Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is it you enjoy about Adventure Mode?  (Read 2342 times)

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is it you enjoy about Adventure Mode?
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:27:35 pm »

I've played a bunch of Fortress Mode, and I've played some Adventure Mode, and I've gotten to wondering.  Lots of folks on this forum like both, but some will say that they only play Adventure Mode.  To you I ask: what do you do in it?

As far as I can tell, there are only three things to do:

1.  Revisit your old fortress(es).  But for that, you have to like Fortress Mode enough to make some.
2.  Do quests.  But for that, you have to have a world generated where you can find quest-givers, or even people.
3.  Pursue a user-defined goal.  And the only goal I have heard so far is genocide.

My experience has been as follows:

1.  Well, I like revisiting a fortress.  I recently had a blast fending off a ninety-goblins-and-trolls seige, fortified with surprise attacks from my former prisoners, while standing amidst the not-quite-dry-yet lava in my entry hall.
2.  I've gotten one quest so far.  I killed the target dragon in a single hit.
3.  Those last straggling people who could be anywhere, and I feel I would get more accomplishment from Fortress Mode user-defined goals than from hunting down victims.

Therefore, I do not understand what people are doing if they enjoy adventuring to the exclusion of fort building.  I note that with the upcoming night creatures, adventuring could become way more fun.  But for now, what is it that attracts you to the mode?

--Rexfelum

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is it you enjoy about Adventure Mode?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:46:51 pm »

I'm a prime example of the large number of people you describe who just stick to adventure mode because the learning curve isn't as insane. A large part of them are also in it for the greater detailing of the highly-amusing violence the game produces (see the thread about wambler-based bronze colossus decapitation).

Personally, it fulfills my craving for a more visceral, free-form roguelike where I can enjoy dicking around in a fantasy world with as little goal as I always wanted. Plus, I really like the battle system, and the amount of MacGuyvering it can result in.

Dr_Pylons

• Bay Watcher
  • [GREEDY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:47:07 am »

For me, it's the same reason I liked the game Oblivion: exploring. I love just going places and seeing things, and while Dorf Fort isn't exactly in a really mature stage yet as far as structures in towns/civilizations go, it's still really exciting for me to see them. What gods do they worship? Is their leader a demon? Are they worth sacrificing to Armok? (The answer is always, of course, YES). Personally, I enjoy both modes equally. The ability to literally descend into hell: AMAZING. I think the immersive nature of DF is something that few games can offer. I can recruit serpent-men from underground caves to help me kill demons from Hell-- what other game does that? That's why I love adventure mode, and moreover, DF in general. Praise be to Armok.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 08:23:28 am »

Well I like it for some reasons already said, but also that if your adventurer is awesome enough you could become a figure of legend for your Dorfs to start engraving into your Fortress. That's pretty cool.

If I could ever find a bloody quest-giver, friggin' civilization sprawl.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:00:12 pm »

Well, so far it sounds like I do have a grasp on what Adventure Mode has to offer.  Once the cities get tidied up more, I imagine it will be more satisfying to go through them.  The night creature thing surely will add a new dimension, and in fact I'm holding off on generating a new world until they are implemented so I can see what they do to history.

--Rexfelum

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 12:47:01 pm »

Well, so far it sounds like I do have a grasp on what Adventure Mode has to offer.  Once the cities get tidied up more, I imagine it will be more satisfying to go through them.  The night creature thing surely will add a new dimension, and in fact I'm holding off on generating a new world until they are implemented so I can see what they do to history.

--Rexfelum

Actually, what I'm most interested in the thief, explorer, and trader adventure roles. More stuff to fight that's easier than megabeast but harder than most normal creatures is nice, though.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 01:41:47 pm »

I go down to explore the underground, maybe do a few quest and once I feel strong enough, I visit hell to see how many demons I can kill before they ultimately best me. It's good fun, mostly because you never know what you will find.

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 01:43:21 pm »

What I enjoy about adventure mode is the characters in it.  I can experience the things they do first hand and it will just increase as features are added.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 01:43:41 pm »

Actually, what I'm most interested in the thief, explorer, and trader adventure roles. More stuff to fight that's easier than megabeast but harder than most normal creatures is nice, though.

For my part, I'm sorta thinking a blurry mix of what you're saying.  By "thief, explorer, and trader" you're referencing "game content that doesn't directly equate to hack-and-slash," right?  That's usually a good thing to see.  So, for the night creatures, I'm thinking the same thing: not so much the "easier than megabeast but harder than most normal creatures" part (c'mon, I killed a dragon in one hit), but all the stuff Toady is saying about how he'll update town content to go with it.

--Rexfelum

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 02:15:47 pm »

^Yes, that's really what I'm interested in.

Also, dragons might get a lot harder to fight once Toad implements (in)ability to reach body parts.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 07:07:54 pm »

Personally, I enjoy the the journey, events and the tales that I myself am making as I go through my generated worlds & everything in between.

For now there isn't really much sure, but for the most part people are simply limiting themselves, action wise or story wise...try expanding upon the events & your actions, immerse yourself through your adventurers eyes through events that "naturally" occurs (through bugs or unforeseen outcomes like a Giant Spider popping out of no where) or through the consequences of your actions (like leading a semi/megabeast into town).

Like Fortress Mode, we create our own fun quite often...be creative! Play with fire in new ways!
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 11:52:27 pm »

2.  Do quests.  But for that, you have to have a world generated where you can find quest-givers, or even people.
 . . .

Ooh, if the recent development stuff is to be believed (and why, truly, would the Toady One lie to us?), then quests will be much easier to initiate soon.  That is very nice to see, as quests sure help with the feeling that "something's happening."

--Rexfelum

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 12:22:14 am »

. . .

Ooh, if the recent development stuff is to be believed (and why, truly, would the Toady One lie to us?), then quests will be much easier to initiate soon.  That is very nice to see, as quests sure help with the feeling that "something's happening."

--Rexfelum

May he can fix it so warlords will no longer request that you kill demons which are leaders of their own civilization, making the mission impossible to truly take off your list and potentially causing loyalty cascades.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 03:06:44 am »

I find it a fun way to meet (and play as!) cool characters.

My sister, for instance, just stumbled across a dwarf that had three cyclopes, a giant, and an ettin on his kill list. Another was wearing a ton of trophies made out of unicorn leather and bone, but was also missing his entire left leg. These are characters that make me want to draw, heh.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 09:49:32 pm »

I enjoy writing my name in the history books with a rusted, bloody blade. It gives me a very strong sense of satisfaction whenever I see one of my adventurers standing over a cringing world leader engraved into the walls of my forts.
Pages: [1] 2