Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474249 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #4710 on: February 05, 2012, 08:29:41 pm »

Through pain, I find wisdom.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: February 05, 2012, 08:44:13 pm »

Sweet Sonic and Hella Knuckles?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: February 05, 2012, 09:02:17 pm »

To say the Confederate flag is inherently racist is to say the British flag is racist as both at one point held slaves and promoted slavery. The only difference is the CSA nation lost the Civil War and the British nation survived into abolition.
A symbol isn't inherently anything, it has whatever meaning it is given by others. A flag is the purest symbol possible.
Granted Americans will see it negitively, just as they vote for George Bush and oppose universal healthcare for all. Just because some idiots have a kneejerk or uneducated reaction to a flag doesn't mean the flag itself should be branded as offensive.
People are offended by the flag. Therefore the flag is offensive.

That doesn't mean that flying it is necessarily wrong, but it should be understood that flying it is going to offend people. You can dismiss their feelings as worthless but it would be nice to acknowledge and understand that they have them, maybe try to understand why they do.

How people deal with symbols others find offensive is entirely up to them. For companies and other groups that want to be inclusive, avoiding insult is probably a good path, commercially and morally.

Educating people as to history and what you view as the correct reading of a symbol is one thing. Waving the symbol around and attacking people for being offended is quite another. One of them could potentially work, leading to greater understanding and less offence taken on both sides. The other just entrenches things more.
Honestly it's much the same as the swastika; whereas it didn't originally mean what it does today, it was twisted and warped into something racist and offensive.

And I wasn't bashing the flag, but rather people who belive it isn't offensive. Not that it shouldn't be, ut that it isn't. We as a species need to start displaying more acceptance that other people have other opinions, wether or not we destroy them for it immediately afterwards. I understand that nazis believe what they believe, and I will accept that as I pummel the racist jackass into the ground. I hold all racism in the same "Idiot should not be able to breed" catagory.

Anyways my WTF for today is getting attacked by a minor race in Galciv II. One world against a hundred, and they think they'll win? I know I set the AI to Dumb but not that dumb.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: February 05, 2012, 09:16:16 pm »

Just remembered a bit of a personal WTF: during the summer of '10, I had the misfortune to have ended up in a dance with 50ish other students (all of us were 17-18) in the rural, Baptist south, and there were a number of chaperones there. Whenever one of them saw two people of opposite genders dancing closer than 2 feet or so apart, they would scurry over, almost shouting, "Leave room for Jesus!".

It took every fiber of my being working in concert to prevent me from responding with, "Yeah, he'd really appreciate a threesome!"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: February 05, 2012, 09:22:27 pm »

Just remembered a bit of a personal WTF: during the summer of '10, I had the misfortune to have ended up in a dance with 50ish other students (all of us were 17-18) in the rural, Baptist south, and there were a number of chaperones there. Whenever one of them saw two people of opposite genders dancing closer than 2 feet or so apart, they would scurry over, almost shouting, "Leave room for Jesus!".

It took every fiber of my being working in concert to prevent me from responding with, "Yeah, he'd really appreciate a threesome!"
Pfft hahahaha.

Thing is Jesus was hella cooler than most preachers seem to teach. Most of the legit bible stuff I've read has Jesus being pretty much a badass religious-drama hero.

I mean, the Romans were all "We're gonna muderate your ass just because" and Jesus said "come at me motherfuckers I'm the goddamn messiah" and the Romans were like "lol you dead d00d" and Jesus was like "nope, I'm JESUS" and then the romans were christan.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: February 05, 2012, 09:32:38 pm »

Pfft hahahaha.

Thing is Jesus was hella cooler than most preachers seem to teach. Most of the legit bible stuff I've read has Jesus being pretty much a badass religious-drama hero.

I mean, the Romans were all "We're gonna muderate your ass just because" and Jesus said "come at me motherfuckers I'm the goddamn messiah" and the Romans were like "lol you dead d00d" and Jesus was like "nope, I'm JESUS" and then the romans were christan.
So in other words, Jesus'd totally dig a threesome.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: February 05, 2012, 09:49:19 pm »

Ehn, might depend on how far into the Jesus == God thing you buy. If you go with fully identical, and tack on a little omnipresence (necessitated by perfection, whee~), technically Jesus not only digs threesomes, he actively participates and has participated in every threesome that has ever been and will be performed. As everyone involved.

Omnipresence has fun (E: and terrible. Can't forget the terrible.) consequences <3
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:50:58 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4717 on: February 05, 2012, 09:54:09 pm »

I doubt there is one among us who wouldn't do the same if given supernatural self-cloning abilities.

I know I would.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: February 05, 2012, 09:57:56 pm »

Eh, the actual act would be more like the humps on a three humped camel molesting each other. Logical consequence of a perfect god unfortunately entails that multiplicity (differentiation between selves) is an illusion, so it's basically equivalent to God's skin bumping uglies with itself. Though technically God doesn't have skin, as it's a single undifferentiated/undifferentiable substance. The idea comes across, though. I think.

The logical consequences of perfection in theology get pretty weird.

Total agreement on the supernatural self-cloning thing, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: February 05, 2012, 10:51:04 pm »

Tuesday last week I was tidying up my room because a friend of mine was making a surprise visit. I put my flash drive/USB drive/pen drive/whatever somewhere in my room, positioned specifically so I would remember where I put it. It is now Monday, and I fear I may have accidentally erased my flash drive from existence, along with 11.5GB of private data. I am a living disaster.
くコ:彡

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: February 05, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »

It'll pop up once you forget to remember about it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: February 05, 2012, 11:51:07 pm »

Scientists find "supergiant" shrimp off coast of New Zealand.

Seriously...these things are huge. They look kinda like aquatic wetas.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: February 06, 2012, 01:06:07 am »

"supergiant" shrimp...
Finally, something that matches my description! Also, that's horrifying.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: February 06, 2012, 01:46:56 am »

Scientists find "supergiant" shrimp off coast of New Zealand.

Seriously...these things are huge. They look kinda like aquatic wetas.
Question: can i eat it?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: February 06, 2012, 01:48:33 am »

Answer: You weren't listening to the video :P

E: Though probably, if you went and caught some yerself. Assuming that's legal.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 11037