Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7805 7806 [7807] 7808 7809 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455858 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117090 on: January 23, 2017, 12:00:34 pm »

Ok want to know the most insane thing about Harry Potter in my mind and kind of the big reason I questioned how good Hogwarts was... In the first book?

Detention involves going to a wood brimming with dangerous monsters!

Honestly I originally justified it in that Hagrid was overblowing the danger of these woods as part of the punishment and while MAYBE there might be something... Hagrid would be able to deal with it easily.

But NOPE! Those woods are revealed to be more and more dangerous every book.

---

I seriously wonder where Hogwarts gets its reputation... Maybe all the other magical schools have like a 50% survival rate.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117091 on: January 23, 2017, 12:06:50 pm »

The live streaming phenomenon is quite worrying. It does not bode well at all that cruel sex crime has become something that garners respect for some people. I think Facebook's responsibility is comparatively small. It could have been any other service. The only reason Facebook is taking the majority of the heat is that it is an easy target for blame, and that the rest of the case would be a much more knotty business to get involved in.

I worry most about the eventual punishment. This is a vital moment for making an example, and I fear it will be bungled and lost. Depending on their ethnicity, status and the mood of the court, they can get off awfully light. And, if the need to broadcast themselves is any indication, they will likely be treated like heroes amongst their own sort when they are released. Hell, it does not seem impossible at all that they would be the toast of the prison, too, if this is the state of affairs.
I cannot work out at all what demographic they could be part of, but I fear that is because this acceptance, this endorsement, of sex crime is spreading beyond just a few culture pockets. And that is what worries me the most. That there is a growing segment of society that seems to think that being a rapist is a perfectly agreeable thing to be. And it is difficult to re-introduce shame into an environment where it has been lost.
I do wish there was some sort of branding initiative, gathering and publishing the identity of the audience and those endorsing these broadcasts. They can jolly well have to live with the consequences of their special interests. It would do them and society good.

No, Facebook is not the true issue here. The true crux of it is that people like this are allowed to live their lives free of the long-term consequence for their actions. That they are so hideously degenerated that they are willing and prepared to broadcast live sex crime on the internet, and that their equally degenerated audience can easily join in as audience without fear. Indeed, Facebook being turned into the scape goat is part of the problem. Discussing Facebook's responsibilites, rather than the moral and legal decay of Sweden, the ineffectual state of the laws and the long-term consequences of abolishing shame and punishment from the legal process.
The worst part of it is that I bloody well thought that it would only be a matter of time. What worries me now is the quite open possibility of live broadcast sex crime becoming some sort of payed service. With so little risk and evidently such a demand, I doubt it will be long. Particularly not under the current course.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117092 on: January 23, 2017, 12:19:04 pm »

A couple of weeks ago, the rear tire of my bicycle was flat. Last week found the culprit, a tack embedded in the tire. Just now, attempted to apply a patch to the inner tube. Took nearly half an hour to remove both the tire and inner tube, including discovering that in order to remove either completely, I have to take the entire rim off. That task was made impossible by the extremely rusted bolts(even after the application of lubricant), so I had to settle to working around the rim. Took nearly another half-hour to find what might have been the puncture(and I'm not 100% sure it was). Discovered I had purchased the crappiest duct tape there ever was, since it just wouldn't stick. Took almost another half an hour getting the tube into the tire and the tire onto the rim.

Inflated it, then took the pump back inside. When I returned, the tire was already flat again. Looks like I'm going to have to pay a professional to replace it. And to top it all off, I lost the cap for the inner tube's nozzle, though I guess that doesn't matter much if I'm going to have it replaced.

I seriously wonder where Hogwarts gets its reputation... Maybe all the other magical schools have like a 50% survival rate.
Hagrid, and possibly a barely-respected treaty with the centaur herd, was probably the only thing making the forest "safe" - and Hagrid is certainly responsible for it becoming even more dangerous, seeing as he put together a mating pair of giant fucking spiders, resulting in a massive colony - the patriarch of whom flat out declared that they avoided attacking people out of respect for Hagrid, an order rescinded following that patriarch's death. Apparently there was also a pack of werewolves living there. Giving the threat that werewolves like Greyback posed to children, and how werewolves were supposed to be an allegory to pedophiles, you'd think Dumbledore would be a bit more intelligent about letting them live so close a to a school.

That said, prior to the end of the first book(Quirrel) and Voldemort's resurrection halfway through the series(Cedric), there's literally been only one in-school fatality in 50 years(Myrtle)... caused by Voldemort.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117093 on: January 23, 2017, 12:22:55 pm »

If I were Basque I would claim sovereign citizenhood on the basis of Universal Nobility, and then lean back on saying I thus have a cultural right to be a free man.

