Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1073 1074 [1075] 1076 1077 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457260 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #16110 on: September 10, 2012, 09:38:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's entirely what they intended. The objective here is to make GoDaddy lose business because they supported SOPA.

Alright. Sure. But why hurt innocents? I mean, if they really wanted to make a statement or whatever why not go after the main site? Sure, GoDaddy loses face from this, but not more then if their main site was lost. I can understand why GoDaddy was targeted, I just think the actions taken were stupid and not really helpful.

Today, Anonymous took down every GoDaddy site on Earth.

So apparently going by that link.

Main Godaddy site: Still active and working. Sites of innocent customers: Fucked up.

Way to go internet freedom fighters. Really sticking it to the man there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean more than actually taking down the sites homepage? I mean, their site is just a poster for their operations. They attacked their operations. Sure, some innocent people were inconvenienced, but they've certainly scared the shit outta me for one by demonstrating they can cripple the entire business rather than just rip down the poster in front of it. Uh... who hosts B12 by the way? I'm a little worried now.

(not condoning it and you're 100% right that it's wrong to all the wrong people, just saying if they wanted to impress me they have)

Maybe? If they were really after scaring average random people though I would say that makes them even stupider.
Or based in a far-off country and well hidden.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16111 on: September 10, 2012, 09:39:36 pm »

No one ever said Anon was there to make a sound point, with not much in the way of stupid. Anon is there to mess up things and be generally confusing to everyone on tv news. Usually.
Its gonna be a sad day when network engineers say "fuck it" and poison their packets to track down Anon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16112 on: September 10, 2012, 09:40:08 pm »

Look, this is Anon we're talking about. We're lucky we got a reason for this at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16113 on: September 10, 2012, 09:44:06 pm »

Think it was more about hitting the pocketbook than the PR (of the targeted company, mind, not the group(s) doing the attack), or at least the means of filling the pocketbook, than scaring the normal folks. Going after the actual doing-stuff bits (the hosting or whatev') rather than the picture on the front door (the main website) would be how you do that. The actual main site wouldn't do much to their actual functioning bits. Regular Joe user was just an unfortunate bit of collateral damage, presumably.

Basically they couldn't actually do damage (or at least the sort of damage they wanted to do) to GD's business without hitting some (ostensibly -- one may argue there's culpability, however faint, for supporting GD's business to begin with) innocents in the process.

But who really knows. We'd need some sort of declaration from the attacking group clarifying their intent to be able to do anything but randomly speculate :-\

Looking at the article, it doesn't really say much at all.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16114 on: September 10, 2012, 09:45:48 pm »

Main Godaddy site: Still active and working. Sites of innocent customers: Fucked up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean more than actually taking down the sites homepage? I mean, their site is just a poster for their operations. They attacked their operations. Sure, some innocent people were inconvenienced, but they've certainly scared the shit outta me for one by demonstrating they can cripple the entire business rather than just rip down the poster in front of it. Uh... who hosts B12 by the way? I'm a little worried now.

(not condoning it and you're 100% right that it's wrong to all the wrong people, just saying if they wanted to impress me they have)
So, basically a terrorist act. You aren't really hitting your real enemy, but doggone it let's potentially ruin the lives of a bunch of bystanders to intimidate everyone else into falling in line.

Why do people look up to Anonymous again?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16115 on: September 10, 2012, 09:48:20 pm »

They took some websites down, I think "terrorism" might be just a bit much.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16116 on: September 10, 2012, 09:49:41 pm »

Metal they took down websites which lots of small businesses depend on who are probably still freaking out right now since thats their lifeline. Terrorism does fit.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16117 on: September 10, 2012, 09:49:55 pm »

Metal they took down websites which lots of small businesses depend on who are probably still freaking out right now since thats their lifeline. Terrorism does fit.
This.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16118 on: September 10, 2012, 09:50:46 pm »

No one ever said Anon was there to make a sound point, with not much in the way of stupid. Anon is there to mess up things and be generally confusing to everyone on tv news. Usually.
Its gonna be a sad day when network engineers say "fuck it" and poison their packets to track down Anon.
It'll end up as a sad day for both sides if one of those engies thinks of selling their finds.

So, basically a terrorist act. You aren't really hitting your real enemy, but doggone it let's potentially ruin the lives of a bunch of bystanders to intimidate everyone else into falling in line.

Why do people look up to Anonymous again?
People don't necessarily look up to anon as much as they go 'Well, cool/ok/huh/interesting/WTF/damnit, you idiots! [pick one], and then speculate one which side of the morality scale they've slid into this time, and how much grey is involved.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16119 on: September 10, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »

This.

Yeah. Pretty much. Terrorism is a harsh, but accurate, term.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16120 on: September 10, 2012, 09:53:25 pm »

Why does everyone lose all sense of scale and reason when the word "terrorist" gets thrown around?
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16121 on: September 10, 2012, 09:54:32 pm »

Why does everyone lose all sense of scale and reason when the word "terrorist" gets thrown around?
You forgot to stick cyber onto the front of that. People make even less sense with cybersecurity than normal security.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16122 on: September 10, 2012, 09:55:04 pm »

These the feckers interfering with my homebrew sites, I tolerate them for annoying stupid goverments. But my homebrew, thats too far!
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16123 on: September 10, 2012, 09:58:10 pm »

Except you are the only one here who seems to think calling it terrorism actually means something more then what the act was.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. But that does not change the fact that terrorism is a accurate word for it. A accurate word that no one else is freaking out about.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16124 on: September 10, 2012, 10:05:26 pm »

I for one welcome our new Anonymous overlords and their fascistic reign.

I'm kidding, if that needs to be said.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1073 1074 [1075] 1076 1077 ... 11040