Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5067 5068 [5069] 5070 5071 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14514981 times)

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76020 on: May 11, 2015, 09:50:40 am »

I'm not new to what's essentially witch-hunts, or scapegoating, but my experience with it has been extremely... puzzling. I joined a forum some time ago, and made my debut by not being happy with calling people retarded, faggots, etc., and that marked me as an enemy of the "ruling" clique, since I attacked a couple of their members. I was eventually grudgingly accepted into the group, but only with marks of "honour" labeling me as a lunatic and so on. A couple of members did not let it go even to that extent, and kept on baiting me with slurs, constantly hinting at my person while saying very explicitly that women are stupid and inferior. I've lately grown irritable enough to start talking back to them, and that's enraged the clique all over again, and they're rallying the group against me. Even when I make completely reasonable posts, even posts in agreement with someone, I am attacked (while the post I agreed with is being agreed with by others...) as a troll, as a shit-stirrer, and notably as a hysterical, insane woman "in need of rough sex and psychiatric care".

It's a bit frightening, a bit saddening, a bit maddening. I'm not very hopeful that the administration will ever take a stance against this kind of behaviour.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76021 on: May 11, 2015, 09:57:19 am »

It's time to leave for greener pastures, lijacote.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76022 on: May 11, 2015, 10:00:11 am »

Yeah, why even put up with that any longer? What's to gain? I could certainly understand an attempt to maybe bring some reason to where it seems sorely needed, but if they clearly turned you down, then just let them stew in their own shit.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76023 on: May 11, 2015, 10:07:56 am »

I'm hoping that I can influence the group with bringing this conflict up -- and I do mean that the conflict exists even without me. These people do not need me for their attitudes to pop up.

And the group isn't just a social group, it's a grouping around a series of books that I like. A series of books that I like best, unfortunately. So I'm not leaving it just yet, though I did leave it for a moment before deciding that I'm not finished yet.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76024 on: May 11, 2015, 10:12:19 am »

Care for a link so we can see for ourselves? Or perhaps disclose what book series it is about?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76025 on: May 11, 2015, 10:14:33 am »

Or perhaps disclose what book series it is about?
I'd wager my imaginary honour that it's Dr Seuss' Horton series of literary masterpieces.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76026 on: May 11, 2015, 10:19:44 am »

Was on wikipedia and had one of those re-realizations that fear, terror and panic are all completely different concepts.
Which just makes me happy we have such a brutally packed language.

Well, the latest Oglaf was certainly mysterious.
Was gonna say 'post it'. But best not.

Well, the mystery is running out.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76027 on: May 11, 2015, 10:55:32 am »

Ugh. The library computer I'm on has the volume control locked out, and the library requires people to mute the sound or wear headphones. Then a random Flash advertisement suddenly starts blasting sound after 10 minutes of viewing the page I'm on.

As it turns out, every one of the library computers have the volume control locked out, including this one which is one I often use. Why, why would anyone do that?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76028 on: May 11, 2015, 10:58:58 am »

Care for a link so we can see for ourselves? Or perhaps disclose what book series it is about?
Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
"I'm not competing with George. R. R. Martin"
If you insist, you can look up the discussion in Facebook. It's the Malazan Empire group. I am uncomfortable with outright saying who I am, but I think it should be fairly obvious if you chance a look at it.

The series is good. The best fantasy I've read so far. Up there with Glen Cook's The Black Company, etc.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #76029 on: May 11, 2015, 11:41:28 am »

Ugh. The library computer I'm on has the volume control locked out, and the library requires people to mute the sound or wear headphones. Then a random Flash advertisement suddenly starts blasting sound after 10 minutes of viewing the page I'm on.

As it turns out, every one of the library computers have the volume control locked out, including this one which is one I often use. Why, why would anyone do that?
]
Why do they even have speakers is the question.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76030 on: May 11, 2015, 11:56:34 am »

I've been meaning to start reading a new fantasy/medieval series for a while. Now that I've been paid I should really go track down the first book of this Malazan business. That's one I've heard a lot of recommendations for.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76031 on: May 11, 2015, 11:57:44 am »

Oh holy hell. My new boss assigned me a load last week that was, to put it simply, impossible to complete due to time constraints. I explained quite clearly before I even got started that it would be impossible, and why, but he insisted I try anyway. It didn't work, for the exact reasons I explained to him.

Now he's giving me the exact same job. I'll try explaining it again once I get to work, but if he still doesn't get it I'm going to scream.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76032 on: May 11, 2015, 12:04:49 pm »

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
"I'm not competing with George. R. R. Martin"
If you insist, you can look up the discussion in Facebook. It's the Malazan Empire group. I am uncomfortable with outright saying who I am, but I think it should be fairly obvious if you chance a look at it.

The series is good. The best fantasy I've read so far. Up there with Glen Cook's The Black Company, etc.

Out of curiosity, have you tried joining other fansites/groups/forums with threads for for the same series or author? A cursory search popped up a couple, and just about anything would be better than hanging about with what sound like redpill scumbags.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76033 on: May 11, 2015, 01:42:11 pm »

Spoiler: IT HAPPENED AGAIN (click to show/hide)

I really need to clear out my recycle bin more.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #76034 on: May 11, 2015, 01:47:50 pm »

How often do you clear out your recycle bin? I myself delete maybe 10 gigs of files on average per week, is it just me?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 5067 5068 [5069] 5070 5071 ... 11037