Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: military equipping one gauntlet: workaround  (Read 2818 times)

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
military equipping one gauntlet: workaround
« on: October 14, 2010, 04:01:29 pm »

(Posting in Questions in case anyone searches for this topic later, though I've actually figured out a workaround for the problem.)

So I had one military dwarf, Thikut, assigned to his own squad, and he who wore all his armor properly.  Later I drafted two more dwarfs, Vabok and Iden,  into a new squad for training, but they only wore one gauntlet each.  So I told them to remove all civilian clothes, and reequipped them over and over.  If they just randomly put their armor on incorrectly, they'd eventually do it the right way, right? No dice.  They refused to wear two gauntlets no matter what. I started reforming the squads- one squad, three squads, different captains, etc., and noticed that no matter what dwarf was in what position, the first to equip would always wear wear two gauntlets, the second would wear a left gauntlet, and the third would always wear a right gauntlet.  Wtf.  It wasn't just that these new recruits were retards, because if Iden was the first to equip, he'd do it properly and Thikut, the original dwarf, would be left with one gauntlet. 

Slot #2 and #3 in the military list always divided one pair of gloves between them.

So finally, I put the Thikut (#1) in his own squad and equipped him. Then assigned my two mechanics, Kib and Shorast, to be in an active/unscheduled squad (#2 &#3) equipped only with gauntlets. They each put on one gauntlet as the others had.  Then I assigned Iden and Vabok (now #4 & #5) to Thikut's squad and, miraculously, they both put on their gauntlets correctly. So I didn't stop the bug, i just passed the problem off to some non-combatants.  Now Kib the creepy-girl mechanic (the one with the pet roach) is walking around my fortress starkers except for a masterwork steel glove and a smile.  I imagine she gives the other mechanic clanging high fives in the hallway and everyone cringes. 

Other people have had the one-gauntlet problem, and MAYBE this would work for them. This is 31.12, but I doubt this bug has been fixed as of 31.16. 

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: military equipping one gauntlet: workaround
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:10:14 pm »

Another workaround for this bug is to assign two sets of gauntlets in your squad's uniform.  That way if the dwarf skips a left gauntlet he'll still have the other left gauntlet.  Hopefully.  I haven't studied military equipment donning in full SCIENCE!-tific detail.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Zander J

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:18:47 am »

i've had dorfs not wearing any gauntlets, and yet in the military screen, it says they are wearing metal gauntlets. i have metal gauntlets available in my stockpiles, just sitting there. and yet, some other dorfs in the same squad are properly wearing left and right. any ideas on what's going on?  ???
Quote from: Toady One on January 21, 2012, 09:22:43 pm

Dwarves are still stupid.

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:41:48 am »

any ideas on what's going on?  ???

Yeah, you would too if you would read the starting post...
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:17:59 am »

I had encountered this bug myself but haven't studied it in detail. The thread on the official bug tracker seems to figured out the mechanics of this bug:

1. Higher squad positions have strictly more priority with claiming equipment.
2. When assigned "gauntlets" a dwarf tries to claim 2 gauntlets.
3. Dwarves don't care about "left" and "right". At all.

Effect - after a dwarf claimed 1 best available gauntlet, he claims the best of all left available gauntlets without distinguishing handedness both times.  If you have 2 masterwork, 2 exceptional, 2 superior, 2 finely-crafted, 2 well-crafted and 2 common gauntlets (1 right and 1 left of each) - you will never have any problems with gauntlet equipping. If however you have 20 masterwork left and 20 exceptional right gauntlets (it can happen because production of a pair of gauntlets is not guaranteed to be the same quality) - your first squad of 10 dwarves will claim 2 masterwork left gauntlets each and your second squad - 2 exceptional right gauntlets each.

One possible partial workaround is to forbid excessive gauntlets of each quality level.

It could be nice to have at least equipment options "left gauntlet" and "right gauntlet" instead of "gauntlets" until this bug is properly fixed.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 12:36:18 pm »

It could be nice to have at least equipment options "left gauntlet" and "right gauntlet" instead of "gauntlets" until this bug is properly fixed.
Actually, allowing the assigning left/right gloves and boots, while a bit explicit, would be very nice.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 12:49:32 pm »

Actually, allowing the assigning left/right gloves and boots, while a bit explicit, would be very nice.

Actually, there's no such thing as left/right footwear in Dwarf Fortress - only handwear is that way.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 12:56:03 pm »

Can dwarves higher up in the squad list take stuff from dwarves below them?

I.e. if you forbid all gloves except for one pair, and the dwarf equips them properly, and you do that a couple of times until you equip all your dwarves properly... then will they stay that way, so long as you don't create higher-value gauntlets, or take them off military duty?

Zander J

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 07:59:10 pm »

any ideas on what's going on?  ???

Yeah, you would too if you would read the starting post...

Actually, there's no mention of dwarves wearing no gauntlets despite the equipment screen in the original post.  ::)
Quote from: Toady One on January 21, 2012, 09:22:43 pm

Dwarves are still stupid.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 08:02:56 pm »

Does assigning each dwarf two specific gauntlets of appropriate handedness work?
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

HermitDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 08:07:28 pm »

Yes, and will continue to work for a small military. It's when you need to arm and equip more than 10 dwarves or so that it becomes a problem, since specific gear is not removed from the list when it's ordered to be equiped.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 08:13:18 pm »

I would think forbidding any odd number of each quality of gauntlets via the stock screens should fix the issue. Just make sure your bookkeeper is set to to the highest level of accuracy.