Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6881 6882 [6883] 6884 6885 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14468173 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #103230 on: May 30, 2016, 12:37:14 am »

Today, actually yesterday EST, my cousin smashed an egg over my head. One, singular, egg.
Twelve hours ago, at one PM. It is 1:30 AM right now.

I can still
smell
fucking
egg.

I washed my hair right after. I got the yolk off my face. I showered.
WHERE THE FUCK IS IT.
Black lives matter.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103231 on: May 30, 2016, 12:38:42 am »

snip
Your post reminded me of a scene from a certain show. A lovely scene.
Ooh, I really like that.  I think it's pretty close to my own feelings.
I used to just want to stick around long enough to see the world burn.  I was a teenager and thought I wouldn't have to wait too long :P

Now I just enjoy observing things, I think I could do this for years and years.  Not just the grand parts, but trivial minutiae like old video games or people arguing on forums.  It's like a fractal, the trivial stuff is beautiful in its own way.

Could you really just observe life for years and years? Wouldn't you want to do something? Make yourself know?

I know I'd grow weary, I'd probably toy with the mortals, and soon I'd probably kill myself, or at least go into some kind of suspended animation.

I shudder to think of what torture eternity would be.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103232 on: May 30, 2016, 12:39:35 am »

snip

I really hope you didn't wash your hair with hot water o.O

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103233 on: May 30, 2016, 12:40:30 am »

Not initially.
Black lives matter.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103234 on: May 30, 2016, 12:42:41 am »

If not working as hard was all it took for society to reject someone, there wouldn't be much society left. Or maybe it was at some point, leading the vast majority of the human species that didn't cut it to go "Fuck those guys" and wander off to do their own thing, only with hookers and blow, and are now the only things still alive.

... beyond that, it'd depend on how the chip works. S'currently a straight fact that some antidepressants and whatnot (the closest equivalent we have to happiness chips, unless you want to start comparing them to recreational drugs) actually confer a competitive advantage when it comes to hard work -- it's one of the reasons there's an existent problem vis a vis drug abuse of those particular substances. People with normal endorphin and whatnot balances use 'em largely just so they can work harder.

Really, though... it's questionable if the latter actually would be inclined to work harder. Natural happiness is significantly more inconsistent than a technologically maintained one would be (conceptually, anyway), which means that the motivation of those dealing with it are going to trough and peak sporadically and commonly, regularly disrupting their capability and relative interest in doing work. Their highs may (may) be higher, but they would also have lows at all and those highs wouldn't have a frequency of "always". Your chiphead wouldn't have that problem, and would have one less point of inconsistency in regards to their working patterns. I can tell you right now which of those two almost any business (or any other sort of organization, or most interpersonal considerations, or...) in existence would value more and it ain't the baseline critter :V
Generally, unemployed individuals are less fit for child-rearing, and while love might not be superficial enough to consider only finances or productivity, it is still a cooperation of sort, so someone who does not contribute to society and people around would, you know, not contribute to their fiance either. That's more or less a toxic relationship.

Relationships generally lead to reproduction, or in the case of biologically-incompatible mates, adoption, and in the case of childless mates, to mutual aid in survival which has a ripple effect on society's survival as a whole.

So someone who doesn't "work" would more or less be filtered out from the gene pool, and their ideas filtered out from the collective superego due to them being, y'know, useless.

Addendum: And maybe I shoudl change my opinion from the importance of earned happiness to more on the importance of a system of work-reward. We don't need to be happy, per se, we just need a reason to contribute to society and/or ourselves.

And it's probably a big point in philosophy whether or not people even need to be selfless. This will probably be even a bigger issue when we get robot slaves. My opinion is that it doesn't really matter whether or not it is ethical or not to be selfish. If humans were completely selfish and doesn't contribute whatsoever in a human-robot society, then humans will go extinct. Not even because the robots will rebel, but because humans will just die off because we can't be arsed to reproduce.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:46:37 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103235 on: May 30, 2016, 12:44:35 am »

But this is more or less a question of individual VS society.
society > individual > society
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103236 on: May 30, 2016, 12:46:53 am »

Egg shampoo is a thing. Random search result: http://inashoe.com/2011/02/how-to-do-an-egg-shampoo/
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103237 on: May 30, 2016, 12:48:08 am »

society > individual > society
Ah yes, the only adage that will prevent the robot uprising.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103238 on: May 30, 2016, 12:54:53 am »

I think individuality is more hassle than it's worth to be honest. I don't mind valuing people if they all share a common goal.

I feel conflict is the main thing holding back humanity when it comes to achieving our goals.

Conflict at its core is a "clash of ideals". If everyone has the same ideals, then there will be no conflict (at least inter-human).

At the extreme end, this would mean all people are clones, or perhaps even machines if we do away with organic bodies (but at that point is it really a human or just a hive mind?)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103239 on: May 30, 2016, 01:08:57 am »

A hive-mind would just still be an individual, though. As in, if a schism was caused and there exist separate hive minds, then problems arise again.

Not to mention, a single person doesn't even necessarily have a coherent identity. Clash of ideals? Meet confusion of ideals.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #103240 on: May 30, 2016, 01:22:19 am »

I've been more partial to kind of semi-hive-minds, Y'know, the ones where everyone is connected but they still have some measure of self-identity?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103241 on: May 30, 2016, 01:23:00 am »

I said EVERYONE has the same ideals. One hivemind. The hivemind is a society compared to the people involved.

You can play with words and redefine things as you wish, but it comes down to "components" vs "system (made of components)". You can easily say a system is its own component. An engine is a component of a car, but an ignition chamber is a component of an engine, and a screw a component of the chamber.

A person is a component of a nation, nations are components of humanity.

The answer lies in the topmost system being made of completely identical components.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103242 on: May 30, 2016, 01:33:05 am »

Aside from the moral issue (you would effectively be murdering every individual in the world by overwriting their minds)... Who would find better ways of doing things? Who would object when the hive mind chooses to do something horrifying? Who would think new thoughts, discover new things, come up with solutions to new problems?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103243 on: May 30, 2016, 01:33:40 am »

In an attempt to take this in a new direction.

Do you guys see a point to human activity in occupations that robots do better? Do you believe in some kind of, human emotion that partakes into work? Something visceral, that robots can never do?

I think about these things, specifically within music. We have computers that can play music better than a human ever could. Better timing, always in tune, not restricted by number of fingers.

Yet we still go to see orchestras. Skyward Sword had a live orchestra for its soundtrack while all other Zelda games were done in midi. Is it better played by people?

And before you come talking about composing and such. Machines can do that to, and in tests they are indistinguishable from human compositions.

I am genuinely curious. I know personally I would pay more to see an orchestra, but I can't tell if this is because it sounds better, or because society has told me that I should like it.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #103244 on: May 30, 2016, 01:34:23 am »

how about we all chill out and, iunno, cook
thincake
Pages: 1 ... 6881 6882 [6883] 6884 6885 ... 11037