But the rights of nobility as a whole were brought down after the Carlist Wars*. Besides, Basque Universal Nobility did not mean that you could do whatever they want. The old foruak involved duties as well as priviledges. Granted, not many duties (something something you have to obey your king of he calls you to war, but only if said war is waged in Basque lands which specifically means between so-and-so trees, otherwise you dont have to do jackshit if he doesn't pay you), but the priviledges werent by themselves very much. Most notably, you might be noble by default, but this basically meant  that you had the right to bear arms, and were tax-exempted. It didnt actually mean that you owned anything, and in fact most didn't because  Basque foruak also determined that the land (and therefore any higher title) was inherited exclusively by the eldest male heir, thus everyone  else was hung up to dry.  It did mean, however, that you had a very good start if you wanted to purse a career in the army and/or as a civil servant.

*worth noting, however, that while nobility as a social class doesn't exist anymore in a meaningful way, the Basque Country and Navarra do have a special status in regards to self-goverment.

I didn 't mean to say it would work, because Sovereign Citizen stuff just doesn't, I was just thoughtwandering about from which angle I would start if it was me. Claiming that (subservient) citizenship under the State is just the modern version of feodality, and as Basque you have a natural right (because of Universal Nobility that, though it has been repealed, was recognised by the Spanish state at the time of integration) to be a Free Man and choose your own allegiances. And if they don't let you they are culturally repressing your culture.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117094 on: January 23, 2017, 12:26:01 pm »

I am going to assume by sex crime you mean sex crime and not something like a bad joke (as some people like to hyberbole about) or simply having different preferences. Since I remember how one person wanted to ban tea bagging in videogames as a sex crime... But benefit of the doubt.

But the thing about the internet isn't that it is suddenly creating this but rather it gives people an avenue to express it with people who are more spread out. So instead of maybe one "degenerate" for a small village of 100... You can get all the villages together for 100 to congregate in one location.

The fascination with "degeneracy" is an incredibly old one that you see all the time. Heck, it is biblical!, the sexcapades written right into the bible aren't wrought with descriptions of tawdry filthy events but given pageantry and appeal.

As well another thing that happens is that people do not realize the implications of what they see. Very few trolls, for example, honestly want to hurt the people they harass... Yet the disconnect prevents them from realizing what they are doing in its entirety.

As well the shame you are often referring to tended to take the form of overbearing near puritan levels of control over people's everyday life. Where degeneracy was often just not living the way. It is a system that was far more destructive then any of this facebook. Double bonus is that the shame system DID NOT prevent the sort of degeneracy you are referring to, it made it that much more secret and because of that it often made it MORE prevalent.

For example Japan is a shame society (relatively speaking) and it has HORRIBLE issues with Sex Crime. It does everything you are asking for Silverthrone including harsh penalties, intense shame, and even the public will get right into the bashing of offenders... Yet that never got it to go away.

That said, prior to the end of the first book(Quirrel) and Voldemort's resurrection halfway through the series(Cedric), there's literally been only one in-school fatality in 50 years(Myrtle)... caused by Voldemort.

Yeah I am calling it... They had more fatalities in those 50 years... They just have been... swept under the rug. While Myrtle was a murder and thus too public to... get rid of... :P

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117095 on: January 23, 2017, 12:29:19 pm »

Moscow residents can be legally prohibited from keeping bears, lions and other large predators at their homes. Zoya Zotova, chairman of Moscow Duma on environmental policies told to a correspondent of "Rossiyskaya Gazeta" that this rule could be included into city 'Wildlife' bill.

"I stress that we are talking only about the wild animals here - said Zotova - Rumors that the ban includes large dogs is, of course, misinformation".

MPs intend to minimize the removal of wild animals from their natural habitats by this draft of 'Wildlife' bill. It includes assumed prohibition of keeping large predators in the apartments...
A horrible crime of Russian occupation administration against Russian nation is about to occur!
._.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117096 on: January 23, 2017, 12:32:26 pm »

Re: Hogwarts murders:

[obliviate]murder[/obliviate]
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #117097 on: January 23, 2017, 01:13:29 pm »

Yes? Speak up. You shouldn't make a post without any content.

(:P)
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117098 on: January 23, 2017, 01:16:45 pm »

Yes? Speak up. You shouldn't make a post without any content.

(:P)

Nitwit. Oddment. Blubber. Tweak.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117099 on: January 23, 2017, 01:53:02 pm »

I am going to assume by sex crime you mean sex crime and not something like a bad joke (as some people like to hyberbole about) or simply having different preferences. Since I remember how one person wanted to ban tea bagging in videogames as a sex crime... But benefit of the doubt.

Well, yes, that seems to be a reasonable assumption... I do not think I referenced any of those examples, but to be clarify; with sex crimes, I mean various form of rape. Someone being involved without wanting to.

But the thing about the internet isn't that it is suddenly creating this but rather it gives people an avenue to express it with people who are more spread out. So instead of maybe one "degenerate" for a small village of 100... You can get all the villages together for 100 to congregate in one location.

The fascination with "degeneracy" is an incredibly old one that you see all the time. Heck, it is biblical!, the sexcapades written right into the bible aren't wrought with descriptions of tawdry filthy events but given pageantry and appeal.

As well another thing that happens is that people do not realize the implications of what they see. Very few trolls, for example, honestly want to hurt the people they harass... Yet the disconnect prevents them from realizing what they are doing in its entirety.

