Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6878 6879 [6880] 6881 6882 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14469481 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #103185 on: May 29, 2016, 08:36:59 pm »

Please no quoting, thank you:

Not strange: merely not what you wish to hear.

Sense; not circuits. Say more in a sentence than a saga. Laser guided, rocket powered, artificial intelligence mousetraps are expensive impediments, not improvements. The spring trap kills mice better and cheaper. Brand everything "smart" as it spies on you. Appliances don't need AI or added expense.

Continue sermonizing the machine orthodoxy. Sneer, snicker, mock, make fun of, but don't complain when your refrigerator is used against you. It will be. Millions will be spent putting you into an Orwellian Hell. Big brother? Why? You'll all conduct surveillance on yourself with Instagram and Foursquare and "check-in." You'll all actually spy on yourselves for the government while footing the bill for it and thinking it's normal / crazy not to.

You do realize I've had clients dragged off to jail over something they're stupid enough to post on facebook, right? The look on their face was tragic as they thought it was "just normal" and "private." Disbelief? Predictable; irrelevant. No, not what they think; what I know....

Very few people educate me; I am aware. Fewer are able to convince me. Please feel free to use the word "should" to refer to what you don't realize are theories used to mask a coming problem in the guise of socially acceptable and cool nightmares.

Come one come all into 1984. I'm not crazy; I'm ahead of the curve; most are behind it.

Technology isn't progress if its actual purpose is spying. Appealing to people's wow factor for "the future," "convenience," and "productivity" is excellent cover. Technocrats: insisting their way is best and insulting all others with an enormous sense of smug as if that will help. :) No. But please do continue.

I am very saddened that people don't get it. I've tried informing them; they've laughed. It's too late; always was.

Please no quoting, thank you:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:43:24 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103186 on: May 29, 2016, 08:42:40 pm »

I don't even have a facebook. :3
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103187 on: May 29, 2016, 08:46:58 pm »

I don't even have a facebook. :3
Only social media I have is a hilariously out of date G+ and a Youtube I've commented on, like, a thing or two with.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #103188 on: May 29, 2016, 08:47:33 pm »

And I.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103189 on: May 29, 2016, 08:53:05 pm »

Yeah, oversharing on Facebook is frankly epidemic.
Personally I don't set anything on Facebook to "private", so everything I post is visible to my parents (even my dad, who doesn't have an account of his own...  Just access to someone's).  And whaddya know, I never post anything there of actual importance!  Every month or 3 I post nature pictures and upvote some funny things my family members post.  Maybe like George Takei's latest things. 

Which means that most of my political leanings are literally public knowledge, but I'm aware of that when I use it.  I'm more worried about what I overshare *here*.  I know I shouldn't, but I do anyway...  It's not safe, it only feels safer.

Anyway, I don't think oversharing on Facebook means we should distrust technology.  People are being mislead about privacy, and should be careful, but it's not the technology that's untrustworthy.  Technology is just useful and saves incalculable time, effort, and lives.

This is another reason open source software is so important, you don't have to trust the developers.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103190 on: May 29, 2016, 08:58:26 pm »

Truean, have you ever considered writing a book? Your posts are always very interesting.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #103191 on: May 29, 2016, 09:05:41 pm »

Zuckerburg disgusts me.

I still find it amusing that the migration of old people to social networking sites consistently drives away young people; most of my peers don't actually use Facebook any more, because their parents are there now and would use it to spy on them in-between sharing reactionary memes featuring Looney Tunes characters and comic sans with their friends.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103192 on: May 29, 2016, 09:08:30 pm »

Truean, have you ever considered writing a book? Your posts are always very interesting.
Honestly, I would probably buy it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103193 on: May 29, 2016, 09:17:37 pm »

Frankly, I wouldn't--her argument seems to revolve around blaming human stupidity on modern technology.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103194 on: May 29, 2016, 09:21:02 pm »

I still admire the writing style.
Sigtext

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103195 on: May 29, 2016, 09:22:11 pm »

Zuckerburg disgusts me.

I still find it amusing that the migration of old people to social networking sites consistently drives away young people; most of my peers don't actually use Facebook any more, because their parents are there now and would use it to spy on them in-between sharing reactionary memes featuring Looney Tunes characters and comic sans with their friends.

For my part, I've never used it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103196 on: May 29, 2016, 09:27:52 pm »

Frankly, I wouldn't--her argument seems to revolve around blaming human stupidity on modern technology.
That's kinda occasional compared to the fascinating legal and personal stories.
Somehow I doubt she wants to publish, though :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #103197 on: May 29, 2016, 09:31:23 pm »

I've been playing Disgaea 3 lately, and I think I'll have to switch the audio to Japanese. Not for any quality reasons, but because the main character, who talks gleefully of cruel experiments and dissecting people (he is a demon after all, even if it's already hinting he's not really as bad as he wants to be), is voiced by the same guy who voiced Edward Elric. It's very jarring.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103198 on: May 29, 2016, 09:33:00 pm »

That's kinda occasional compared to the fascinating legal and personal stories.
Somehow I doubt she wants to publish, though :P
I was kinda running on the assumption that it would be about the whole technology thing. If it was about the whole legal bits, than I'd probably buy it.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #103199 on: May 29, 2016, 09:33:58 pm »

Thank you. Not sure. Someday I might; been asked fairly often. My writing style favors very short, passive tense. Both are disfavored it seems, sadly. I fear rejection may result; pen name? Unsure. Additionally, people not listening to me is the story of my life; them suffering for it later is theirs....

Everyone mistakes cynicism for intelligence today. Question everything, yes, but AGAINST your interest.... Assume the worst and explain why it couldn't happen. Don't demand an explanation why your favored outcome couldn't happen. The universe doesn't owe an answer; that's having it all backwards, and sadly many do.... I operated off this; it produced undesirable correct answers.... I had a very unfortunate tendency to tell the truth where no one ever says what they mean; I should've very accurately translated other people's lies....

I attempt aid, and am accused of seeking control, undue influence, etc. Doctors are paid for tragic diagnoses. Bedside manner yes; lies no. Somehow, I am similar enough, though not the same, certainly not treated as such. I am many bullet holed messenger.

Incidentally, did you see the IRAC (Issue, Rule, Analysis, Conclusion) structure of that short paragraph (the italic lines before this one)? Yes, that is a paragraph, composed of very short sentences yes, but ones a judge will read quickly, thus happily. Note, with so little there; NO margin for error exists. This style is disfavored. Machines do not do things well; they do things quickly and cheaply.... Two descriptors I don't want on important things. :(

Thank you. If only more did.

I worship human intellect, mourn its passing, and long for its return. Intellect is essence of humanity; reason the font of good. It is developed, and as all assets maintained or lost. Outsource it to a machine yields withering of the mind, such tragedy.

Mechanization spares monotony, yet creates atrophy. None doubt the backhoe's use; ability to use a shovel may still be useful. If digging were thought are we burying ourselves (no question mark).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:36:28 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 6878 6879 [6880] 6881 6882 ... 11037