Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2647 2648 [2649] 2650 2651 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14456389 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #39720 on: November 04, 2013, 07:43:10 pm »

It doesn't help that there is a persistent rumor that Brutalist architecture is designed as it is intentionally for riot suppression. The versions of it range from the relatively plausible "it makes for efficient pathways to box in protestors" to straight up woo bullshit about the buildings having magic auras, but in reality it is completely false.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #39721 on: November 04, 2013, 07:44:09 pm »

This would suggest to me that the average person is far too stupid to ever run an actual good political system.

That's why we have non - average people in those jobs; they're called Politicians. :P

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39722 on: November 04, 2013, 07:45:54 pm »

This would suggest to me that the average person is far too stupid to ever run an actual good political system.

That's why we have non - average people in those jobs; they're called Politicians. :P
And they all seem to invariably just play people off each other. The rest of them either go insane or quit because people don't listen otherwise.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #39723 on: November 04, 2013, 07:49:52 pm »

And they all seem to invariably just play people off each other. The rest of them either go insane or quit because people don't listen otherwise.

You didn't need to observe conversations on architecture to know that, Lagslayer! :) I know you're too clever for that. :)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39724 on: November 04, 2013, 07:52:31 pm »

You didn't need to observe conversations on architecture to know that, Lagslayer! :) I know you're too clever for that. :)
I just didn't suspect architecture in particular was this bad of an issue. The list of safe bastions from politics is incredibly small and shrinking daily.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #39725 on: November 05, 2013, 01:15:27 am »

I just didn't suspect architecture in particular was this bad of an issue. The list of safe bastions from politics is incredibly small and shrinking daily.
So tempted to make an inappropriate joke there.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #39726 on: November 05, 2013, 01:46:19 am »

It doesn't help that there is a persistent rumor that Brutalist architecture is designed as it is intentionally for riot suppression. The versions of it range from the relatively plausible "it makes for efficient pathways to box in protestors" to straight up woo bullshit about the buildings having magic auras, but in reality it is completely false.
yeeeaaah... You know Paris? The beautiful avenues, Champs Elysees and all that hausmannian bullshit?
It has been specifically designed so it would easier to fire on protesters with cannons.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39727 on: November 05, 2013, 01:50:26 am »

The night before last I dreamt that myself and Charles Manson teamed up with some volunteer/charity relief organization to distribute bright yellow raincoats to survivors of a combined apocalyptic flood and zombie outbreak.
I'm not quite sure how that was supposed to help, but oh well.
Holy crap, my dream from last night also feature a zombie outbreak and an apocalyptic flood O_o
Also Secession war soldiers fighting zombies, floating skyscrappers, security codes and a peasant/zombie revolution against the vatican or something.

Clearly, this must mean the end is here.

Last night I dreamt that myself and a group of others stole a truckload of drugs from some cartel (who all had big bushy moustaches) and took it to Gus Fring from breaking bad. Who was talking to his ex-wife about custody arrangements and stuff.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39728 on: November 05, 2013, 02:05:01 am »

The night before last I dreamt that myself and Charles Manson teamed up with some volunteer/charity relief organization to distribute bright yellow raincoats to survivors of a combined apocalyptic flood and zombie outbreak.
I'm not quite sure how that was supposed to help, but oh well.
Holy crap, my dream from last night also feature a zombie outbreak and an apocalyptic flood O_o
Also Secession war soldiers fighting zombies, floating skyscrappers, security codes and a peasant/zombie revolution against the vatican or something.

Clearly, this must mean the end is here.

Last night I dreamt that myself and a group of others stole a truckload of drugs from some cartel (who all had big bushy moustaches) and took it to Gus Fring from breaking bad. Who was talking to his ex-wife about custody arrangements and stuff.
So the end of the world is a zombie/flood apocalypse featuring Gus Fring from breaking bad. Hardcore.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39729 on: November 05, 2013, 05:56:58 am »

My alarm was set for one in the afternoon this morning, when I have to get up at six AM to catch the bus. I wouldn't have woken up on time, except I had a nightmare about spiders that got me up exactly when my alarm would have if I'd set it correctly.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39730 on: November 05, 2013, 09:16:44 am »

yeeeaaah... You know Paris? The beautiful avenues, Champs Elysees and all that hausmannian bullshit?
It has been specifically designed so it would easier to fire on protesters with cannons.
I thought it was designed in a way to allow blocking every street with barricades. French revolutionaries LOVE barricades.
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #39731 on: November 05, 2013, 10:18:09 am »

That's brutalism for you. Not much in the way of elegance.

Granted, I wouldn't design it like that, but it is fairly elegant for a brutalist building.
It looks like it's composed of several giant, enclosed guillotines; once you've got the guilty verdict, just take them to one of the many head slots, press a button, and the people outside get to watch the white tabs drop like an amusement park ride. Bonus points if the blood trickles out the bottom of the slits in the sides and waterfalls down the concrete, pooling on the sidewalk.

Was the building designed by Ironside & Mallone?

I don't think that the state governments are quite that obvious yet. The architectural company designs hockey rinks, not slaughterhouses.
I never knew architecture was so politically charged. I mean, not liking a certain aesthetic is one thing, but comparing people to Hitler over it is simply unbelievable, and I already had a very low opinion of the average person.

This would suggest to me that the average person is far too stupid to ever run an actual good political system. Faith in humanity -7.

I don't know weather this should have been in the sad thread, the rage thread, or the politics thread. I am seriously troubled by this revelation.

What. WHAT. WHERE DID THAT EVEN COME FROM?!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39732 on: November 05, 2013, 11:15:59 am »

That's brutalism for you. Not much in the way of elegance.

Granted, I wouldn't design it like that, but it is fairly elegant for a brutalist building.
It looks like it's composed of several giant, enclosed guillotines; once you've got the guilty verdict, just take them to one of the many head slots, press a button, and the people outside get to watch the white tabs drop like an amusement park ride. Bonus points if the blood trickles out the bottom of the slits in the sides and waterfalls down the concrete, pooling on the sidewalk.

Was the building designed by Ironside & Mallone?

I don't think that the state governments are quite that obvious yet. The architectural company designs hockey rinks, not slaughterhouses.
I never knew architecture was so politically charged. I mean, not liking a certain aesthetic is one thing, but comparing people to Hitler over it is simply unbelievable, and I already had a very low opinion of the average person.

This would suggest to me that the average person is far too stupid to ever run an actual good political system. Faith in humanity -7.

I don't know weather this should have been in the sad thread, the rage thread, or the politics thread. I am seriously troubled by this revelation.

What. WHAT. WHERE DID THAT EVEN COME FROM?!

Godwin out of nowhere. I mean, damn, could I have made it any more obvious that I was being facetious? Granted, it still looks like it's made out of guillotines, but I still don't see where you could get Hitler from that. Pot calling the kettle black with the whole "OMG STOP POLITICIZING EVERYTHING" outburst, eh? Maybe some people are so entrenched in the war-politics culture that they honestly can't differentiate it from a little (pardon the pun) gallows humor. :x

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39733 on: November 05, 2013, 11:39:47 am »

quote pyramid
I looked up Brutalism Architecture. That's basically what the criticism came down to.

I didn't mean to direct it at anyone in this thread.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:42:17 am by Lagslayer »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39734 on: November 05, 2013, 12:36:46 pm »

I think it was the 'slaughterhouse' bit. Yeah, it's a stretch.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 2647 2648 [2649] 2650 2651 ... 11040