Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the game be open or locked on twilight phase?

Open.
- 4 (57.1%)
Locked.
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: October 22, 2010, 02:25:09 am

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Vengeful Mafia 3 - Over, Mafia wins.  (Read 25514 times)

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: Vengeful Mafia 3 - Day 1
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2010, 04:46:40 pm »

Seeing this in the light of day, I can't believe just how screwed we were. I was already planning my victory dance for making town win a game at last! "We have this in the bag" I thought. "It's a sure thing", I thought... but no. We were utterly screwed. And Pandar, sorry, but it was your fault (partly, I screwed up too, but mostly you).

a) As IronyOwl said, you became what you most despised. You not just buddied scum, you shielded, screened, defended and chainsaw defended scum, unapologetically. Point me to one attack you did on Toony. One probing question. One hint of mistrust. There are none. You overtunneled again, on me, eliminating all other possible considerations; your only other passing thought was to mark Archie as my scumbuddy for no reason whatsoever, other than his pressing Toony to answer my questions.

b) Archangel was innocent. We were pushing him to hammer one of two townies, and would have yelled at him for stalling the game if he hadn't. And as we've seen, whoever he hammered would have vengekilled the other. Same result. But Archie, your lurking/homework/timezone/whatever really didn't help. You didn't play this game. You did the bare minimum and showed up with only token efforts. Sure, life sucks sometimes, but still. A post a day is fine in most games, but this is supposed to be a quick, fast-paced, almost video-gamey twitch affair. Both you and Janus dragged it out painfully. We could have been here talking post-game by Sunday afternoon.

c) Even if I had vengekill'd Toony instead of Pandar (as I had half a mind to do up to the last minute) we were still hosed: Once Toony flipped scum, Janus and Archangel would have hammered Pandar quite quickly. Same result. The only chance for town was if Archie hammered Pandar and he somehow got enlightened enough to vengekill Janus, but there was no chance of that based on the thread record.

d) About asking you to self hammer: I was sure you were bluffing, and forcing you to recant would be (in my mind) proving your scummitude. Self hammering is not a losing proposition for town; sure it's not as good as hanging scum, but if you are sure to hit scum, and his partner is clear enough (as it was this game, dammit. Reread the thread, Pandar, and tell me you weren't Toony's partner, unwitting or not!), it can work and move the game forward. Hell, if Archie had lurked away again to do homework I'd have self hammered and shoot Pandar anyway; I was ready to do it. Would have had the same results, to be sure, but I was just fed up with the waiting, and was sure you were scum.

e) I did screw up in not pressing Janus enough. With Archie it was hard, due to the lurking, but once Janus came back after the weekend I should have pressed him more. Unfortunately, the weekend was fast and furious for the other three of us, to the point where we had pretty much made up our minds, so there was little incentive. I also should have smelled a rat on Janus' vote on Pandar instead of Toony, but I was impatient and was aching for resolution, so I went along with it. They're both scum, what's the harm?

f) Bah. Humbug.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2010, 04:54:07 pm »

e) I did screw up in not pressing Janus enough. With Archie it was hard, due to the lurking, but once Janus came back after the weekend I should have pressed him more. Unfortunately, the weekend was fast and furious for the other three of us, to the point where we had pretty much made up our minds, so there was little incentive. I also should have smelled a rat on Janus' vote on Pandar instead of Toony, but I was impatient and was aching for resolution, so I went along with it. They're both scum, what's the harm?

I made the mistake of not voting Pandarsenic before your vote was on him.  It would have been cleaner (and less suspicious) if I had.  On the other hand, knowing that you were likely thinking they're both scum is exactly why I phrased my post the way I did, with ToonyMan screening Pandarsenic.  If you had pushed it, I would have bussed ToonyMan, and this could have been a much more complex game.

On another note, if I may make a suggestion: you (Zathras) should keep more of an eye on being buddied.  It's human nature to think more highly of people that think like you and it's a dangerous trap to fall into (especially in Mafia :D).  Of course, sometimes you get townies that really do agree with you, but it's still something to keep in the back of your mind.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2010, 04:54:33 pm »

A couple of additional thoughts:

g) Ottofar, thanks for an enjoyable game. Sorry about your headache, and about the flimsy tip that cheap, scummy bastard ToonyMan left for you. Please run another, though I think it'd be healthier for the game and me if I just sit out the next one.

h) Good game, scum. Well played. Toony was too obvscum, but Janus (and Pandar!) did a great screening job to take the game home for scum.

i) Bah. Humbug. Squared. BAH! I say! BAH!

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2010, 04:59:52 pm »

If you had pushed it, I would have bussed ToonyMan, and this could have been a much more complex game.
I should have... and perhaps I would have if we had had that conversation on Saturday, instead of Monday. Weekends, shmeekends, this is one example where the lurking was the absolute winning strategy for scum. I was just too impatient and would have done anything by that time to move it forward (including losing the game, evidently). But yeah. My bad.

Quote from: Janus
On another note, if I may make a suggestion: you (Zathras) should keep more of an eye on being buddied.  It's human nature to think more highly of people that think like you and it's a dangerous trap to fall into (especially in Mafia :D).  Of course, sometimes you get townies that really do agree with you, but it's still something to keep in the back of your mind.
True, and I'll keep an eye for it. It's hard not to think highly of people enlightened enough to see the TRUTH that are the pearls of wisdom emanating from my fingertips, especially after they lovingly embrace the silliness and limericking...

