Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7810 7811 [7812] 7813 7814 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14450778 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117165 on: January 25, 2017, 04:55:14 am »

Don't you know you can't disagree with anyone on the internet?

Pfft, amateur...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117166 on: January 25, 2017, 06:20:22 am »

Why have I never considered working for a bank before? Great hours and decent pay for an entry-level position.

I've never liked banks, I guess that's why... being charged £30 for going overdrawn 27p will probably be a major gripe I have for the rest of my life. Ah well. The joys of having to get a job.

Because you are a good person and don't want to be part of the problem.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117167 on: January 25, 2017, 06:53:17 am »

I can't tell if the guy is trolling me

Given his latest tirade is on how Tycoon games aren't simulation. Given they are specifically simulations O_o

Well MOST of them anyhow.

I dunno I had a longer reply but somehow correcting someone on every little thing and spelling things out feels like giving in to stupid arguments.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117168 on: January 25, 2017, 07:06:42 am »

Well I know one of the OpenTTD devs is always quick to point out it's not a simulator.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117169 on: January 25, 2017, 08:11:38 am »

Well I know one of the OpenTTD devs is always quick to point out it's not a simulator.

Yeah but that is likely just a defense mechanism, snobbery, or more a reflection on what they consider important for their game which doesn't exactly align to what they believe is involved.

It wouldn't be the first or last time a creator has categorically stated that their product... what the thing that it was... for those reasons.

I wish I could remember some examples. The closest I can remember is some sort of sci-fi game, book, or movie that the creator contented wasn't sci-fi mostly due to the stigma... but that is TOO vague to even be considered true.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117170 on: January 25, 2017, 08:12:50 am »

Terry Pratchet held that all of his books were fantasy. Even the ones that very much looked like Scifi.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117171 on: January 25, 2017, 09:32:50 am »

Today, the Russian Duma votes on a change of law, which demotes beating your wife from a criminal offense to just a misdemeanor.
If the law passes, men will no longer need to go to prison if they beat their wife, the maximum sentence will be a fine of 470 euros.

Putin is in favour, so is the Church. The general Russian public seems unaware. a Dutch journalist in Russia, interviewing random ladies in hairdress saloons found out that only about 1 out of 4 women have even heard of the proposed change. "When a man hits you, you know he loves you", he quotes one lady.

inb4 the amount of scars on your wife becomes a status symbol for wealth
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:35:41 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117172 on: January 25, 2017, 09:38:47 am »

Today, the Russian Duma votes on a change of law, which demotes beating your wife from a criminal offense to just a misdemeanor.
If the law passes, men will no longer need to go to prison if they beat their wife, the maximum sentence will be a fine of 470 euros.

Putin is in favour, so is the Church. The general Russian public seems unaware. a Dutch journalist in Russia, interviewing random ladies in hairdress saloons found out that only about 1 out of 4 women have even heard of the proposed change. "When a man hits you, you know he loves you", he quotes one lady.

I read this and made one of those faces. Y'know, the one you make when you hear something so appallingly stupid you think it couldn't possibly happen, but you are forced to realize that it is indeed happening.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117173 on: January 25, 2017, 09:39:59 am »

I dunno I have a feeling there is a bit more to that law then what we see there.

Not that it cannot be a bad law... so much that I think they likely still separate different forms of abuse and are likely making "lighter" forms of abuse misdemeanors.

So if you slap your wife, you're not going to jail.

Now, that has problems in it of itself (America works that way a lot of the time too >_>) and even then I could be entirely wrong and this IS an insane law... I just need, like, actual evidence right now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:42:37 am by Neonivek »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117174 on: January 25, 2017, 09:43:21 am »

Sadly, I think there isn't. Pehaps there's some component of 'reducing the load on the criminal justice system', but from what I've heard from the various Russians living here in the Netherlands that I've met with, Russian family relationships are still very .. conservative paternal .. in a lot of places, as in, the man is boss, the wife's task is to please the man, so this doesn't even surprise me.

As for evidence, I could link the paywalled Volkskrant article but I doubt that'd be helpful.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/vrouw-slaan-kost-rus-hooguit-470-euro~a4452890/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:45:54 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117175 on: January 25, 2017, 09:50:35 am »

Well it is more that beating your wife encompasses everything from being cold... to murdering her with your fists and stringing up her body as a puppet to entertain the town children.

There is sort of a range here and I want to know how far into crazy town this is.

Especially since, as I said, America kind of functions this way (In that cops are asked to look the other way in cases of domestic violence a lot of the time).
-Ok maybe not anymore. There was a time!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117176 on: January 25, 2017, 12:11:54 pm »

Sadly, I think there isn't.
And you'd be wrong. I always read the actual law involved when this type of news come along, unlike some... other panickers around the Internets, and the reduction on penalty applies only if it's the first time you've done it, if there's no injuries, and if you didn't use any kind of object as a weapon. Second time, any injuries or used a chair in the process? Criminal offence, two years of jail time. Given that domestic violence tends to be not just a "one-off" event, it's still very much a crime to beat your wife.

So yeah, clickbait be clickbait.
._.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #117177 on: January 25, 2017, 12:22:01 pm »

yea sorry.

I was a traitor without a nightkill who lost his team by D2.  I then preceded to make it to lylo, without a NK, and almost win.

It was a soulcrushing 13 player, 9 day game.   For reference thats about twice as long as it should usually have taken.

Pedit:

AND OHH DID I MENTION THERE WERE 2 ICs??!!  GAAAHAH

Sounds like you acquitted yourself quite well!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117178 on: January 25, 2017, 01:40:56 pm »

Not to beat a dead horse (well, yes), but there was a new update of That Which Sleeps, in which the dev claims that he's still, well, devving, and that it was all a misunderstanding. Little proof so far tho...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117179 on: January 25, 2017, 01:44:23 pm »

He's been immersing himself in the spirit of the game by sleeping a lot
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 7810 7811 [7812] 7813 7814 ... 11040