Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7347 7348 [7349] 7350 7351 ... 11003

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13654257 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #110220 on: October 02, 2016, 01:45:40 pm »

Hah, I thought Frumple was talking about Aquinas's take on homosexuality.

Also, I must have taken it from SM unconsciously and created an alternative etymology from DC:SS, because I am a huge SM fan.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110221 on: October 02, 2016, 01:46:55 pm »

Interesting thing raised there, church and state, because there isn't a totally explicit separation between church and state, especially around marriage (and especially especially in fayre England, thanks to Henry VIII).

I'm personally against gay marriage, because marriage is pretty much a collection of interpretations and customs around a magic book, and I don't see why the users of the magic book should have to change their interpretation to a dodgier one just because the state says so. I also don't see that the state should recognise these "marriage" things done by some priest as legally significant. People want to have the legal/economic status of a "married" couple? Fine, let them get a civil partnership. The state should not involve ceremonies when making laws.
One wheel short of a wagon

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110222 on: October 02, 2016, 01:50:31 pm »

There's not a single non-religious argument against it.
Wait, what? Yes there are O.o

Getting sent to the nearby Wendy's restaurant to pilfer straws. Because my mom's ex-boyfriend ran out.
She is still with him?!

Also, what does he need the straws for? Snorting cocaine?
Somehow from all we've heard about this guy, I doubt he can afford that sort of thing. :P
Unless he's borrowed money from his ex or started selling her stuff or something... that wouldn't be too surprising.    

Bonus WTF: I can't seem to get back to sleep and I have no idea why. Only reason I can think of are the bugs/mites that have been infesting the house lately (probably due to improper food disposal by my housemates), but they aren't active at this time as far as I can tell.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110223 on: October 02, 2016, 01:52:40 pm »

Interesting thing raised there, church and state, because there isn't a totally explicit separation between church and state, especially around marriage (and especially especially in fayre England, thanks to Henry VIII).

I'm personally against gay marriage, because marriage is pretty much a collection of interpretations and customs around a magic book, and I don't see why the users of the magic book should have to change their interpretation to a dodgier one just because the state says so. I also don't see that the state should recognise these "marriage" things done by some priest as legally significant. People want to have the legal/economic status of a "married" couple? Fine, let them get a civil partnership. The state should not involve ceremonies when making laws.

The state doesn't recognize marriages done by a priest/religious rep. This is why you need to sign papers to say you're married, for it to be recognized legally.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110224 on: October 02, 2016, 01:55:36 pm »

@NJW2000
I don't agree with forcing churches to change their backward ideas, no.  I mean, a *lot* of churches are happy to perform gay services.  And if they don't want to, that's their choice.
(and they should all be taxed as such but eh)

The root problem is that marriage is acknowledged by the government at all.  It should *only* handle civil unions, which might incidentally involve a marriage service if desired.
But pragmatically the answer is for the government to stop discriminating against certain types of marriage, when it already allowed homosexual unions.  The distinction was the government taking an unnecessary stance against us.

@Dozebôm Lolumzalìs
*high five* That's awesome that it was likely SM after all!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #110225 on: October 02, 2016, 02:19:19 pm »

DARWINIAN GAMEPLAY.

I couldn't stop thinking of the AGP and the ideas people had for WH40k Imperial Guard FPS.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110226 on: October 02, 2016, 02:35:36 pm »

DARWINIAN GAMEPLAY.

I couldn't stop thinking of the AGP and the ideas people had for WH40k Imperial Guard FPS.
...okay, that was actually pretty neat. All it really needs for it to be an Imperial Guard FPS is to include commissars screaming, lasers flying, maybe a titan stomping around in the background.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #110227 on: October 02, 2016, 02:49:31 pm »

There's not a single non-religious argument against it.
Wait, what? Yes there are O.o

Getting sent to the nearby Wendy's restaurant to pilfer straws. Because my mom's ex-boyfriend ran out.
She is still with him?!

Also, what does he need the straws for? Snorting cocaine?
Somehow from all we've heard about this guy, I doubt he can afford that sort of thing. :P
Unless he's borrowed money from his ex or started selling her stuff or something... that wouldn't be too surprising.    

Bonus WTF: I can't seem to get back to sleep and I have no idea why. Only reason I can think of are the bugs/mites that have been infesting the house lately (probably due to improper food disposal by my housemates), but they aren't active at this time as far as I can tell.

Hmm. Really? I haven't heard any, but that could be because I live in a largely Christian town - for most people, the Bible is a trustworthy source.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #110228 on: October 02, 2016, 02:51:19 pm »

Evolutionary speaking it isn't the best idea. Given our population, it's supportable though.

Transmission of diseases isn't helped either.

Neither is a reason to outlaw it, but they are negatives.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #110229 on: October 02, 2016, 02:52:13 pm »

It's not like humans are worrying about underpopulation.
Sigtext!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110230 on: October 02, 2016, 02:52:49 pm »

I've mostly just heard "but we need more babies!!".  Which, unless you're Australian, is pretty dumb (and even then...)
DARWINIAN GAMEPLAY.

..Yeah uh, if nothing else, that was an impressive bit of promotion.
I hope "that" is actually a mechanic, even just the name/year (I mean they didn't all have voiceovers).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #110231 on: October 02, 2016, 02:54:23 pm »

Tell that to Japan and Italy.

Anyway, you gave a blanket claim - anti gayness has no argument outside of religion.

Except that there are non-religious arguments.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #110232 on: October 02, 2016, 03:08:03 pm »

DARWINIAN GAMEPLAY.

...okay, that was actually pretty neat. All it really needs for it to be an Imperial Guard FPS is to include commissars screaming, lasers flying, maybe a titan stomping around in the background.
Well, that and the grey knights/inquisition coming after your obviously chaos tainted bodyhopping behind. Would be the one problem with trying to theme it as an IG FPS -- the gameplay would be an incredibly huge warning sign to imperial... well, just about everything. Random guardsmen changing behavior patterns after one of them dies? Particularly if the patterns are much like the dead one previously exhibited? I'm not saying they'd exterminatus the planet immediately, but the option would probably end up on the table pretty quick.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #110233 on: October 02, 2016, 03:10:30 pm »

Tell that to Japan and Italy.

Anyway, you gave a blanket claim - anti gayness has no argument outside of religion.

Except that there are non-religious arguments.

There are. But I doubt most would stand up in a court of law.
Sigtext!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #110234 on: October 02, 2016, 03:11:33 pm »

... you do realize that the lifespan would basically make those behavior changes unnoticeable? I mean, there's not much you can do in two seconds while staring down a raging Khornate Berzerker coming your way.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 7347 7348 [7349] 7350 7351 ... 11003