Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1104 1105 [1106] 1107 1108 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474185 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #16575 on: September 15, 2012, 10:46:32 pm »

That's kinda awesome.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

CookieRaider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16576 on: September 16, 2012, 01:18:28 am »

^ your avatar made me think wtf

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16577 on: September 16, 2012, 01:18:59 am »

Which one? Applejack? Daring Do? Or Toph?
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

CookieRaider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16578 on: September 16, 2012, 01:20:32 am »

They all did. They keep changing every time I load the page. I thought I was going crazy(er)!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16579 on: September 16, 2012, 01:21:14 am »

CookieRaider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16580 on: September 16, 2012, 01:23:06 am »

Oh cool  :)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16581 on: September 16, 2012, 02:23:44 am »

You crazy Americans.
This is a blank sig.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16582 on: September 16, 2012, 02:58:47 am »

"Believe" has always seemed like a rather silly word to use when talking about anything requiring an iota of critical thought. I "know" or "think" that the theory of evolution as it stands is correct in-so-far as it accounts for more of the data we have than anything else (in a manner that doesn't consist of repeatedly shouting, "THE DEVIL DID IT" or "GOD IS TESTING US WITH DINOSAUR BONES"), at least until further refinements are made or something else that is better able to explain the facts we have and make accurate predictions comes along.

But yes, we are rather crazy over here.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16583 on: September 16, 2012, 02:59:15 am »

I could've sworn we were over 50% at least. Oh well.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16584 on: September 16, 2012, 02:59:31 am »

What I find even more infuriating about evolution is that as the proof of it becomes more strong, the Christians and that lot all just change the argument along the scale from "God made everything as it is now." to "God made everything, so how it is now is a result of God;s work.".
That really bugs me.
It's like if I were running for some political position, and I just kept changing my policies all of the time if I thought the old ones might be a bit unpopular, but without saying anything about it and pretending it didn't happen.

And that people will then proceed to set up entire campaigns dedicated to saying evolution is wrong. I kid you not, I saw this one thing that was supposedly non-profit, and they were selling a PDF of their leaflet that contained 15 "proofs that evolution is false" and then some stuff about god. And hundreds of thousands of copies of it had been sold.
Why do people buy these things? A leaflet whose only unique feature is some snazzy formatting and some common arguments, and from an organisation that says it's non-profit. But they still charge for a PDF document. I don't get how they could get so popular on such a supposedly niche market. It'd be: People who believe evolution to be undeniably wrong; people who are easily drawn in by pretty colours and nice design; people who want to spread around the words that have been said so many times before; and people with more money than sense.
And yet the thing has been running for about five years now.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16585 on: September 16, 2012, 03:01:50 am »

I live in Kentucky; you're preaching to the choir.

Which is a rather unfortunate turn of phrase to use in this instance. Also it is 3 am why the fuck am I not asleep.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16586 on: September 16, 2012, 03:03:15 am »

What I find even more infuriating about evolution is that as the proof of it becomes more strong, the Christians and that lot all just change the argument along the scale from "God made everything as it is now." to "God made everything, so how it is now is a result of God;s work.".
That really bugs me.
It's like if I were running for some political position, and I just kept changing my policies all of the time if I thought the old ones might be a bit unpopular, but without saying anything about it and pretending it didn't happen.
If you consider religion to be a philosophy rather than akin to a political platform, then changing things around in light of new evidence is very much the logical thing to do. It's what science does, after all.

Complicated religions are invariably going to be jumping through an increasingly ridiculous number of hoops to fit with our knowledge, but that's neither here nor there.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #16587 on: September 16, 2012, 03:12:54 am »

Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #16588 on: September 16, 2012, 04:11:36 am »

くコ:彡

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16589 on: September 16, 2012, 04:14:25 am »

Hammertime or the wacky BB code?
Pages: 1 ... 1104 1105 [1106] 1107 1108 ... 11037