Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6717 6718 [6719] 6720 6721 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460347 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100770 on: April 18, 2016, 07:12:43 pm »

except that argument is completely irrelevant and wrong because carbon-14 dating isn't used for things older than 50,000 years and we have other dating methods that work back that far, but expecting creationists to do any amount of basic research is way past them

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100771 on: April 18, 2016, 07:15:11 pm »

The sky is not blue, it is constantly silver.
Only in the UK, mate :P
It's not silver, it's just grey, normally.
Silver makes it sound far too fancy.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #100772 on: April 18, 2016, 07:26:46 pm »

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100773 on: April 18, 2016, 07:35:03 pm »

HOW LONG HAVE THESE IDIOTS BEEN ARGUING AGAINST EVOLUTION
Not terribly long, actually. For most of its existence Christianity as a whole has been pretty much on board with scientific advances. It's only fairly recently (read: post-reformation) that a small number of hardline conservatives have cropped up demanding that we throw out science because it contradicts the word of God.
Then they all went to America and started breeding. The States' shitty school system doesn't do much to help.

The sky is not blue, it is constantly silver.
Eh. At least creationists have a basis for their ideas. I mean, stringent Biblical literalism isn't a very good basis, but it's more than "I decided to say the sky's silver to be contrary".

The true battlelines aren't even between the creationists and atheists. That's just propaganda (though required propaganda for the message). Creationists use arguments that are entirely unconvincing to an atheist, because atheists are not the target audience for the message:

60% of America believe in evolution, 33% reject it. Yet only 10-15% profess atheism. This puts the percentage who believe in theistic evolution at 45-50% of the total population. Therefore theistic evolution is the most common belief system in the USA, and are therefore the target audience for creationist messages. Basically, the creationists are trying to draw a line in the sand: on this side, you are on the side of God, and if you're on the other side, you're therefore against God. And they're trying to coerce other Christians onto their side of the line.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:39:32 pm by Reelya »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100774 on: April 18, 2016, 07:36:25 pm »

fackin' wat

"Potentially threatening comments".   Unless there is a lot more going on than this story mentions, southwest airlines deserve a big fat massive discrimination lawsuit. 

I'm considering going on a flight soon.  I wonder if I should learn some Arabic so I can talk into a phone speaking in it to see if they'll do the same thing to a white guy.  ...I wonder if southwest does flights here.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100775 on: April 18, 2016, 07:37:58 pm »

I find the debate to be a HUGE "So what?" in the end.

Because EITHER evolution exists.

Or Evolution doesn't exist but God organized the universe in such a way that follows the tenants of evolution.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100776 on: April 18, 2016, 07:38:56 pm »

Or Evolution doesn't exist but God organized the universe in such a way that follows the tenants of evolution.
So even if they win, they're wrong?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100777 on: April 18, 2016, 07:51:40 pm »

So even if they win, they're wrong?

Well we can always theorize that if humans exolved from monkeys and god created humans in his image... then...
Wait would that mean god is a monkey?

I guess you can pull some crazy theories if you try mixing creationism and evolution.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100778 on: April 18, 2016, 07:54:13 pm »

God is whatever the smallest thing is, then.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100779 on: April 18, 2016, 08:00:20 pm »

Isn't this where we get into things like evolution being a creation of God itself, and things like flying spaghetti monsters and ramen noodles?

I always liked the argument of "Isn't it possible that 'God' omitted details of how the universe works because humanity is not ready for the knowledge of literally EVERYTHING?   Compare it to trying to explain to your dog about why it's not allowed in the front yard by itself."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:03:06 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100780 on: April 18, 2016, 08:01:34 pm »

I think this is where we redirect everything to the Religion Thread.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100781 on: April 18, 2016, 08:02:40 pm »

Ramen Noodles are God's holiest manifestation, affordable to those who seek enlightenment without recompense.  Nay, they invest in Knowledge, for to know knowledge is to know Ramen Noodle itself.  Thus are they made ready for what is to come.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #100782 on: April 18, 2016, 08:11:56 pm »

:|

Hoo there intolerant dogmatic forumbro.

Yea, I'm intolerant of ignorance. One of the few things I'm intolerant of. Maybe not the best, aye, but out of all the intolerances, ignorance is one of the best least bad.

What does who there mean what who when? *breath* What does "hoo there" mean?

-snip-
I leave you the advice that this is an irritating, dangerous, and unfulfilling road to trek down. Talking down loonies is A) nigh-impossible and B) rarely worth the effort.

I've been there, though, and most certainly agree that antiscience "crusaders" are irritating. I just try to ignore them now, usually works out. Not like some random internet post along the lines of 'evolution is a lie!!!!! repent sinners" is going to lead to some kind of catastrophic sociopolitical spiral.

...on a totally unrelated note, have you always been a girl? I could've sworn your profile said "male" last time I checked. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
it was... science... to see if anyone would notice

and say something

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100783 on: April 18, 2016, 08:14:24 pm »

Its really funny.  I hear creationists say the same thing.

Much, much more interestingly though, is how intolerance of 'awful' things really throws the concept of morality into question.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #100784 on: April 18, 2016, 08:25:18 pm »

What does who there mean what who when? *breath* What does "hoo there" mean?
wewlad
e
w
l
a
d

Yea, I'm intolerant of ignorance. One of the few things I'm intolerant of. Maybe not the best, aye, but out of all the intolerances, ignorance is one of the best least bad.
It's not really comparable to ignorance. Creationism is Bible before science, whereas most other Christians would say that the Bible is on par with science (esp. considering we have passages that straight-up say we learn about God by learning about the world). Nonchristians would obviously put science before the Bible. None of these are particularly ignorant (unless you're an angry atheist who hates religion).

Don't get me wrong, it is a belief that is hugely correlated with ignorance, but please don't act like creationists are all horribly stupid people.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 6717 6718 [6719] 6720 6721 ... 11040