie was bought out by MURRICA.

I don't even...

I think the issue here is mainly with the fundamentalists; they take the Bible quite literally and then screw things up trying to emulate it. I'm not against religion, I don't need it myself, but I'm aware that many people do. It's trying to force it on everyone else I don't get, especially the ones preaching peace and tolerance.

"We'll tolerate you, so long as you do what we say whenever we want and do exactly like we do." ::)

I'm not hear to rant about religion, but Christians who took the bible literally screwed humanity over big time. Plus, it would make an awesome story book if the above same thing never happened D:
I mean, it's got genocide, mad overseers, fish eating people alive - It's like DF but with more hymns.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: December 06, 2011, 03:24:49 pm »

Well that was kinda part of my initial point. The Pope is fine with Pokemon. That the Pope even knows what Pokemon is is odd enough, but to then issue a statement of support is even more boggle (just because I expect the Vatican to be that grumpy old man that doesn't know what it is these kids are up to but it must be no good...)

I'm pretty sure the "Christian Power Cards" guy is some flavor of Protestant. I was a bit surprised that he was British though. That sort of lunacy is usually reserved for our American fundies.

As to the manji/swastika thing....it goes back to the Hitler Ate Sugar meme. The manji was a Buddhist symbol for oh...several hundred years before the Nazis. Why does the ADL get to say "You can't use that anymore because if you look at it in a mirror, you might see a swastika"?

And we all know that even seeing a swastika causes Jews to spontaneously disintegrate.  ::)

I'm not trying to be cavalier or anti-Semitic here, but seriously....why does Judaism automatically get preferred rights over Buddhism (other than the fact that most Buddhists wouldn't fight)?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: December 06, 2011, 03:30:41 pm »

As to the manji/swastika thing....it goes back to the Hitler Ate Sugar meme. The manji was a Buddhist symbol for oh...several hundred years before the Nazis. Why does the ADL get to say "You can't use that anymore because if you look at it in a mirror, you might see a swastika"?
We should ban vegetarians as well!  :P

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: December 06, 2011, 03:41:03 pm »

And all people who like dogs.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3263 on: December 06, 2011, 03:41:15 pm »

Quote from: RedKing
I'm not trying to be cavalier or anti-Semitic here, but seriously....why does Judaism automatically get preferred rights over Buddhism (other than the fact that most Buddhists wouldn't fight)?

Because Buddhists aren't that crazy about power or holding things in stone... Unlike pretty much every other religion.
You can still find the manji on statues and stuff where there are quite a bit of Buddhists, I've been somewhere in Malaysia called "the path to enlightenment," Taoist/Buddhist place, where there's a large Buddha with a manji on his chest.

My sister, not knowing what it was, rather humorously shouted:
OMG BUDDHIST NAZIS

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: December 06, 2011, 03:43:35 pm »

I love how the Simpsons averts this.

"What's that tattoo on your arm, Sideshow Bob?"

"'Die Bart, Die!' .... It's German for The Bart, The!"

"(completely unsarcastic) He can't be evil, no one who speaks German is evil."
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: December 06, 2011, 03:48:36 pm »

So I'm getting a haircut today. Stopped by some barber shop, just any old one.

My looking like a regular guy for appearances' sake is unfortunately just society being an ass. That said, I don't especially care about how it looks as long as its professional etc.

The old barber, who seems to work only on appointments, made it a point that I come to see him at 3PM for the appointment otherwise, "I'd be screwing him." I see what he was getting at, but it sort of makes me worry.  Has he had a lot of people cancel appointments on him for a haircut? Why?

Granted, I know I'm probably being stupid about the whole thing. People don't show up for appointments all the time. It's annoying as hell and costs money. Worse, you usually have to send them a stupid card with a teddy bear on it or something like, "O, did you forget? Please feel free to call our office to reschedule."

All the same, its sad that this guy has such a problem with that to the point where its the first thing he says to a new customer.... WTF people...? Guy charges $11/haircut; don't screw him....
Worst. Businessman. Evar.

Wow. Words cannot convey just how hard I just facepalmed. Personally, I would go somewhere else based on that alone.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: December 06, 2011, 03:57:17 pm »

Because Buddhists aren't that crazy about power or holding things in stone... Unlike pretty much every other religion.
Still doesn't mean that Buddhist rights should get second-class status just because they're not marching or forming a watchdog group. And yes, there is such a thing as Buddhist fundamentalism (see Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tibet, and arguably the Soka Gakkai in Japan).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3267 on: December 06, 2011, 03:59:50 pm »

Still doesn't mean that Buddhist rights should get second-class status just because they're not marching or forming a watchdog group. And yes, there is such a thing as Buddhist fundamentalism (see Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tibet, and arguably the Soka Gakkai in Japan).

It's not right, but it's why it's happening :(

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: December 06, 2011, 04:16:25 pm »

I just youtube-searched Nyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyan.

First thing that came up was "[Vocaloid] Nyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanya!"

I THOUGHT THAT NYAN CAT INTRODUCED IT TO THE INTERNETS!

NOT SOME ANIME SINGER!

What. The. Fuck. Japan.

I'd embed it, but then i seriously think it might go against forum rules from what
i saw in the video.

Posting linking to it anyway, just in case it doesn't happen to go against the forum rules.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pAfsewVPu4&feature=player_embedded Actually, this makes me wonder WHY Vocaloid exists for some reason.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 04:22:28 pm by Tlc2011 »

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: December 06, 2011, 04:21:58 pm »

I THOUGHT THAT NYAN CAT INTRODUCED IT TO THE INTERNETS!

NOT SOME ANIME SINGER!

What. The. Fuck. Japan.

I'd embed it, but then i seriously think it might go against forum rules from what
i saw in the video.

Honestly? That song is a Touhou meme. Vocaloid is entirely different. And that whole Vocaloid thing is based on anime characters that "sing" IRL. The concerts are background musicians playing while an anime girl dancing on the screen lip-synching the words. And people eat it up.

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 11040