Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5962 5963 [5964] 5965 5966 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461164 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89445 on: November 06, 2015, 06:49:25 pm »

I was looking up Jem and the Holograms information (The GOOD Cartoon not the DREADFUL movie)

And I found out Jetta (a villain in the show) was originally going to be Black to give the Misfits (the villain group) some diversity.

But what happened was that at the time (late 80s early 90s) it was considered immoral for non-whites to be villains. So they made her British instead. (also in the Jem comics, they changed her back to Black and still kept her as British)

GOODNESS have we come a long way... and yet, when I think about it, we still see this today. I am trying to think of a single villain in Teen Titans who wasn't white or non-human.

---

HOLY goodness... I am racking my brain to think of a single non-white human villain from a cartoon within the last 25 years but I can't think of almost any.

The ONLY one I have is Black Manta from Young Justice (he never took off his helmet in Justice League) and one of the Wrecking Crew in the Avengers cartoons.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:53:05 pm by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #89446 on: November 06, 2015, 06:53:14 pm »

How did you find that? Is funny.
edgychan

/pol/, I'll wager.
PTSD = Pretty Terrifying Skeleton Disease. It gives sjws sooper powers and makes innocent cis-het-male-identified-men writhe with pain.
u doot doot spoopy or Mr. Bones?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89447 on: November 06, 2015, 07:06:44 pm »

I was looking up Jem and the Holograms information (The GOOD Cartoon not the DREADFUL movie)

And I found out Jetta (a villain in the show) was originally going to be Black to give the Misfits (the villain group) some diversity.

But what happened was that at the time (late 80s early 90s) it was considered immoral for non-whites to be villains. So they made her British instead. (also in the Jem comics, they changed her back to Black and still kept her as British)

GOODNESS have we come a long way... and yet, when I think about it, we still see this today. I am trying to think of a single villain in Teen Titans who wasn't white or non-human.

---

HOLY goodness... I am racking my brain to think of a single non-white human villain from a cartoon within the last 25 years but I can't think of almost any.

The ONLY one I have is Black Manta from Young Justice (he never took off his helmet in Justice League) and one of the Wrecking Crew in the Avengers cartoons.

In that awful Flash Gordon tv reboot they had a few years back they made Ming an ordinary white guy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #89448 on: November 06, 2015, 07:10:45 pm »

Minorites as villains = das raycis

Also Kesha as the misfits = Make mo money mo sequels

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89449 on: November 06, 2015, 07:15:18 pm »

Minorites as villains = das raycis

Also Kesha as the misfits = Make mo money mo sequels

Goodness... Kesha as Pizzazz was just so perfect I WISH The Jem movie was about that... instead of just making it a sequel hook that kind of thankfully won't happen.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #89450 on: November 06, 2015, 07:19:00 pm »

They couldn't afford all the Kedollar for that Kemeosha

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89451 on: November 06, 2015, 07:26:34 pm »

---

Jafar from Disney's Alladin, but there weren't *any* white characters in that movie..

EDIT:
The same goes for the villain from Mulan, who was asian like every other character in the movie.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:30:47 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89452 on: November 06, 2015, 07:28:05 pm »

Jafar from Disney's Alladin, but there weren't *any* white characters in that movie.

That seems to be a major exception to the rule.

The Proud Family for example had black villains but very few characters weren't black.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89453 on: November 06, 2015, 07:33:19 pm »

Just thought of another one. There have been a few X-Men cartoon shows and IIRC Magneto is Jewish, so depending on if you consider Jewish people white there's that (although Magneto's more of an Anti-Villain than a villain-villain)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:36:25 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89454 on: November 06, 2015, 07:40:13 pm »

Just thought of another one. There have been a few X-Men cartoon shows and IIRC Magneto is Jewish, so depending on if you consider Jewish people white there's that (although Magneto's more of an Anti-Villain than a villain-villain)

That is outside knowledge though. I think in the Cartoons as far as they let you be aware Magneto is American/White. Though I don't know if it is ever stated if he is of Jewish Race, only Jewish Religion in all the sources.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89455 on: November 06, 2015, 07:41:59 pm »

it's english, just not your english

It's related to English, but I'm pretty sure it's closer to the Newspeak family than to true English
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #89456 on: November 06, 2015, 07:43:16 pm »

Movieneto is no Doctor Doom. Movieneto is more an extremist than villain. Also Doctor Doom is gypsy which although white is a global minority within national minorities within local minorities.

That is outside knowledge though. I think in the Cartoons as far as they let you be aware Magneto is American.
Is Movieneto using old fluff or making new fluff? Could just be origin stories differing from different story writers

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89457 on: November 06, 2015, 07:50:52 pm »

Speaking of spoopy skeleton war WTFs: The Quinnspirator is publishing her memoir (is she that old?) and it's going to be made into a movie.

Also, MGTOW sez beastly wimmin turn men into zombies with their noxious secretions. (Please, God, let this be Poe...)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #89458 on: November 06, 2015, 07:52:58 pm »

Quiam GG stuff is b& on bay12

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89459 on: November 06, 2015, 07:55:02 pm »

With good reason.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 5962 5963 [5964] 5965 5966 ... 11040