Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: You are all monsters.  (Read 73110 times)

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
Re: You are all monsters.
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2010, 04:06:53 pm »

If it shows up in the building materials screen, it's fair play for building materials.

I'm fairly nice to my dwarves, honestly. Yes, I have the Nobles-Only Atom Smashing Bedroom Of Horror(tm), but nobles aren't real dwarves.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2010, 04:19:20 pm »

I'm only staring at this when you post this topic:

"The [my dwarves] has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in slaughter lately (after killing a wave of conservatie elves). He admired a tasteflully arranged Statue lately. He admired his own door lately. He has been annoyed by flies.

I'm also annoyed by 'flies', whoever 'it' or 'they' are.

Azgog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2010, 05:19:45 pm »

Utilitarism over everything else. That's my code code of coduct.

Why the hell would I waste effort in burial if I can just as well throw the bodies down the chasm? At least it'll show the others what they're getting if they dare to die in my fort. Killing kittens is also perfectly reasonable, since I only need a specific amount in order to keep the vermin population down. Anything else is just wasted food. The smartest thing to do, of course, would be to restrict the fort's feline population to only males or only females, but even then you'd have to be vigilant about the cats migrating into the fort.

But there are two sides to my approach. I don't, for instance, kill "useless" migrants - arranging the means for their termination would either be a waste of labour and time (i'm a neurotic fort architect, I always embark with 6 miners and there's bound to be something at works most of the time) or put my useful dwarves in jeopardy somehow, such as when gathering them to a platform and dropping it to a chasm (the miner could get hurt). And magma... i don't trust that shit. Too many obsidianized forts in the past. So instead, whenever I get unwanted migrants, I send their useless asses down to the coal mines to breathe on lignite dust and die off when it's their time to go. That way they still contribute to the fort economy and spare my real miners from black lung.

But, you know. Sometimes that little bit of elf in me says I could treat my people a little better. So I like to justify the need of maximal efficiency to myself by embarking to freezing tundras, glaciers, wastelands and deserts.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 05:25:07 pm by Azgog »
"I REQUIRE LUMBER"
"We have plenty of lumber"
".... BUT I WANT THIS KIND!"
"What kind?"
"THE KIND WHERE YOU SHUT THE HELL UP!"

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2010, 05:23:44 pm »

I've been reading. I've been reading as if this was real life, and we are all managers of dwarven colonies.
(Omnipresent will-o-teh-dwarves managers)

"I've been keeping some puppies in cages so they can't be adopted, and I can slaughter them."
The same thing with kittens. Other furry animals even. Not even the ugly ones, like cows.

You are all sociopaths.

Especially the trash compactor drawbridge maneuvers, regarding immigrants.
Burning people alive to save resources. That's not the worst, moders, who burn
people alive to garner resources. Baby bones. Baby Bones.

The mayor just wants some leather hats. Give him the hats, Jesus.
  • He need not be drowned, or burned, or both at the same time.
  • Fall down large pit and then drowned and burned.
  • Impaled as well?
  • *Noble bones are worth the same as baby bones*

Are there any others affected in an emotional manner by these atrocities? Please, let your voice be heard.

I feel guilty as soon as my dwarves fall below "Happy".
I don't breed kittens or puppies.
I do whatever I can to keep my dwarves uninjured.
I give every dwarf that has died a tomb or atleast a nicely decorated 3x3 room with their grave, the more important to the fort, the bigger the tomb.
And most of all, to the pain of every "true" DF player:
I keep my nobles well fed and give them majestic houses and treat them like the best.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2010, 05:35:34 pm »

You are all monsters.
Yes. Yes, we are. Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. :D

That said, I generally take good care of my dwarves, leaving the sociopathic murderfests to Adventure Mode(where it's a more personal touch). Basically, like, say, a tower-defence type game, I build up the most badass thing I can, defend as hard as possible, and failing that, go out in best blaze of glory I can.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2010, 05:39:17 pm »

I try to look after my Dwarves. When stuff happens my mind automatically thinks of stories happening, so I prefer to let it unfold rather than change it myself. I treat my nobles well, for example, I built a huge palace for my queen, full of gold and silver, complete with huge underground gardens with rivers, a library, various rooms, a ballroom, guest bedrooms, a temple, a huge throne room and more. She never ever issued a mandate, and was listed as compassionate, so I imagined she refused to issue mandates for fear they wouldn't be met and someone hurt. Not long after the palace's construction she died of old age with no heirs, igniting a tantrum spiral that so far has killed a quarter of the fort. I like to imagine it's a civil war to see who will succeed her.

It's stuff like that that keeps me from massacring dorfs, even nobles, because they all make these little stories. :)
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2010, 05:51:45 pm »

Perhaps he merely means that improper burial of dwarves will attract more night creatures. Toady One isn't insane/irrational.

Which "he": Drakeero, Itnetlolor, or the Toady One?

--Rexfelum

Toady One, sorry
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2010, 06:13:54 pm »

I'm nice to my dwarves.

I give each of them pretty mechanical toys (well-stocked weapon traps at the entrance of their room). I try to keep them out of combat by installing a fully automated defense system. I entertain them with pretty waterfalls, designed so they will occasionally contain interesting creatures. Noble mandates will be met if at all possible, and if they can't... well, both my noble chambers and my jails tend to be comfortable enough that nobody needs to get stressed about it. If someone demands something impossible, I do the best I can ('I haven't figured out how to make slade items, but I can take you directly to the source if you like the stuff that much'). I feed them delicious, high-quality kitten roasts. Above all, I realise dwarves live in a harsh world and try to get them to the point where they don't really care about anything any more... while still being ecstatic.

occulten

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2010, 06:29:54 pm »

I am so sorry, I will immediately go right back to shooting brown people on call of duty this very instant like a good american...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2010, 07:09:00 pm »

Old meme is old, but what the hell...

You are all monsters.

No, Macalano, you are the monsters.  And then Macalano was a dwarf.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2010, 07:24:12 pm »

I'm actually pretty nice to my dwarves. However I'm very cruel to enemies. Heh. Heh heh. *cough*Arenaofdoom*cough*
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2010, 07:45:18 pm »

In one of my more recent forts, I have cats as my lookout. They're chained along the visible, yet vulerable (to projectiles), though impassable, corners of the fort walls (which most are separated by a pond). I call it the KittyCam 9000. If one's lost, then there's an invasion. They're okay for spotting kobolds too, and it keeps the cat population under control.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2010, 07:46:58 pm »

In one of my more recent forts, I have cats as my lookout. They're chained along the visible, yet vulerable (to projectiles), though impassable, corners of the fort walls (which most are separated by a pond). I call it the KittyCam 9000. If one's lost, then there's an invasion. They're okay for spotting kobolds too, and it keeps the cat population under control.
A more cat-friendly approach is fortifications before windows, then the cat.
Like this:F=Fortification W=Window c=Cat
FWc
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2010, 10:22:26 pm »

i remember back in 40d when i modded elves to breed. i would catch the parents of a child in a cage then pit them with a tentacle demon. then i would force the child to run around the pit which was lined with weapon traps with one whip each. that way the parent were permenantly coated in the blood of their child while stuck in a tiny pit with a "friend" :)
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2010, 10:43:35 pm »

i remember back in 40d when i modded elves to breed. i would catch the parents of a child in a cage then pit them with a tentacle demon. then i would force the child to run around the pit which was lined with weapon traps with one whip each. that way the parent were permenantly coated in the blood of their child while stuck in a tiny pit with a "friend" :)

That is just... awesome.

Hey guys, what does the thumbs down for this thread mean?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18