Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2765 2766 [2767] 2768 2769 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471961 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #41490 on: December 18, 2013, 02:19:10 am »

So a woman with a 2.8 BAC tonight knocked out power in my town for about 2,500 people for a good hour.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41491 on: December 18, 2013, 02:31:37 am »

Double-clicking the word "Akulakhan" with Google Dictionary gives me this text:

Numidia (202 BC – 46 BC) was an ancient Berber kingdom in present-day Algeria and part of Tunisia (North Africa) that later alternated between being a Roman province and being a Roman client state, and is no longer in existence today.

And then links me to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akulakhan

Now, I know of Numidia, but I never really connected it to Numidium like Google seems to think should be done.

From what I remember, isn't a bunch of the caves named after Babylonian kings? Like, Ashurnibibi, Ashanammu and so on.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41492 on: December 18, 2013, 03:39:03 am »

Listening to someone speak Old English really fucks with my head. It's like I can almost understand it, but something is missing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #41493 on: December 18, 2013, 06:44:46 am »

Listening to someone speak Old English really fucks with my head. It's like I can almost understand it, but something is missing.
It's like... Frisian and danish and english combined. Which makes sense.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #41494 on: December 18, 2013, 07:02:33 am »

Marijuana contains about three times much tar as does tobacco, BUT it contains somewhat fewer carcinogens. It is STILL smoke though, so it contains a LOT of carcinogens, but if you smoke pot, you're more likely to die of COPD complications than cancer. The negative effects can be almost entirely neutralized by making it into edibles. The only remaining negative effects are... It being illegal.

From what I remember, due to the way the THC is stored in the lipids as mentioned before, when taken by mouth (but not when smoked; I know not why) marijuana can give you hallucinations for 30 days after taking it, which is not a very positive effect; at least, it's an effect that should make driving illegal for some condition* after consumption of cannabis by mouth.

But this is all remembered from the time I debated whether marijuana should be legalised in my country, and that was a few years back.

*Blood concentration? Some other way? I have no idea.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41495 on: December 18, 2013, 07:58:30 am »

Honestly, hallucinations for 30 days sounds a bit strong. Especially for a drug, which, IIRC, doesn't cause hallucinations normally.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41496 on: December 18, 2013, 08:53:42 am »

It does in like 5% of the population, but that's not its main effect.
And THC is stored in fat even when smoked; that's why it can be detected in urine for such a comparatively long time. Just compare, there's a table at the bottom:
http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/testing/testing_info1.shtml
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #41497 on: December 18, 2013, 09:31:44 am »

Ah, I suppose that makes sense. I just remember that it had some hallucinogenic effects, that could last for a month.

I believe that at this point I shall retract my questing meta-tendril from this particular discussion, as I am only muddying the waters.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41498 on: December 18, 2013, 11:22:40 am »

If marijuana was made legal and the law took into account that urine tests detect it even when it hasn't been smoked in the last few days, how do you think people will test for it on dangerous worksites (Do they do that for alcohol?) or in driving?

Some sort of cognitive/attention test? A test for lethargy? Some as-yet undiscovered marker that only is around when you're still influenced by the potz?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41499 on: December 18, 2013, 12:50:11 pm »

Perhaps they would have a law, similar to the open bottle rule, on open snack food packets?

:p

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41500 on: December 18, 2013, 01:31:22 pm »

Marijuana contains about three times much tar as does tobacco, BUT it contains somewhat fewer carcinogens. It is STILL smoke though, so it contains a LOT of carcinogens, but if you smoke pot, you're more likely to die of COPD complications than cancer. The negative effects can be almost entirely neutralized by making it into edibles. The only remaining negative effects are... It being illegal.

From what I remember, due to the way the THC is stored in the lipids as mentioned before, when taken by mouth (but not when smoked; I know not why) marijuana can give you hallucinations for 30 days after taking it, which is not a very positive effect; at least, it's an effect that should make driving illegal for some condition* after consumption of cannabis by mouth.

But this is all remembered from the time I debated whether marijuana should be legalised in my country, and that was a few years back.

*Blood concentration? Some other way? I have no idea.

This isn't exactly the case. You are technically still high for those thirty days, yes, but you don't usually hallucinate. I've hallucinated exactly twice from smoking marijuana, and the first time could have been because of cross-contamination from someone smoking psilocybin mushrooms from the pipe we used. Both hallucinations were rather mild, certainly not impairing to the extent people believe hallucinations to be, and notably neither were from edible marijuana, which has a different high than smoked marijuana.

The problem is that people have confused hallucinations from dissociative drugs with hallucinogenic drugs. A hallucination from a hallucinogen will generally make you go, "Wow, I'm seeing things. This is crazy." Whereas you ACTUALLY believe those things are there when you are hallucinating from a dissociative drug. Some hallucinogens sort of cross the boundary between the two, such as mescaline or PCP (PCP is actually a horse tranquilizer, btw) causing vivid, lifelike hallucinations that are incredibly easy to be misled by. Driving on hallucinogens of ANY sort is DEFINITELY NOT A GOOD IDEA.

I would rate marijuana as impairing about as much as a few beers, depending on your tolerance and amount consumed. It is entirely possible that you should definitely not drive after smoking, and is very most often the case, but some people can get away with driving after just a beer or two. It all depends on the person.

And the only way they'd be able to do it would be urine tests, and they'd just ALWAYS be positive. Either you don't smoke or you don't drive for 30 days.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #41501 on: December 18, 2013, 01:33:47 pm »

I think Hans knows what the deal is.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41502 on: December 18, 2013, 01:45:24 pm »

So I should expect it yesterday?
Well, yes, you shoull haven be* expected your package yesterday, but the delivery man will have be now stuck in a time loop.

* For explanation, read Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's 1,001 Tense Formations.
Iunderstoodthatreference.gif

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41503 on: December 18, 2013, 02:29:28 pm »

For the last few years, I have had the incredibly annoying problem that my sleep schedule is really hard to reset after I stay up later than usual for a single night, i.e. my sleeping schedule is easy to move west in time zones (and has a habit of gradually doing so) but hard to move back east. The last year was especially annoying, in that I was actually completely incapable of going back east (no matter how early I went to bed or set my alarm), so every time this happened I eventually had to spend a week twisting my sleep schedule around the globe. Since last week however, this has somehow reversed. I am currently waking up at 5am fully rested (even though my alarm would go off at 9am or so) and I'm dead tired at 7pm. What's happening to me? D:

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41504 on: December 18, 2013, 06:26:41 pm »

I have a similar problem to your first part: I'm a night-owl and it's really easy for me to stay up late, but very difficult to get up earlier. So if I screw up and have two or three late nights in a row, I'm then on a sleep schedule of 2 AM to Noon and it's really hard to break.

On the other hand, when I need to get up early several weeks in a row, say 5 AM wakeup, I'm able to go to bed earlier but I don't automatically feel sleepy at around 10 PM. Which means if I'm not careful I end up going to bed at midnight and look forward to just 5 hours' sleep. And when my wakeup changes back to normal (say 8 AM wakeup) I immediately slorp up that extra sleep time without a problem.

I almost never wake before 10 without an alarm.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 2765 2766 [2767] 2768 2769 ... 11037