But yeah, point taken.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 26, 2010, 05:47:55 pm »

We were just a bit outrageously tunneled, Zath.

Also, Archangel was incredibly derp when he attacked Toony for attacking you. That was a large part of why I was so sure you were the Godfather.

But yeah, Zath, I think we should both in on the next one and try again >_<

WITH THE ATTENDANCE BOARD ROLLING THIS TIME THOUGH

UGH
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2010, 05:53:27 pm »

Eh?

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2010, 06:01:18 pm »

We were just a bit outrageously tunneled, Zath.
Bullshit. You tunneled. I was onto Toony like white on rice, not just on you.

Also, Archangel was incredibly derp when he attacked Toony for attacking you. That was a large part of why I was so sure you were the Godfather.
Bullshit the second. He didn't attack him, he said "answer the question"; that's not an attack. I can't believe you are still defending him. Get his dick out of your mouth already! The game is over!

And have the balls to admit you did screw up, defended scum for no good reason, and failed to press anyone else but me (and a little bit of Arch for daring to question Toony).

But yeah, Zath, I think we should both in on the next one and try again >_<
I admit I'm tempted. I don't like games to get repetitive, though, and I'll be in three games already when that starts, so I'm not sure. We'll see when the time comes.

Truth. With that in mind, two points:

a) Ottofar, you should tell Webadict (in the ranking thread, here, or in PM) the record of the game so it can go on the new board (first one!). Something like "No prods, no replaces", with the list of players, should be enough, unless you did prod someone.

b) Ottofar, I like the current iteration of the rules (post your role on death and so on), but perhaps you should add stricter anti-lurking provisions to keep the game fast paced; something like prod after 24hrs, second prod=modkill (not replacing, that'd kill a game like this), or whatever is reached through consensus.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 06:14:26 pm by Zathras »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2010, 06:06:46 pm »

Re Janus: Lurking allowed bullshit to happen. Archangel did something stupid then I thought he was scum for the rest of the game because it was the only read I ever had a chance to get on him, 'cause he was MIA forever.

Re Zathras: Archangel said "Bluh bluh bluh or die." If you want someone to answer a question, you tell them to answer a question. If you're panicking over someone being attacked, you tell them bluh bluh bluh or die. That phrasing reeked of chainsaw.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2010, 06:13:08 pm »

Really? You are justifying your play based on "or die"? He didn't even vote him! Bah. Flimsy to the nth degree... but whatever. Any opinions or additions on the other ten points I mentioned earlier on the page?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2010, 06:19:30 pm »

Re Janus: Lurking allowed bullshit to happen. Archangel did something stupid then I thought he was scum for the rest of the game because it was the only read I ever had a chance to get on him, 'cause he was MIA forever.

Who's lurking?

If Archangel, he posted every day of the game except for Sunday the 24th (from EST, not his time zone).  Sure he didn't post much, but he was around.  You could have pushed him harder to be active more.  If I had been town I certainly would have.

If me, don't even try that.  I don't always post that terribly often because I have about a million other things to do, but when I do post they're nice and long.  Even as scum, I had more useful content (IMO, which I admit is biased) then you did this game.

If Zathras or ToonyMan... Yeah, I have no idea.  I'll assume you didn't mean either of them.

On the other hand, Archangel, you probably shouldn't join small/fast games.  With the time zone restrictions you just can't interact with most of the players.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2010, 06:42:03 pm »

Really? You are justifying your play based on "or die"? He didn't even vote him! Bah. Flimsy to the nth degree... but whatever. Any opinions or additions on the other ten points I mentioned earlier on the page?
Nope, they're all pretty much on the spot.

Who's lurking?

If Archangel, he posted every day of the game except for Sunday the 24th (from EST, not his time zone).  Sure he didn't post much, but he was around.  You could have pushed him harder to be active more.  If I had been town I certainly would have.

If me, don't even try that.  I don't always post that terribly often because I have about a million other things to do, but when I do post they're nice and long.  Even as scum, I had more useful content (IMO, which I admit is biased) then you did this game.

If Zathras or ToonyMan... Yeah, I have no idea.  I'll assume you didn't mean either of them.

On the other hand, Archangel, you probably shouldn't join small/fast games.  With the time zone restrictions you just can't interact with most of the players.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Archangel. Like it said in the post. The only content he ever gave convinced me he was scum and then he didn't post again, like, ever.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2010, 06:50:06 pm »

Archangel. Like it said in the post. The only content he ever gave convinced me he was scum and then he didn't post again, like, ever.

Allow me to clarify:  I really wish that Archangel had posted more, although it certainly didn't hurt the scumteam's chances of winning that he didn't.  But I don't think he lurked hard enough to be penalized for it officially.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2010, 07:38:28 pm »

Yes, but the last time we had Attendance Rankings he started playing with more content and more frequently so he wouldn't get docked.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2010, 08:52:15 pm »

If I was so obvscum you would have voted me instead of Pandarsenic.  Now you're bashing my play-style this game, which I thought was really good.  Even Webadict thought I was town.  You are just bitter with yourself.

Good game Janus.  :3

Sorry Panda.  ;_;

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2010, 08:57:13 pm »

If I was so obvscum you would have voted me instead of Pandarsenic.  Now you're bashing my play-style this game, which I thought was really good.  Even Webadict thought I was town.  You are just bitter with yourself.

I thought you were scum.  :)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14