Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7348 7349 [7350] 7351 7352 ... 11003

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13654305 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #110235 on: October 02, 2016, 03:15:47 pm »

Tell that to Japan and Italy.

Anyway, you gave a blanket claim - anti gayness has no argument outside of religion.

Except that there are non-religious arguments.

There are. But I doubt most would stand up in a court of law.
They probably could, depending on where you were. Depending on population problems/disease rates. Though for the latter, protection would probably be more advisable than an outright ban.

That it shouldn't be made illegal is clear morally speaking. To say, as you were, that the reasons are purely religious is where I find fault. Religion is only part.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110236 on: October 02, 2016, 03:16:26 pm »

Anyway, you gave a blanket claim - anti gayness has no argument outside of religion.

That's true, there exists one argument... of a sort...
If the chances of being gay are truly 1 in 10, we're talking a 10% reduction in births (assuming that, without gay marriage, gay people are 100% willing to breed with the opposite gender).  Which is significant but hardly disastrous, even in the VERY few countries which have a desperate need for more people.

In the midst of a refugee crisis.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #110237 on: October 02, 2016, 03:16:45 pm »

I just laugh at people who are anti-gay outside of religious reason because they are slaves to our DNA.

Just as Sir Ian McKellen said "Who are you? Why are you in my house?"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110238 on: October 02, 2016, 03:17:09 pm »

It appears you are implying governments have a right to legislate upon the sex lives of their citizens.

This being directed at Dwarfy.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110239 on: October 02, 2016, 03:18:27 pm »

... you do realize that the lifespan would basically make those behavior changes unnoticeable? I mean, there's not much you can do in two seconds while staring down a raging Khornate Berzerker coming your way.

1 tear out the pin from krak grenade
2 yell for the emperor
3 die in his name
4 take the enemy with you

That is pretty much.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110240 on: October 02, 2016, 03:19:27 pm »

It appears you are implying governments have a right to legislate upon the sex lives of their citizens.

I imply no such thing. The opposite, in fact, with my mention of morality.

I do say that there are times and places in which that has happened.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #110241 on: October 02, 2016, 03:19:41 pm »

Interesting thing raised there, church and state, because there isn't a totally explicit separation between church and state, especially around marriage (and especially especially in fayre England, thanks to Henry VIII).

Yeah, but US MURRICANS have a pretty explicit separation. Some have argued that it only means that the government cannot control religion, not the other way around; that's idiotic IMO. It was established to prevent a state religion from arising. Making laws based on a particular religious text would be exactly what the clause was put in to prevent. That is, unless I messed up my history really badly.

I'm personally against gay marriage, because marriage is pretty much a collection of interpretations and customs around a magic book, and I don't see why the users of the magic book should have to change their interpretation to a dodgier one just because the state says so. I also don't see that the state should recognise these "marriage" things done by some priest as legally significant. People want to have the legal/economic status of a "married" couple? Fine, let them get a civil partnership. The state should not involve ceremonies when making laws.

Oh, I'm not claiming that religious institutions should be required to permit homosexual marriages! That would be a violation of the 1st Amendment! I'd personally prefer it if civil unions took on all rights that marriages have, and then the state stopped doing marriages, but as long as the state is part of civil marriages, it should do so Constitutionally.

There are. But I doubt most would stand up in a court of law.
They probably could, depending on where you were. Depending on population problems/disease rates. Though for the latter, protection would probably be more advisable than an outright ban.

That it shouldn't be made illegal is clear morally speaking. To say, as you were, that the reasons are purely religious is where I find fault. Religion is only part.

Okay, I agree. I was wrong. Religion is a significant part, but only a part, yeah.

I just laugh at people who are anti-gay outside of religious reason because they are slaves to our DNA.

Hah! Good reference.

No, he's not. He's saying that there are secular arguments, not that he agrees with them; just that they exist.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110242 on: October 02, 2016, 03:22:33 pm »

No, he's not. He's saying that there are secular arguments, not that he agrees with them; just that they exist.

Thank you.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #110243 on: October 02, 2016, 03:23:32 pm »

Filthy secular ninja. :P
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110244 on: October 02, 2016, 03:24:51 pm »

Is this conversation about religion, population growth, or gayness?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110245 on: October 02, 2016, 03:25:08 pm »

Jes' makin' sure. Didn't want to launch into a diatribe against someone holding that position if that position wasn't being forwarded, hence my use of the word "appears" :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #110246 on: October 02, 2016, 03:26:00 pm »

Yes, I think.

:P All of the above to some extent, as far as I can tell.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110247 on: October 02, 2016, 03:27:09 pm »

Heh, yeah.

Hah! Good reference.
I'm sorry but I can't not provide XKCD refrance links
https://xkcd.com/163/
help
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #110248 on: October 02, 2016, 03:47:32 pm »

Yes.

Also, just to clarify, when Dwarfy said he was against gay marriage, he didn't mean "Those f*** are an abomination against God and man!" He meant "The state has no place in religion, and so shouldn't do anything with marriage. Just let anyone who wants a civil union have one." Presumably civil unions would expand to carry all the rights marriages now do.

Also, I just have to laugh whenever anybody tries to do an ad absurdum with tables or dogs. If you want to marry a table, fine by me. An astute citizen might be able to point out the inherent difference between "a union between two citizens" and "a union between a citizen and property of said citizen."

Edit: Apparently Dwarfy and NJW are the same person. *facepalm*
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:14:10 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110249 on: October 02, 2016, 03:51:20 pm »

That's a good memory you've got there. I don't remember arguing that for a while, at least.

Arguing for religion gives me heart burn :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7348 7349 [7350] 7351 7352 ... 11003