Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5068 5069 [5070] 5071 5072 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14514514 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76035 on: May 11, 2015, 01:48:57 pm »

How often do you clear out your recycle bin? I myself delete maybe 10 gigs of files on average per week, is it just me?

Maybe once every month. Depends.

When I have about ten gigs left on my hard drive is usually when said time comes up :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76036 on: May 11, 2015, 02:06:18 pm »

I am starting to really hate the "Rules of generosity" so much.

If I say "No" I mean "No" it doesn't mean it is your job to get more insistant.

If I don't want to eat something, it doesn't give you the right to just place it in my room... It especially doesn't give me the obligation to eat it.

If I don't want a ride, it doesn't give you the right to just show up and honk at me to get into the car... It especially doesn't give me the obligation to get into the car.

I don't see why people still insist that "Gifts are totally neutral" when they are clearly impositions. People who give people things they specifically ask to not receive are one of the worst kinds of jerks. They are jerks that everyone will cheer for. "Ohh you should have just accepted the gift!" ohh well thanks cheer squad, tell me what is the purpose of a gift?

This is why I'll ALWAYS side with the person who refuses a gift they already asked not to receive no matter how much of a jerk they are.

Because almost no matter what... They are the lesser jerk...

That and usually the whole "I gave you a gift now you owe me your gratitude" thing tends to be used in a very sexist way :P
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:15:48 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76037 on: May 11, 2015, 02:22:53 pm »

I sort of agree in terms of the social obligations created by actual gift-giving, but that's not really what you're describing, Neo. Those are situations where someone has gone out of their way to try to make your life easier -- it's not about the help they're offering, but the sentiment behind it, that they genuinely and without ulterior motives care enough about you as an individual to give up their own time to help you.

Yes, it can be sort of annoying when you're trying to be humble or self-sufficient and someone is insistent. However, in the subtext of the situation, what you're doing is essentially telling that person that you dislike them enough to not accept a simple indication of friendship, basic decency, or love, or that you think you're better than them, regardless of what you actually intend. If you're busy working and someone who you live with cares enough to make you a bite to eat, even if you don't want it, the decent thing to do is to at least accept it and thank them.

To boil it down to the simplest possible level: if you're heading through a door that someone else has just gone through and they stop to hold it for you, do you stop and tell them to cut it out or go through a different door that they aren't holding instead of continuing and maybe nodding, smiling, or giving them a little "Thanks,"?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #76038 on: May 11, 2015, 02:35:53 pm »

Not really on topic, but in conservative eastern culture if you're given a gift you're suppose to say no thanks and then accept it anyways after the person insists so that you don't act greedy.

Also fight viciously over the right to pay restaurant checks. I both fear and look forward to the day that I get old enough/financially stable enough to join in on that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:37:33 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #76039 on: May 11, 2015, 02:54:26 pm »

Ah, how simple it is to live in a culture where a gift is a gift and a refusal is a refusal.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #76040 on: May 11, 2015, 03:15:30 pm »

Is Neo complaining about how giving presents makes you a sexist arsehole again?

We've already had this argument. It went nowhere.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #76041 on: May 11, 2015, 03:22:21 pm »

*grabs popcorn*

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #76042 on: May 11, 2015, 03:30:23 pm »

He only mentioned it very briefly as a kind of note at the end. You mentioning it (and me responding to said mention) are the closest to a serious discussion we have come/I want it to come.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #76043 on: May 11, 2015, 03:42:36 pm »

Right. I can't actually be bothered going back to check.

But if anyone tries to continue that argument I will have to smite you for wasting the forum server's bandwidth.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #76044 on: May 11, 2015, 03:45:24 pm »

Meh. From MZ that would be a threat. From you...well, all I can see is an unlucky sod being pelted by oranges while you shout "I smite thee with my holy orange powers!"  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76045 on: May 11, 2015, 03:54:41 pm »

Spoiler: IT HAPPENED AGAIN (click to show/hide)

I really need to clear out my recycle bin more.
At least if you're on windows, I can give you the heads up that shift+delete bypasses the recycle bin nonsense entirely.

I'll clean out the recycle bin something like once or twice a year, usually of <100 megs caused by mispressed buttons. Everything gets straight up deleted. Saves much effort.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76046 on: May 11, 2015, 04:07:09 pm »

I probably clear out my recycle bin once a year and remove one or two dozen gigabytes of stuff. My Downloads folder (because I still haven't gotten around to changing the default download place and because doing so would increase clutter), on the other hand, has somewhere between 25 and 100 gigabytes of stuff.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #76047 on: May 11, 2015, 04:20:18 pm »

I probably clear out my recycle bin once a year and remove one or two dozen gigabytes of stuff. My Downloads folder (because I still haven't gotten around to changing the default download place and because doing so would increase clutter), on the other hand, has somewhere between 25 and 100 gigabytes of stuff.

You should consider something like FlashGet - it automatically sorts your downloads based on file type (if you're using firefox, it doesn't mesh properly with Chrome) into user configurable folders. I used to have the "heavily bloated downloads folder" problem, but that went a long way toward eliminating it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #76048 on: May 11, 2015, 04:30:36 pm »

I dont know how to feel right now. I was invited to come study with a couple classmates, and that went okay, but then afterward they asked if I would come join them with their friends to hang out for a bit. I said yes, because fuck it I don't get the chance to hang out with anyone but once every two years. And now I remember why. I went to have a chat with them, but the conversation was almost entirely on things they're involved with that I have no idea about. I don't even remember any of the names of the people I was introduced to now. Of course these two lovely ladies had girlfriends to talk with, and the first thing they want to discuss when we arrive was how much their boyfriends suck. One of the other women immediately said "I think the only thing I like with a penis anymore is the one in my belly (I'm pregnant by the way.)" So right there I am immediately introduced to a reason to feel like I'm just not welcome here. Of course all the other guys were absent, so I really had no one to talk to until the conversation switched to employment and financial aid. Turns out I'm the only unemployed lame bum available anyway.

Now I can't stop thinking about how stupid I am for thinking I could actually socialize with people and stop being a hermit for once. So I guess I should feel disappointed or sad or something, but even that doesn't seem entirely true.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #76049 on: May 11, 2015, 04:36:14 pm »

I dont know how to feel right now. I was invited to come study with a couple classmates, and that went okay, but then afterward they asked if I would come join them with their friends to hang out for a bit. I said yes, because fuck it I don't get the chance to hang out with anyone but once every two years. And now I remember why. I went to have a chat with them, but the conversation was almost entirely on things they're involved with that I have no idea about. I don't even remember any of the names of the people I was introduced to now. Of course these two lovely ladies had girlfriends to talk with, and the first thing they want to discuss when we arrive was how much their boyfriends suck. One of the other women immediately said "I think the only thing I like with a penis anymore is the one in my belly (I'm pregnant by the way.)" So right there I am immediately introduced to a reason to feel like I'm just not welcome here. Of course all the other guys were absent, so I really had no one to talk to until the conversation switched to employment and financial aid. Turns out I'm the only unemployed lame bum available anyway.

Now I can't stop thinking about how stupid I am for thinking I could actually socialize with people and stop being a hermit for once. So I guess I should feel disappointed or sad or something, but even that doesn't seem entirely true.
Obviously the problem seems to be that you tried hanging out with the wrong kind of people.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 5068 5069 [5070] 5071 5072 ... 11037