Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10580 10581 [10582] 10583 10584 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14559792 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158715 on: November 16, 2021, 03:40:23 pm »

Better use some foldable knife and spork of some kind.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #158716 on: November 16, 2021, 06:06:01 pm »

Today...has been a day of WTFs.

Got t-boned while turning at an intersection going to work by a chick running the light. She hit the passenger side of my car probably doing what felt like 55 to me. Spun me 360 degrees in the intersection. Miraculously I'm unharmed. Every air bag along the passenger side went off. WTF #1 that I walked away from that. My car is totaled. She drove her's away from the scene. I want to say she was 100% at fault but I can't say for certain. I'm generally pretty good about being aware of traffic from all angles and I don't think today was an exception. But I guess if I had truly seen her and judged her speed correctly, I wouldn't have gone.

The cop apparently came to the same conclusion, because he decided to write me a citation for failure to yield since neither he nor witnesses could prove her speed or whether she ran the red. I get it, but that's WTF #2. Given the disposition of the accident and the lack of skid marks on her side, I think "no fault" might have been closer to the truth. My insurance is gonna love this one.

Because I don't deal well with sudden and unexpected life changes, my general strategy is to figure things out immediately so I don't wallow in self-pity or get anxiety from uncertainty. So I get home, since this happened about 2 blocks from where I live, call all my people, file my accident report and insurance claim. It's about 11am at this point and I clearly can't focus on anything else. So I start looking for a new car.

Anyone that's tried to buy a used car in America lately probably knows that the market is crazy. There are so few used cars out there they're all bringing in top dollar. Pretty much the worst time to buy a car.

And yet I find one I can easily live with pretty readily. A certified pre-owned 2019 Honda Civic with 23,000 miles for....$23k dollars. 1 owner. That's WTF #3. In this market, at this time, of that year, with that low of mileage, that car should be going for wwwaaayyyy more than that. Several thousand at least IMO. The only thing I hold against it is that it's a very vibrant shade of dark blue rather than black.

So I figure, let's hash out what it would take to buy this car. I'm not sitting on nearly enough cash myself to just buy it. So I called my bank and talked to a loan officer. Mind you, I've never known what my credit score is. Not even once in the 25+ years I've had one. I've had one whole loan my entire life, and I rarely ever use my credit cards. Cash and debit, and debt free is how I've always lived. I have always stayed well away from unnecessary loans. I don't own a house, haven't had a lot of the "adult" financial arrangements most people do. I didn't go out and shell out for a 3070 even though I could afford it. I wouldn't say I'm super frugal. But I'm very deliberate about spending more than a few hundred dollars in one sitting. So I was nervous to hear the truth about what the credit system thought of my life style, and learning again how to navigate debt and make smart financial choices like loan durations and what not. I'm not good with numbers unless I sit down and really work through it. If I'm honest, I dread it. This car marks the single most expensive thing I've ever considered purchasing.

The loan officer tells me my credit score is 804. WTF #4. I have a significantly above average credit score despite never following people's advice of using a credit card for daily stuff, maintaining a balance, taking out a loan I don't need etc..... I was expecting to hear high 500 at worst, a low 700 at best.

So getting a loan for the car was totally doable and yet wouldn't really help my credit out that much.

Lastly, and probably the most important bit. I have money in a trust fund that was set aside for me by my grandparents since before I was born. I've always endeavored to just leave that money alone. Mostly against a rainy day like this one and because, I dunno, I've always wanted and still want to feel like I'm self-sustaining for my lifestyle instead of needing the family to fill the gaps. On calling my dad to tell him the news, he said he was going to "give me my Christmas gift early." Which apparently was going to be a sizable disbursement from that trust fund for each of the kids (who are all now grown adults.) So I guess that's WTF #5, his timing. He's never done this before but he said he "felt we (the kids) seemed to need it." My brother disagreed, but his timing couldn't have been better for me.

I could take out a loan and just use a small amount of a disbursement and go into debt for.....I don't really have a good reason. I've got money that I've never felt is mine that I've almost never used. My brother and my cousin have pulled out 10x the amount of money from there that I have over the course of their lives. I could do this the "adult" way. But I don't have to. And so I won't.

So tomorrow I'm going to the dealership to put a down payment on my new car to buy it in full by week's end or next week, before it gets sucked up by someone else. Hopefully it's still there. That's WTF #6. Going from outright owning one car to another in the span of one day. That's fast even by my standards but when you see a good deal you don't drag your feet.

WTF #7 I guess would be the sales contact at the dealership trying to get me to finance despite me already considering it and telling them I wasn't interested. They were going to take a whole $500! off the car. That barely even covers the interest on the loan I was looking to take out. I guess because I've never had to go into debt to make ends meet these never seem like good deals to me. I think that's kinda the point.

What. A. Day. I'm sure the next few weeks will be turbulent as well.

As I stand back and look at things though, from every angle and now that the adrenaline and shock has kinda worn off.....I'm a stupidly lucky SOB. Make that WTF #8.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 06:37:03 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #158717 on: November 16, 2021, 06:37:06 pm »

If you haven't yet done so, go to the hospital. You very well may not be as unharmed as you think you are.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158718 on: November 16, 2021, 06:43:42 pm »

Yeah indeed, go see a doc just to be sure you didn't get whiplashed by the 360 spin.