As well the shame you are often referring to tended to take the form of overbearing near puritan levels of control over people's everyday life. Where degeneracy was often just not living the way. It is a system that was far more destructive then any of this facebook. Double bonus is that the shame system DID NOT prevent the sort of degeneracy you are referring to, it made it that much more secret and because of that it often made it MORE prevalent.

For example Japan is a shame society (relatively speaking) and it has HORRIBLE issues with Sex Crime. It does everything you are asking for Silverthrone including harsh penalties, intense shame, and even the public will get right into the bashing of offenders... Yet that never got it to go away.

There is, of course, a matter of too much. Believe it or not, I am not proposing a full transplant of the Japanese honour and shame-culture. Shame as a discouragement is not the only thing that will help, naturally. There is a lot more at work, which the Japanese example illustrates. But I would argue that there is also a case when there is too little shame, when it is not applied where it ought to be. Knowing that those actions will 'stick', that will influence how one is treated and reguarded, is a powerful deterrent, where basic empathy and respect obviously fail in some individuals. knowing that chances are good that those actions will not stick, that it will just be business as usual once the court process is completed, means that deterrent is lost. It is a splendid principle, in itself: once justice has been done, it is done, and the perpetrator is free to resume their life. But for cases of simple cruelty, such as this, I do think that it is far too generous to afford, since it means the loss of a very powerful deterrent and consequence.

I also worry that a lack of shame and consequence will help to normalise sexual abuse further. It will, of course, never go away, and it is fair to suspect that a tightened grip might simply frighten it underground. It will, also, never be entirely accepted, either. Well. It is very unlikely, at least. But, shame is a very important part in establishing what is considered right and what is not. Committing, and endorsing, this sort of crime is wrong, and being shamed for doing either would re-inforce it.

Some of the audience in these scenarios might very well be the sort that do not actually and honestly wish that harm on someone else, but are too disconnected to reflect properly on what they are seeing, doing and saying. That is very true. But I still believe that it being connected to shame would help. That sort of very concrete shame about having done something very wrong, something concrete in a disconnected life, would help cause some reflection.
Naturally, is is not a new thing at all. It is not caused by the internet; it happens because the internet is there. However, it is a problem, and a problem that appears to be growing. Attitudes are changing, disconnection does not help, and neither, I believe, does the lack of concrete consequences. It is not a positive change, and ought to be resisted.

I do agree that I were awfully categorical with my statements. I "wish" for that registry in the same I "wish" for an EU task force to be deployed in the middle east, for instance. That is, not really, when it comes down to it. It's a simple wish, outwardly agreeable to me, until examined closer. It starts to fall apart when taken into question. Luckily, I suppose, neither is very likely.

To provide something... Lighter to the thread; I gave haggis a try, and I think I have found a new favourite. It is lovely. The reason why it is a 'WTF' is that it is not at all as nasty as advertised. It is a fairly restrained and normal dish. It is just a little sack filled with meat, albeit delicious. I thought there would be more bits, chunks and membranes. I have eaten stranger things in my days.

Haggis; heartily recommended. A lot less nasty than described. Dense as a brick, however. Very, very filling.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #117100 on: January 23, 2017, 02:24:32 pm »

Duennr jab frg d'ap m! Evbbp upi eval hax mv!

(Er'xrm dao xuub lroo'oo'e xf ab. Nepcyjd drpprp! Er'xrm co jrml'nn'e yr olp'ae yd. Maeb'oo! Er'xrm dao cbo'py'e a m'm'ycj jribcyrda; ape cbyr yd. Ydp'aev.)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:31:32 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117101 on: January 23, 2017, 02:38:53 pm »

i'm having a stroke, apparently. ^
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #117102 on: January 23, 2017, 02:51:29 pm »

BiQt7ThkR 87SPYAtv dXuGnzTqBcnG5o mqWm Tiq9 eZAEEw 8aDvduJeU C7u8P Tiq9 eViN8TvLk6wVzHeunCxJV 6kpPD8CvSN CeXZXkTQkPwh WTNdRK tkN8TvLk6wVzHeunCxJV cBUzrP5 sFwKo Lw39 rSEYuP4XrUtPrvJeXZXkTQkPwh WFwh tBJiWmy63Qb4GXHd vvRkyTMCNV 6kpP3f8 WTNdRK tBJiWm 6spT eZj6pAUutPrvJeU CgipvHnLz Pjhxx c63Qb4GXHd S9SV VWjTNdRK sFwKo Lw39 rSqrg2 wuSwEo6spT eViN8TvLk6wVzHeunCxJV 6spT eZj6pAUutu8KgonLc CgipvHnLc CeXuMAFpWW Pn6ZRqywhkR 8aDvduJeXZXkTQkPwh tkN8TB 6C542 wu9F gXxazFb MdhNzMT3 8TB 8pPD8CvSN C7u8K sBiQt7ThkR 8T
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117103 on: January 23, 2017, 02:57:07 pm »

Gensundheit.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW