Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2796 2797 [2798] 2799 2800 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14437332 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #41955 on: December 30, 2013, 05:23:15 pm »

Pfft. Filthy roleplayers/forumgame players.
So unscrupulous.

Why did the marketers for 47 Ronin spend so much advertising on a guy that literally appears for 1 minute and does absolutely nothing.
Which guy?

Also they took the original story, changed a few things, then added witches and Keanu. Really they could have just made the 47 Ronin story by itself. Would have been stronger. Otherwise I thought it was worth what we paid to see it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41956 on: December 30, 2013, 05:26:28 pm »

I didn't like it, but I respect that they were willing to have them all commit suicide at the end rather than copping out and ruining the point of the story. On the other hand, the film reminded me how creeped out I am by Japan's culture of suicidal idealization.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41957 on: December 30, 2013, 05:59:11 pm »

I saw it differently; that at the time their society was more interested in maintaining internal stability than defending against foreigners. The cost of letting the 47 live is a breaking-down of the social mores that enforce obedience to superiors. The cost of losing the 47 is fewer men to defend Japan. The Shogun was from the start interested primarily in stopping feuds, preventing internal struggle.

Although that doesn't make sense because Japan was effectively being attacked by mercantile imperialism from Europe. You'd think you would want a strong military.

But perhaps the Shogun felt politically threatened by the breaking-down of existing social mores against which he had no control. The rise of foreign influence on Japan, the power of individuals, and the slow destruction of the Samurai as a social class. On one level perhaps the decision to let the ronin die was partly to get them out of the way and help balance power among the provinces. After all they had just killed how many hundred of the Ice Guy's men? On another level perhaps we can forgive irrational or shortsighted decisions. And on another perhaps there was nothing else he could do, bound himself by tradition.

Then again I don't actually know enough about Japanese history to make this kind of commentary. I'm kinda talkin' outta my ass here.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #41958 on: December 30, 2013, 06:06:03 pm »

Why did the marketers for 47 Ronin spend so much advertising on a guy that literally appears for 1 minute and does absolutely nothing.
Which guy?

Also they took the original story, changed a few things, then added witches and Keanu. Really they could have just made the 47 Ronin story by itself. Would have been stronger. Otherwise I thought it was worth what we paid to see it.

Yeah I know and agree. I was referring to the skeleton tattoo man who had entire posters dedicated to him.
It's FEF, not FEOF

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41959 on: December 30, 2013, 06:24:43 pm »

A boy with a dumbass name and 10 siblings was gaming through the night and at 3 AM thought he smelled a stench from his body but it was a burning machine in the kitchen. He failed to put it out and yelled for his enormous family to flee. Somehow the fire department took long enough to respond that there was fire damage in neighboring rooms. The boy was hailed as a hero because his family was too dumb to put a smoke detector in their kitchen.

I speak no hyperbole here.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #41960 on: December 30, 2013, 06:31:29 pm »

Things I learned about Ancient Rome (via Cracked) today: three words: Trained Rape Giraffes.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #41961 on: December 30, 2013, 06:40:22 pm »

Things I learned about Ancient Rome (via Cracked) today: three words: Trained Rape Giraffes.

0.o

And people wonder why aliens don't openly visit us.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41962 on: December 30, 2013, 06:41:50 pm »

Are those three random words associated with Rome, or are they related to each other?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #41963 on: December 30, 2013, 06:45:37 pm »

Are those three random words associated with Rome, or are they related to each other?

Those are not three random words. Those are three words in a particular order designed to describe a giraffe that is trained to rape people. To death. And it apparently actually happened in Rome.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #41964 on: December 30, 2013, 06:46:11 pm »

...O_o what article was that?
It's FEF, not FEOF

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41966 on: December 30, 2013, 07:17:07 pm »

Those are not three random words. Those are three words in a particular order designed to describe a giraffe that is trained to rape people. To death. And it apparently actually happened in Rome.
So Mr.Hands (protip: Do not Google) was a few thousand years late.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #41967 on: December 30, 2013, 07:22:14 pm »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41968 on: December 30, 2013, 07:23:06 pm »

Pfft. Filthy roleplayers/forumgame players.
I'll have you know that my forumgaming is rare, and I've never played Mafia. My post count is legitimately almost all in General Discussion.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41969 on: December 30, 2013, 08:27:53 pm »

What is it with people preaching on the internet, and every time they type GOD or a synonym of such, they put it in all caps? It makes everything read like someone who can't control their excitement and randomly starts shouting.

Also, this quote from the comments section of an article on a (conservative??) news site:
If people ate really nutritious food they wouldn't need a 3-D liver.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 2796 2797 [2798] 2799 2800 ... 11040