My WTF is the price for used cars in the US.
Dollars are almost the same as euros. Over here you have a second hand car that will still run fine for 3-4 years for under 2000 euros.
23000 is nearly new car price (or even new car price for some cheap brands).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 06:45:35 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158719 on: November 16, 2021, 07:05:57 pm »

Well... congrats on still being alive and not in substantial debt, nenj. Those are both good things. Maybe go burn some incense at your grandparents' graves (or take them out for a meal or whatever if they're still alive, I guess) or somethin', I'unno.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158720 on: November 16, 2021, 07:33:53 pm »

Yeah indeed, go see a doc just to be sure you didn't get whiplashed by the 360 spin.

My WTF is the price for used cars in the US.
Dollars are almost the same as euros. Over here you have a second hand car that will still run fine for 3-4 years for under 2000 euros.
23000 is nearly new car price (or even new car price for some cheap brands).

When I was in the states (5ish years ago), used cars were dirt cheap. My mother drove a van she picked up for $400 for about 3 years before repairing it cost more than just buying another clunker. That was out in the boonies of Wisconsin, though - Not surprising the crippled economy has sky-rocketed that market. You need a car to work in the US - those who lost their jobs could probably sacrifice the wheels for a short injection of cash. Those who found a job that doesn't pay poverty wages are likely willing to invest a bit more in a car.

Glad to hear you're alive and well, nenjin. Nice grab on a newish car.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158721 on: November 16, 2021, 07:39:01 pm »

Oh, you can still get junkers for sub $1k pretty easily stateside if you're able to travel around a bit beforehand and transport accordingly, maybe something almost approaching reasonable at under 15k.

... you just probably don't want to, because if they're going for that cheap they're going for that cheap for a damn good reason, and it's probably not a good reason you want to be trying to drive around on :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #158722 on: November 16, 2021, 08:10:12 pm »

You really can't get things that cheap most places. When I was looking for a car a few months ago it was around $2K for cars in "Needs rebuild" condition, and the 2010 Ford Fusion I bought went for $6K.

The global electronics shortage has crippled new car manufacturing, so people are hoovering up all the recent model used cars instead. And the people who would have bought those go for a bit older ones, and the ones that would have bought those...
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #158723 on: November 16, 2021, 08:15:22 pm »

Shit, that's some day, Nenj. Glad you're well, or at least coping.

Stick shift is usually cheap stateside, if you can drive that!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158724 on: November 16, 2021, 08:55:10 pm »

Yeah, acknowledged I could just get a beater from anywhere 4k to 10k, largely on my own savings.

But a lot of things stop me.

-I don't *need* to. I've got the flexibility of not making a dire choice just to save money. I already had a long talk with my brother about taking out a loan rather than using the family money. Right now, feeling sorry for myself, I'm inclined to take the path of least resistance even though it's not the maximum financial responsibility choice.
-I've driven lots of beaters in my life and I don't really safe in them anymore. I drove a salvaged Honda for years that didn't go in a straight line without serious grip on the steering wheel. I think I'm done paying to inherit someone else's jank quite like that.
-I'm turning 40 next month and, vaingloriously, don't feel like driving a piece of shit anymore as an adult. :P
-It's 2x the price of the last car I bought, and in a normal market I'd have been like "let me find something a few years older with similar mileage." But stuff at 50k to 80k miles are still going for $16k roughly. If I go even higher mileage and older cars I can get it down to like 10k. Below that, I'm looking at a serious beater.

My whole life I've always guilted myself into settling for much less so I could say I paid for it myself. My last car I bought with like 5 years worth of savings from my job and just a pinch of help from the fam. And that was looking to replace an already working car. This time, with my car smashed out from under me.....nah. We're not cheaping out this time so I can save some money for a day down the road that I don't know what it looks like. And I'll get this sumbitch fully insured so if some crazy shit happens again I can actually get some replacement value.

And to put used car prices into perspective....this Civic I'm looking at in 2019 had an MSRP of $21k. It's gotten MORE expensive for a USED car with 20k miles on it in 2 years. I don't know if that's unheard of, but the used car market is so tight the cars have literally appreciated in value. For a good everyone says only depreciates. If the used car market weren't all jacked, this thing could easily go anywhere from $18k to $20k.

Shit, that's some day, Nenj. Glad you're well, or at least coping.

Stick shift is usually cheap stateside, if you can drive that!

I can drive stick, just after 5 years of an automatic I think I'm a better *hah* driver without the temptation to speed using a manual.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:04:51 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158725 on: November 16, 2021, 09:09:42 pm »

Man now I'm second guessing myself. I looked.....the goddamn 2022 Honda Civic Sport is......$24,315. That's like $1300 more expensive than a used car 2 years older with 20k miles. Fuck if I'm going to spend this kind of money, maybe I should buy it new.

Might be time to rethink things.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158726 on: November 16, 2021, 10:46:31 pm »

Electric vehicles are cheaper than gas right now - maintenance costs are lower thanks to not running on constant controlled explosions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158727 on: November 16, 2021, 11:07:57 pm »

Availability is a thing though, and I don't know if I can wait weeks to have a car back. A casual glance says that they're coming in above the same year of gas vehicles in price. These are hybrids though. The cheapest used electric car I found comes in at the same price as the used Honda I'm thinking about getting. Doesn't seem any cheaper at least for my locale.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 11:14:18 pm by nenjin »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158728 on: November 17, 2021, 12:22:57 am »

(Cheaper in the long term, I mean - but yeah, availability and setting up a home-charging station might slow things down)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158729 on: November 17, 2021, 05:36:00 am »

For 1300 more dollars, I'd say, just treat yourself to a new car for your 40th birthday.

If you were in Europe, I'd say, buy electric, or you'll be forced to bring your car to the scrapheap within 10 years, because combustion engines will be forbidden around 2030
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 10580 10581 [10582] 10583 10584 ... 11040